Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil boiler

• 18-10-2013 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I haven't so much as put oil in the system for about three years so it hasn't had any use at all and naturally expected issues when I went to start it up recently. I did get someone to bleed it as would have dealt with empty tank and air locks in the past but this time it's not putting out anything at all. There doesn't seem to be an air lock as the oil was flowing freely after bleeding and it kicked in momentarily for a bit but then shut down, can't get so much as a hum out of it now. We thought it was an electrical problem so put in a different fuse but no joy, was told a filter might be clogged up but I haven't a clue where to find said filter let alone address the issue. Boiler is apx 12 years old, any ideas before I go call an engineer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

pharmaton wrote: »
    I haven't so much as put oil in the system for about three years so it hasn't had any use at all and naturally expected issues when I went to start it up recently. I did get someone to bleed it as would have dealt with empty tank and air locks in the past but this time it's not putting out anything at all. There doesn't seem to be an air lock as the oil was flowing freely after bleeding and it kicked in momentarily for a bit but then shut down, can't get so much as a hum out of it now. We thought it was an electrical problem so put in a different fuse but no joy, was told a filter might be clogged up but I haven't a clue where to find said filter let alone address the issue. Boiler is apx 12 years old, any ideas before I go call an engineer?

quote]

Try the reset button on the boiler stat ( usually under the black cap) Chances are you're circulating pump is seized, the heat couldn't go to the house and tripped the stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I would check the quality of that fuel, a tank left empty for 3 years will be suseptable to condensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

tried the restart button already with no response, I'm not even getting so much as the sound of a connection when it's switched on let alone the sound of the boiler firing, just nothing it's dead. I don't even want to imagine the cost of replacing a pump if it comes to it. How much would I be looking at?

tried the restart button already with no response, I'm not even getting so much as the sound of a connection when it's switched on let alone the sound of the boiler firing, just nothing it's dead. I don't even want to imagine the cost of replacing a pump if it comes to it. How much would I be looking at?

Are your stats in the house calling for heat?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are your stats in the house calling for heat?

I'm calling for heat :D

• Advertisement

What "restart" are you pushing ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

sounds like your hl stat has tripped

What "restart" are you pushing ???
    there's a red button on the burner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Is the red button lite up

crock! wrote: »
    Is the red button lite up
    no I don't think so although I couldn't be sure as I've only ever seen it in daylight. I remember when it was installed the fitter telling me that if it didn't grunt on start up to just hold down that button for a second or two, which I've done occasionally over the years (but which didn't make any difference as the only time it didnt start was when it needed to be bled after letting the tank run out)

• Advertisement

So are all the stats turned up in the house, including the stat at the boiler??

So are all the stats turned up in the house, including the stat at the boiler??
    there is no stat in the house, just the timer switch. Afaik the stat on the burner was turned down a couple of years ago to make the fuel last a bit longer. Do you recommend it be turned up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

there is no stat in the house, just the timer switch. Afaik the stat on the burner was turned down a couple of years ago to make the fuel last a bit longer. Do you recommend it be turned up ?
    Turn it up and see if burner runs.

It's probably not the cause but turn it up. Are you sure you've checked the high limit stat properly? Also is there any sound at all when you reset the burner?? Even a slight humming noise?

It's probably not the cause but turn it up. Are you sure you've checked the high limit stat properly? Also is there any sound at all when you reset the burner?? Even a slight humming noise?
    I'll get the brother to have a look tomorrow. There's no noise at all, this is the thing. I'm familiar with the sound of it at this stage and I'm not even getting the initial whirr that would denote it's been turned on.

I'll get the brother to have a look tomorrow. There's no noise at all, this is the thing. I'm familiar with the sound of it at this stage and I'm not even getting the initial whirr that would denote it's been turned on.

Usually when the boiler is dead like you say it's the high limit stat. If the burner is silent or there's a very slight humming noise it's the capacitor. Keep us updated anyway

I dont think he's touched the hi stat.

I really wouldn't know about how it's set myself, the brother was the last to play with it but I do remember him saying if it was turned down it would regulate the amount of fuel burned so I let him fiddle. I didn't think it would have any affect on getting it started but I will say it to him. (feel like it's going to be a call out either way) Thanks for the help folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

can you post a photo of boiler and burner

jimf wrote: »
    can you post a photo of boiler and burner
    yep but not at the minute s it's dark, raining and I don't have lighting/torch/umbrella :) I'll post up in the morning.

• Advertisement

I said it to him earlier billy. He said he checked it. Maybe he didn't check it right

I said it to him earlier billy. He said he checked it. Maybe he didn't check it right

I know you told him on post #2 but i dont think he really read the post, he replied he had tried the "restart", which i take to be the lock out button, when i asked they replied "there's a red button on the burner " :rolleyes:

I know you told him on post #2 but i dont think he really read the post, he replied he had tried the "restart", which i take to be the lock out button, when i asked they replied "there's a red button on the burner " :rolleyes:
    He's a she and her has little plumbing knowledge but I do know where the big red button is. I'll take a pic of the boiler tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about. I'm doing my best to answer the questions you've asked, I really don't understand the rolleyes response you're giving me. If you can't offer advice without being condescending maybe you should step aside and let the thread move along in it's own way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

He's a she and her has little plumbing knowledge but I do know where the big red button is. I'll take a pic of the boiler tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about. I'm doing my best to answer the questions you've asked, I really don't understand the rolleyes response you're giving me. If you can't offer advice without being condescending maybe you should step aside and let the thread move along in it's own way.

On the top of the boiler there is a thermostat with a temperate dial beside it there should be a black cap that screws off to the left and under it is a reset button press this and then try the boiler again

Robbie.G wrote: »
    On the top of the boiler there is a thermostat with a temperate dial beside it there should be a black cap that screws off to the left and under it is a reset button press this and then try the boiler again
    k, I will have a go at it tomorrow but I think I'm going to need to post pics so you can see what I'm working with. My boiler isn't housed but has an aluminium casing around it to protect it, I can only access through the front end which is where the valve to bleed and the infamous red button is, I'll take a look for the dial there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

I have a similar setup to what you describe. you should see a box something like this. unscrew the small black cap and there is a reset switch behind it, just press to reset and hopefully your back in action.
    00091D82.JPG

I'm doing my best to answer the questions you've asked, I really don't understand the rolleyes response you're giving me. If you can't offer advice without being condescending maybe you should step aside and let the thread move along in it's own way..

And that Madame is the reset button refered to in post #2, you may have little knowledge but reading the replies saves confusion to those attempting to HELP..
    quote]
    Try the reset button on the boiler stat ( usually under the black cap) Chances are you're circulating pump is seized, the heat couldn't go to the house and tripped the stat.

And that Madame is the reset button refered to in post #2, you may have little knowledge but reading the replies saves confusion to those attempting to HELP..

I already said I pressed this button?

I already said I pressed this button?

Post a pic in morn and see if we can sort you then

• Advertisement

Is not the button we are refering to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

? Rolly eyes.

In case you do not realise it. You have 3 top experenced professionals + me offering help by a very indrect way of text here !
    Its not the best by text, but there only trying to help,so don't knock it.

Its free of charge late on a Friday.

They all work on oil boilers for a living. This is free help!

scudo2 wrote: »
    ? Rolly eyes.

In case you do not realise it. You have 3 top experenced professionals + me offering help by a very indrect way of text here !
    Its not the best by text, but there only trying to help,so don't knock it.

Its free of charge late on a Friday.

They all work on oil boilers for a living. This is free help!
    if you can fix it I will love you all long time ok. I don't know where the hi stat button is but I promise I will look for it tomorrow. It's not like this thing came with an instruction manual. (ok maybe it did but it was for the plumbers eyes only)

Reset buttol no. 1 red button on burner.
    Reset button no. 2 under small black cover next to thermostat dial, screw off black cover or grey this is as small as the top of your finger. Press it.
    If boiler works its ok.
    If it shuts down after 3 minutes and no heat call service eng.
    Night night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I could do with a little love, but even without it I will still try to help. I attach 2 images. One of them is a boiler with the thermostat highlighted. This may not be like yours, but will be somewhat like it. The other image is of the thermostat with the black cover of the high limit trip switch highlighted. Unscrew this black cover (anti-clockwise) and behind it you will find a thin button. Push this button in (making sure that everything else is set the way that it would be for the heating to be on) and if that was the problem, then the burner should fire up.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

apologies for the delay

CQH12o5l.jpg?1

so I got out there and found the hi stat button, twiddled the knob off and found the switch, gave it a push and ..nothing.
    For good measure I pressed the red button again after that but didn't get anything out of it either. I had my daughter turn on the switch from inside so I could listen to it fire up but it is completely silent, sounds like I'm going to have to call an engineer out anyway.
    Appreciate all the help though.
    :)

• Advertisement

apologies for the delay

CQH12o5l.jpg?1

so I got out there and found the hi stat button, twiddled the knob off and found the switch, gave it a push and ..nothing.
    For good measure I pressed the red button again after that but didn't get anything out of it either. I had my daughter turn on the switch from inside so I could listen to it fire up but it is completely silent, sounds like I'm going to have to call an engineer out anyway.

Did you check the fuse in the plug on the left?

Did you check the fuse in the plug on the left?

brother did when he was here, he changed a fuse out (not sure which one) but didn't do anything, it does sound as though there is no ignition at all so I thought it might have been an electrical fault. The light on the switch in the house comes on when it's turned on alright but no charge out of the boiler at all.

apologies for the delay

CQH12o5l.jpg?1

And your sure you don't have a thermostat on the wall inside your house ? if you do, turn it up to max.

Also check trip switches on fuse board and fuse in switch next to time clock ( if there is one)

Pull out the plugs and plug in something weak like a table lamp. This will tell you if theres electricty going to the boiler or if you have fault with power supply instead of the boiler.
    If so try pluging boiler into an extension cable/lead.

ps. Mice love wires!

Next option.

Call service engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Rather than start a new thread. I was out of Kerosene since last march. Stuck €80 in via drums. It tries to fire up but cuts out. tried bleeding etc. Is my problem not enough kerosene:o

Don't want to waste time resetting red button if so (outdoor Heatpac with Rello burner). the level is just above the oil tank output pipe though so thought it should start.

scudo2 wrote: »
    And your sure you don't have a thermostat on the wall inside your house ? if you do, turn it up to max.

Also check trip switches on fuse board and fuse in switch next to time clock ( if there is one)

Call service engineer.

just a timer switch

3BLyfZEs.jpg?1

I just turned it on there again and I can hear it humming now which I didn't hear earlier, but still no ignition out of boiler. Maybe not electrical issue then.

Scudo, you said earlier that there might be a build up of condensation in the tank, would this be a big problem?

• Advertisement

The humming is probably the pump so that would indicate your boiler is getting power out to it, not wishing to sound condescending but are you sure you have pushed the hi stat ?? has the reset button on the boiler been illuminated with a red light ??

just a timer switch

3BLyfZEs.jpg?1

I just turned it on there again and I can hear it humming now which I didn't hear earlier, but still no ignition out of boiler. Maybe not electrical issue then.

I'm sorry but at this stage there's nothing anyone can do for you from here your going to need to call someone in.there are a few things that could be wrong oil pump jammed, capacitor gone they're the things that will stop the boiler starting once you can hear it humming

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread. I was out of Kerosene since last march. Stuck €80 in via drums. It tries to fire up but cuts out. tried bleeding etc. Is my problem not enough kerosene:o

Don't want to waste time resetting red button if so (outdoor Heatpac with Rello burner). the level is just above the oil tank output pipe though so thought it should start.

Very likely, €80 wont put much in a tank, how high above burner level is your tank ??

The humming is probably the pump so that would indicate your boiler is getting power out to it, not wishing to sound condescending but are you sure you have pushed the hi stat ?? has the reset button on the boiler been illuminated with a red light ??
    If the hi stat is the button underneath the black knob then yep, I pushed that one. The red light isn't illuminated.
    RobbieG wrote:
    I'm sorry but at this stage there's nothing anyone can do for you from here your going to need to call someone in.there are a few things that could be wrong oil pump jammed, capacitor gone they're the things that will stop the boiler starting once you can hear it humming
    I do realise that there's only so much I can do here, appreciated the help though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Very likely, €80 wont put much in a tank, how high above burner level is your tank ??

not much. I remember a plumber recommending we higher the tank.Nice and mild today. Coal fire tonite by the looks of things and I should be able to stick in another €150 next week. I'm not getting any kerosene when I bleed it.

Howjoe1 wrote: »

Problem is air in pipe.
    Open Allen keyplug on side of oil pump its the unit on the left of burner, let out air and a pint of oil into a clean container.
    If no Allen key plug then undo 15mm nut at the front of oil pump, its directly below hex angonal nut with a black screw in it.

WARNING DO NOT TOUCH SCREW.

You might have to run boiler for a few seconds to pump out air and oil.

Put oil back into

If the hi stat is the button underneath the black knob then yep, I pushed that one. The red light isn't illuminated.

I do realise that there's only so much I can do here, appreciated the help though.

If the red light has not been illuminated then that would indicate that your burner is not at fault, sorry but a service call is the next step.

Would love to know outcome. ;)

If the red light has not been illuminated then that would indicate that your burner is not at fault, sorry but a service call is the next step.

Would love to know outcome. ;)
    will let you know when I can afford to call one :)
    (probably be a week or so but I'll update when it's resolved)

will let you know when I can afford to call one :)
    (probably be a week or so but I'll update when it's resolved)

Perhaps your brother would be a little more DIY friendly (Not being condescending)and we could direct him further :cool:

Perhaps your brother would be a little more DIY friendly (Not being condescending)and we could direct him further :cool:
    He would be much better as he's familiar with tampering with the mothers over the years but usually only to bleed it or change a fuse, the small things methinks. She had issues with dirty oil last year which rendered her boiler useless and required a call out, seemingly it left a filter clogged which was replaced/cleaned so not something the brother would have been knowledgeable about. He suggested I could have a similar issue and recommended having it serviced by someone just to be sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement