Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid fuel stove

Options
  • 02-10-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi guys, I am in the process of buying a stove and am looking for peoples opinions on a good make and a good price , thanks for any help:D:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paddymaniac

Hi Danny, I installed a Henley non boiler, very happy with it, good value for money, 2 years ago I installed a Stanley Aisling for my mother, boiler version, very good water heater. I have to say, The control for the air flow broke, called a flexible drive, it's looks like a brake cord on a bike, 100 euro plus to replace! My uncle install a charnwood cove, more expensive than Stanley, same size though, no issues, 3 years ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭littlevillage

In the same boat guys, Looking to buy and install Stand-alone Solid fuel stove.

Am interested in a few things.

1). How powerful a stove do I need to heat a 30 Sqm room ? 6KW or more ?
    2). Does size matter? .. I guess if its very small you need to chop the timber up smaller and the "fire" inside is basically smaller.
    3). What exactly can these stoves burn. Coal, Turf, Wood ? does the wood have to be specially dried. What happens if its not dried .. does the little explosions from the sap burning cause the Stove to crack open ?
    4). Do brand names mean anything in the world of stoves? I notice already that the Stanley brand are very expensive.

Anything else to think about ?

In the same boat guys, Looking to buy and install Stand-alone non boiler Solid fuel stove.

2). Does size matter? .. I guess if its very small you need to chop the timber up smaller and the "fire" inside is basically smaller.
    3). What exactly can these stoves burn. Coal, Turf, Wood ? does the wood have to be specially dried. What happens if its not dried .. does the little explosions from the sap burning cause the Stove to crack open ?
    4). Do brand names mean anything in the world of stoves? I notice already that the Stanley brand are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paddymaniac

In the same boat guys, Looking to buy and install Stand-alone non boiler Solid fuel stove.

Hi, you will need a 12 to 15 kW room heater, that's a big area you have to heat, yes wood needs to be well seasoned, so as to avoid damage to your chimney and to get heat from the wood! Yes most stove are multi fuel, and can burn coal, just make sure whatever make you buy has good sides and heavy cast, charnward and many of European stoves are good quality, Stanley are only a name and made in China, still grand though... Just avoid putting in a real cheap stove, false economy, made from cheap material and can crack!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi, you will need a 12 to 15 kW room heater, that's a big area you have to heat, yes wood needs to be well seasoned, so as to avoid damage to your chimney and to get heat from the wood! Yes most stove are multi fuel, and can burn coal, just make sure whatever make you buy has good sides and heavy cast, charnward and many of European stoves are good quality, Stanley are only a name and made in China, still grand though... Just avoid putting in a real cheap stove, false economy, made from cheap material and can crack!

Is this right???:confused:

Firstly, surely you need to calculate in cubic metres, not squared?

Unless I'm doing the maths wrong (which is entirely possible, I'll be delighted if someone corrects me!!!) then 12-15kw is WAY too much....

My room is approx 7mx4mx3m (84 cubic metres?)- and the KW output I've been told I need is 5-6....

(apologies if I'm mixing up meters cubed, and cubic metres, but I THINK I've got it the right way around.....)

ETA - lots of websites have heat requirement calculators - here's one http://www.centralheatingshop.co.uk/room-heat-calculator-c-91.html or another one http://www.stovesandfires.com/stove_size_calculation.asp

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

another question....

I noticed some Stoves are fully brick lined inside, others have a kind of a floating thin metal plate between the fire and the outer casing and others still have nothing...

Which is best ?

If there is no lining does that mean the outer casing gets hot faster ..but presumably cools faster too.

Any issue about cracking the outer case if its not protected from the fire inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brianmacg

Hi folks, looking to buy a stove with a boiler for a three bedroom house with 9 rads.
    Any suggestions? Was looking at the Stanley Erin, any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

Surprised to learn on this Thread that "Stanley" stoves are made in China. I thought they were Irish made in Waterford by Waterford Ironfounders.

Anyone using Stanley Stoves:- How would you rate them for quality and efficiency?

Advertisement