Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The year is 1990....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody mentioned the Peugeot 605 2.1 Diesel Turbo:

peugeot-605-3-0-12-v-2.jpg

Probably one of the best looking barges at the time. Used the same platform as the XM and 164. My old man's boss at the time had one of these. They had a poor image though as they were jsut seen as a big 405.

The popular weapon of choice though was the Ford Granada 2.0i Ghia or if you were the sales team manager you had the 2.9i Scorpio version.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely that model Audi 100 wasnt out in 1990. I think it was late 91 when it came out. Maybe not.
    Anyway, that would be my choice. We used to have one of those, fabulous car at that time. Interior styling & equipment would still pass today tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the 100 became the A6 with a few very small detail changes, I drive a 1996 model and its still tight as a drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I was looking at the Audi, thinking I used to love driving one, but then realised that it was the 1.8 rather than the 2.0.

So I went with the Rover (used to love the Vitesse version, especially the later 2.0 Turbo version). We had a Rover of that vintage a few years after that, and we never had much bother with it.

I never really liked the Citroen, we had a Renault 18 GLS that the electrics kept going bonkers on. I might have gone SAAB if it had been the turbo. My OHs cousin has an Omega in Poland with starship mileage (2.5TD), and it's a great car.

Would have gone for the Granada if it had been an option (a friends father had a GHIA version which was beautiful at the time). The I had a Peugeot 405, which would have been enough to put me off the 605 (I had the 1.9GLD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The old man had a citroen XM, it was either 3.0 or 3.5 litre V6, and a BEAST.

Deffo take the XM, even if its only the 2L version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Has to be the Omega.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Omegagagagaga! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Mustn't have been a very good company if these were your choice of car.:pac: I'd go for a BMW 735 if I was buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Omega. There's no other choice among that shifty lot. Well, maybe the Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a company car so I would never have to pay any bill? It'll have to be the XM so :D

If the 164 had been on the list too, I might have been tempted. Wait, with only a 2l engine that's a bit pointless for a large Alfa. It needs the 3lV6. So I'd still pick the XM :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

The only way you'd be driving that Audi 100 in 1990 is if you had a time machine :D
    A close one for me between this and the Omega, but I went for the 100

This is what you'd have
    Audi 100 C3 (1982–1991)

007audi100.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ooh, the Saab, I'll fit right in with all my customers (most of them still drive 9-5s!).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great thread. Really illustrates the so-called "flight to premium" over the past 20 years or less; It's all Beemers, Audi, Merc and even Volvo now. They were exotic back then, now they are on every street corner.
    Opel have long since dropped the Omega, only had that horrible Signum thingy :confused:. I think that was a sad end for a fine and well respected car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    Probably one of the best looking barges at the time. Used the same platform as the XM and 164.

They looked a lot like the 164 and were designed by the same design house, but that's where the similarity ends. The Peugeot 605 had absolutely nothing to do with the 164.
    junkyard wrote: »
    Mustn't have been a very good company if these were your choice of car.:pac: I'd go for a BMW 735 if I was buying.

I'm pretty sure that would've cost double what these cars retail at. These are base model executive cars and not at all in the same class as the 7 Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Omega, always had a thing for them. They were flash back then in my books.

Saw an 87 WW 1 Omega parked up in Wicklow snot so long ago, covered in Moss...but still a handsome car...

Just on the Volvo...remember the 740 Turbo intercooler...sounded mental to a 15yo boy back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mfitzy wrote: »
    Great thread. Really illustrates the so-called "flight to premium" over the past 20 years or less; It's all Beemers, Audi, Merc and even Volvo now. They were exotic back then, now they are on every street corner.
    Opel have long since dropped the Omega, only had that horrible Signum thingy :confused:. I think that was a sad end for a fine and well respected car.

To be fair Ireland was as poor as a church mouse back then, the only people who had decent cars were big farmers, politicans and the upper echelon of buisnessmen. I remember heading into Rosslare on the N25 in the early 90s one day as the ferry traffic came against me it was all UK reg shiney BMWs, Volvos etc while the local plates were tatty Kadettes and Corollas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

True enough Mike. I remember when I was a chap in the late 1980s we had an 85 Kadett-will never forget it- XIC 643! We used go allover the country in it, and not a seatbelt in the back between us :D. Crazy when you think of it now.

Today we would have had a Zafira or such like with seats and seatbelts, airbags allover the shop. Cars moved in so much in the last 15-20 years , especially in Ireland. I remember when electric windows were a major luxury item. Now even the most basic Panda will have 'em. Were probably just about standard on the cars in this thread at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Very true the last two posters...if the 'heres what i saw today' thread existed back then...we'd have very few pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

opel for me,had the 87 vauxhall one 2.9i,loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

My father had the a 91 (I think) omega 2.0 diamond in maroon as a company car he hated the thing lol he had a Galant before 2.0 before it.

My oldest brother loved driving it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Went for the Audi simply because its German, no other reason really!

I thin its worth noting here just how much power these car actually had:

Citroen XM: 2.0 petrol - 112bhp
    Opel Omega 2.0 - 99bhp
    Audi 100 - 89bhp
    Renault 25 2.0 - 101bhp(carburettor:eek:)
    Saab 9000 2.0 - 130bhp
    Rover 820 - 136bhp

How does that affect the choice?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I remember being in a (then) new Omega when I was about 6 or 7 - it seemed so awesome, and it even had a carphone! :eek:
    Personally I'd take the XM - the end of an era for crazy Citroens

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If someone else is paying for the repairs I'm in the R25. No way i would touch it otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I voted for the 25. Have a granduncle that had one in the early 90s it was class.

You have all forgotten the V6 Camry VIP however. Surely that would have taken a sizeable chunk of this business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

cruiser178 wrote: »
    opel for me,had the 87 vauxhall one 2.9i,loved it.

In the early 80's I was in love with a 3 litre Monza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Greenman wrote: »
    In the early 80's I was in love with a 3 litre Monza.

Sorry tiny bit off topic but this is on sale in IRL with a UK plate http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/61906

Here is the same car again http://www.flickr.com/photos/55777341@N00/3428286735/sizes/l/

Thought it strange.

OP would the boss have a Monza? not sure when they were discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd go for the XM , only because I'm looking at one at the minute.

If I hadnt owned 2 Safranes I'd probably pick the 25 but knowing whats on the horizon I'd hold on to whatever car I already had for a couple of years and put my order in for a Biturbo...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Greenman wrote: »

Pentagram alloys!!!

Brings me right back to 1990 when I was 16, someone's parents would be away, 5 of us there with two bottles of peach schnapps and a ouija board!!! :D

Ah the memories...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fricatus wrote: »
    Pentagram alloys!!!

Brings me right back to 1990 when I was 16, someone's parents would be away, 5 of us there with two bottles of peach schnapps and a ouija board!!! :D

Ah the memories...
    in the days when alloys were a rare extra to have on a car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Wheres the F-O-R-D seirra cos option....

Advertisement