Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland generally a fat country, on average?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Take all the underdeveloped countries into account and you statistic is not too shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

bmi is a load of ****e, it doesnt mean **** all for individuals, no doubt someone will chime in later with the relevant source. it was never intended to be used on an individual personal basis only for large data average from the population

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's pretty fat. Not Samoa fat but slowly getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

It's pretty fat. Not Samoa fat but slowly getting there.

Samoa weight to pack on before then I guess. :D
    I'm sorry, that was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

BMI is it? And where are we flying to then? Nowhere I suppose, if we're too fat that the plane won't get off the ground.

• Advertisement

Fbjm wrote: »
    Samoa weight to pack on before then I guess. :D
    I'm sorry, that was bad.

Ive seen ALOT worse tbh ;) ALOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Snack boxes, spice burgers, puddin, tayto and Guinness.....

Are ye surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

SamHall wrote: »
    Snack boxes, spice burgers, puddin, tayto and Guinness.....

Are ye surprised?

No, I'm hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Maybe I have just been unlucky with sights but I spent all Saturday in Dublin city and 2 days in Galway last week, in the middle of all the hot weather and I can count on one hand the amount of heavy people I saw. For all the statistics on all the overweight and obese people in Ireland I saw nothing but slim fit and toned men and women out and about in shorts and bare torsos. Taking into account many overweight people probably avoid crowds, in two highly populated cities I saw very little evidence of them.

Also, most shops simply havent caught up to the obesity crisis in this country. Shops like Pennys, TK Maxx and Jack and Jones STILL cater for a client base of 34W 32L, when all the heavy people are surely 40W and heavier, but these options cannot be found, the country is still only catering for the 1990s Ireland and has a lot of work to do. So in short Ireland is apparently a heavy country but maybe most of these people are in hiding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Irelands not fat she's just big boned.

Have you seen the size of the hole on Great Britain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

What exactly is Bmi? I hear this test being done everywhere but never actually had one myself..

From previous posts I presume it's testing if your a fat f*ck?How would one take a bmi could scales not just tell i'm fat?

Irelands not fat she's just big boned.

Have you seen the size of the hole on Great Britain?

You might be biased though Chunky Lover.

Maybe I have just been unlucky with sights but I spent all Saturday in Dublin city and 2 days in Galway last week, in the middle of all the hot weather and I can count on one hand the amount of heavy people I saw. For all the statistics on all the overweight and obese people in Ireland I saw nothing but slim fit and toned men and women out and about in shorts and bare torsos. Taking into account many overweight people probably avoid crowds, in two highly populated cities I saw very little evidence of them.

Also, most shops simply havent caught up to the obesity crisis in this country. Shops like Pennys, TK Maxx and Jack and Jones STILL cater for a client base of 34W 32L, when all the heavy people are surely 40W and heavier, but these options cannot be found, the country is still only catering for the 1990s Ireland and has a lot of work to do. So in short Ireland is apparently a heavy country but maybe most of these people are in hiding!

well duh, in pubs, their houses, couches you get the idea

carzony wrote: »
    What exactly is Bmi? I hear this test being done everywhere but never actually had one myself..

From previous posts I presume it's testing if your a fat f*ck?How would one take a bmi could scales not just tell i'm fat?

its next to useless for lots of reasons a couple I stated earlier. hopefully someone will be along later with more detailed info

you should be more concerned with your body fat percentage this is the real measure of obesity, if you are 25% or more and male [32% for women] you are obese. to give you a starting point. the average is about 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

From the BBC:
    BMI stands for body-mass index. It’s a calculation based on a person’s height and weight and is used by doctors to assess whether someone is “obese” or “overweight”. It ranges from around 15 (near starvation) to over 40 (morbidly obese). A BMI greater than 25 is considered overweight. A measure over 30 would be obese. The index is not a perfect measure, however. It is possible for a healthy, muscular athlete with very low body fat to be classified obese using the BMI formula.

Feathers wrote: »
    From the BBC:

just checked mine it says i'm 22.. A lower bmi than 70% of males in Ireland and a lower bmi than 52% males aged 15-29 in the world...

Feathers wrote: »
    From the BBC:

thats junk data, they are half right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

For mine to be in the 'healthy range' I'd have to be between 9 and 11 stone? lol, piss off.

I would despise being that skinny.

What weight should your average 21 year old be anyway ?

What weight should your average 21 year old be anyway ?

depends on height

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    depends on height

i forgot google is my friend lol

well i'm just over 6 foot and had a look through google and it says I should be 14 stone :eek::eek: **** me i'm 12 stone now and have a bit of a belly on me..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

just checked mine it says i'm 22.. A lower bmi than 70% of males in Ireland and a lower bmi than 52% males aged 15-29 in the world...

Did you take your shoes off or leave them on

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

BMI is not a very good scale to go by in my opinion but according to the test my BMI is lower than 94% of males in my age bracket in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Having been to the USA, England, and Germany, **** no, we are not a fat country. Not the slimmest, but not even anywhere close to the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I don't think that's a fair assessment tbh. I buy my black pants in Penneys (34W 30L, I'm a bit of a shortàrse - 5'10") and I have terrible trouble getting pants in my size as they're usually all sold out and all they have left are 32, 38, 40 pants left on a Saturday if I don't get in on Tuesday when they get in new stock.

I just tried the BMI calculator here and at 5'10", 14 stone, my BMI comes up as 28.1 which it says is "overweight".

Even at 17 stone this time last year you wouldn't have thought I was overweight and I STILL couldn't get a 36W pants in Penneys on a Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I don't think that's a fair assessment tbh. I buy my black pants in Penneys (34W 30L, I'm a bit of a shortàrse - 5'10") and I have terrible trouble getting pants in my size as they're usually all sold out and all they have left are 32, 38, 40 pants left on a Saturday if I don't get in on Tuesday when they get in new stock.

I just tried the BMI calculator here and at 5'10", 14 stone, my BMI comes up as 28.1 which it says is "overweight".

Even at 17 stone this time last year you wouldn't have thought I was overweight and I STILL couldn't get a 36W pants in Penneys on a Saturday!

My measurements are the inverse of yours and I have the same issue. You can't get 30W 34L anywhere, it's always either the wrong waist or the wrong length. It's like their target market is a barely fluctuating but popular demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

What exactly is Bmi?

Its the average amount of people a priest can draw to a mass in a given time period. Anything above 30 is big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

According to that, my BMI is 26, thus I am overweight. But an online body fat calculator gives me 27% body fat, which isn't overweight for a woman.

Well I'm confused.

EDIT: I'm most like someone from Chile :o

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

You have a higher BMI than 98% of females aged 15-29 in your country

You have a higher BMI than 95% of females aged 15-29 in the world

:eek:

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how an online body fat calculator would work. What do you do, put in what you weigh?

Advertisement