Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Phone Boxes around the place?.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

petronius wrote: »
    Had an odd situation whereby my sim card wasnt working for dialing out! yet i could connect to the internet via wifi - had to call a land line
    was looking for a phone box - do you think i could find one No - was wondering if there is an online map for the locations of boxes, i know if you have a phone why would you need to locate a phone box but strangely it was the case

If the internet was working on your phone, then you could have used Skype Out or a similar VoIP app to call a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

petronius wrote: »
    Had an odd situation whereby my sim card wasnt working for dialing out! yet i could connect to the internet via wifi - had to call a land line
    was looking for a phone box - do you think i could find one No - was wondering if there is an online map for the locations of boxes, i know if you have a phone why would you need to locate a phone box but strangely it was the case

I'm a bit confused.

WiFi isn't anything to do with your SIM card.

Ericom are desperately trying to get rid of payphones as they cost a lot of money to maintain and they're making almost no revenue out of them in most cases.
    There's no online map, as there's nobody using them. I don't think it's a high priority for anyone to spend time and resources on.

They're removing any with average daily usage under 1 minute per day.
    (That's 37% of the remainder!)

Only 92 of them actually are 'economic' to operate! The rest make a significant lost and just cost us all money via our line rental bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Incomplete, but www.openstreetmap.org has some phone boxes marked, .e.g here: ther eis one marked south west of the junction: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/53.33260/-6.26492

I wonder how whole the accounting is in that calculation. Many phone boxes are carrying advertising and have Wi-Fi antennae for their own customers. The location marked above still has 4 kiosks - if they were making no money, that would have been reduced to one a long time ago. ComReg hasn't objected to reductions in the number of phones, but the number of locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're already completely gone in an increasing number of countries. Belgium for example has none anymore.

Advertisement