Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Well Thats The End Of Volvo So

Options
  • 31-10-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109102822717/ford-confirms-geely-as-its-preferred-bidder-for-volvo-cars

922597814.jpg

Been to the Paris motor show every year since 2000 and all I can say is that the chinese stuff just takes the biscuit for being rubbish, even worse than the Lada stuff. Motorshow cars are usualy fetteled so as to be perfect but nobody told the chinese. Paint was peeling of dashboards, buttons didnt work, fit and finish of interior and exterior panels was just 1987 FSO bad and none of the stuff seemed to be designed properly. For example therer was a 7 seater of sorts on display but come hell or high water we couldnt get the 2 rear most seats to fold away :confused:. The best for me was finding neutral in a landwind jeep. You could sway the gear lever side to side by about a foot and a half and could push it well into the passenger seat cushion. Junk :D In 2008 everything was locked , says it all really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Good riddance I say, they haven't made a decent car since the 760.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

junkyard wrote: »
    Good riddance I say, they haven't made a decent car since the 760.

I liked the 850 T5 and the last of the 960's were super dont you think? 460 was a low point I must admit.

I never liked the styling of the 960 tbh, and all the FWD ones were Renaults and I hate Renaults........

I and all the FWD ones were Renaults and I hate Renaults........

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Geely aren't going to start sticking their crap into Volvos. They'll still employ Volvo/Ford people to keep things going. Nothing obvious will change, so the panic over Volvo being bought up doesn't make sense. What happened to Jaguar after Tata bought it/. Nothing, that's what. The quality didn't decline, in fact it's improving after Tata allowed Jaguar to operate almost independantly (unlike Ford's restrictions on them). There is no way they could sell the next S80 with a 2 star NCAP rating. They're not stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Confab wrote: »
    Geely aren't going to start sticking their crap into Volvos. They'll still employ Volvo/Ford people to keep things going. Nothing obvious will change, so the panic over Volvo being bought up doesn't make sense. What happened to Jaguar after Tata bought it/. Nothing, that's what. The quality didn't decline, in fact it's improving after Tata allowed Jaguar to operate almost independantly (unlike Ford's restrictions on them). There is no way they could sell the next S80 with a 2 star NCAP rating. They're not stupid.

Yeah it's all a bit pesimistic in here!

China are the economic powerhouse of the 21st Century or so we're told and it's early days. Tata aren't exactly running Jag into the ground and have ambitions far beyond what Ford ever had (a Boxster rival for example). Again, it's early days but it's a bit early to be writing them off...

pburns wrote: »
    Yeah it's all a bit pesimistic in here!

China are the economic powerhouse of the 21st Century or so we're told and it's early days. Tata aren't exactly running Jag into the ground and have ambitions far beyond what Ford ever had (a Boxster rival for example). Again, it's early days but it's a bit early to be writing them off...

Yeah I know and you could say that the japs coppied everything that Europe and the States did and look at them now. Only thing is when the japs did their copies atleast they had the good sence to engineer it well and build it properly. This Chinese stuff that I've seen so far is just junk. And in fairness China has a reputation for making cheap goods not quality goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Been to the Paris motor show every year since 2000

Might not be that bad working for Renault...

EPM wrote: »
    Might not be that bad working for Renault...

You've got to be kidding me. All paid for by myself. They wouldnt even give my mate ( another ex renault employee ) discount in the Renault store. :p Each year as we get older the length of time we spend at the motor show gets shorter and the social time gets longer. Great excuse though :D:D

I know i'll never buy another Jaguar now anyway. The new one is an awful looking thing, looks like a Daewoo/Kia/Lexus thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Volvo haven't made a decent car in years. Only Ford would come up with some snake oil remedy and buy them out. Alas, as with all snake oil remedies, the truth outs eventually...

You've got to be kidding me. All paid for by myself. They wouldnt even give my mate ( another ex renault employee ) discount in the Renault store. :p Each year as we get older the length of time we spend at the motor show gets shorter and the social time gets longer. Great excuse though :D:D

Do you work for Renault Saab Ed? You must have been an awful b@stard in your last life!!:D I can just see it now, Renault intermittent electrical fault finding department, absolute hell...... knowing my luck that's where i'll end up in my next life!!:pac:

I can just see it now, Renault intermittent electrical fault finding department,

Intermittent!!!!!! Try permanent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Intermittent!!!!!! Try permanent :D

Try standard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You've all got it wrong. It's Renault intermittent fault creating department.

Advertisement