Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

:( sad and happy tbh I like Coarse as much as Fly Fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I still haven't as much as cast a fly yet this season.
    First time in years I haven't been out, once we get over this current bad spell of weather I'll give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Tinytony wrote: »
    I still haven't as much as cast a fly yet this season.
    First time in years I haven't been out, once we get over this current bad spell of weather I'll give it a lash.
    Agreed, can't wait for good weather :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had a few hours on Lough Aishling this morning. I knew it'd be tough so i tied up a load of buzzers and had a couple of minkies and boobies in the box too. Arrived over to the lake and it was blue skies, 20 something degrees and flat calm like a mirror with fish rising everywhere. Took out the rod, put on the reel and leader and.....no fúcking fly box, left the bastard on the bench at home beside the vice after all my tying.

I was absolutely sick with myself. Nearly turned the car to go home again but fair play to Joe, he pulled out a box of flies that someone had left behind ages ago and told me go on out and use them. He had a small selection for sale too so I got a few off him and away I went. He's a gent of the highest order.
    Anyway, I got 2 fish and rose about a half a dozen. And when I got home I put the bloody box in the bag!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Had a few hours on Lough Aishling this morning. I knew it'd be tough so i tied up a load of buzzers and had a couple of minkies and boobies in the box too. Arrived over to the lake and it was blue skies, 20 something degrees and flat calm like a mirror with fish rising everywhere. Took out the rod, put on the reel and leader and.....no fúcking fly box, left the bastard on the bench at home beside the vice after all my tying.

I was absolutely sick with myself. Nearly turned the car to go home again but fair play to Joe, he pulled out a box of flies that someone had left behind ages ago and told me go on out and use them. He had a small selection for sale too so I got a few off him and away I went. He's a gent of the highest order.
    Anyway, I got 2 fish and rose about a half a dozen. And when I got home I put the bloody box in the bag!!!

:D:D did the same a few weeks ago, set up the rod, and went for the fly box.... except there was no fly box! sat in a boat on lough ree and no flies!!:rolleyes:.. luckily i had the dapping rod, and the mayflies were out!!!

i rem 2 yrs ago being up the lake trolling in early season, had got some steaks for dinner, was lookin forward to them all morning and when landed on island for lunch... you guessed it,:rolleyes: forgot the pan!!!!

stroke of luck the plates were metal, so fried the steaks on a plate :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Off to Inchigeelagh http://www.corktourist.com/towns/inchigeelagh/ to grab some Pike. 24 hr session, hoping to get 3 or 4...

takin the 2 kids up lough ree 2moro,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Taking the girlfriend stockie bashing tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

ch750536 wrote: »
    Off to Inchigeelagh http://www.corktourist.com/towns/inchigeelagh/ to grab some Pike. 24 hr session, hoping to get 3 or 4...
    How did you get on ? I was up there last Tuesday and only managed 2 jacks at the end of the day.I was talking to Greg from the Tir na Spideoga lodge and he was saying it wasn't fishing great due to the waters still be quite cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Went in to the local tackle shop yesterday for a browse around and ended up buying a float-tube that that was on special offer (The box was wrecked and there was not instructions). Hoping to try it out this weekend. Incidentally, what do float-tube owners use for pumping it? I got a small 12v electric pump from argos but it's a bit **** - I'm think I'm going to go and get a hand or foot-pump.

• Advertisement

no fishing today:mad:.. rained till well into the afternoon! just couldnt be bothered when its like that any more, must be getting old:D:rolleyes:. 2 weeks without fishing now! need a fix soon:)... 3 days on mask next week should sort that!!.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Went out on the fly this evening for the first time in I don't know how long.
    Fished the Boyne with wets first then on to the dries right up to dark.
    Had a few on the wets all small then had 2 on a klinkhammer and two on a olive CDC emerger. Last fish was about 1/2 a pound so I was happy.

Went out on the fly this evening for the first time in I don't know how long.
    Fished the Boyne with wets first then on to the dries right up to dark.
    Had a few on the wets all small then had 2 on a klinkhammer and two on a olive CDC emerger. Last fish was about 1/2 a pound so I was happy.

I hadn't so much as a pluck for 4 hours on the Boyne earlier on my usual river dries and nymphs so I started experimenting with random stuff and got a pike on an Alexandra!! I was just getting really p!ssed off too, lost a few flies on high banks on the backcast and it lashed rain for a good while so it was great to actually catch something

damagegt wrote: »
    How did you get on ? I was up there last Tuesday and only managed 2 jacks at the end of the day.I was talking to Greg from the Tir na Spideoga lodge and he was saying it wasn't fishing great due to the waters still be quite cold.

Sat night had a great time with the baitfish. We had deadbait out on 4 rods most of the night, mixed depths etc on the south road, about 600m clockwise from the holiday home. No pike.

Sunday we hired a boat and hit 7 different spots, all shallow (warmer water) I drew a blank (was on a lure only as the boat was a bit busy) one guy caught a 5lb. Other than that the usual level of meetings.

We found plenty of evidence of pike being killed again though. Fisheries guys were there at 8pm on a bank holiday weekend, fair play to them.

I hadn't so much as a pluck for 4 hours on the Boyne earlier on my usual river dries and nymphs so I started experimenting with random stuff and got a pike on an Alexandra!! I was just getting really p!ssed off too, lost a few flies on high banks on the backcast and it lashed rain for a good while so it was great to actually catch something

I missed a few plucks from the tiddlers alright, it was frustrating on the dry cause I was casting to rising fish and not getting much, a downstream wind made presentation difficult. Where do you mainly fish? Maybe we could meet up and chuck a line one of the evenings? Compare tactics:D

I fish mainly around the Longwood area(where i live)- near the Boyne Aquaduct, Scariff, Inchamore and Castlerickard. Where do you go yourself? I'd defo be on for a meet up some time, mind you I don't think you'll learn much from me except my patented Overhead tangle-cast:D

I fish mainly around the Longwood area(where i live)- near the Boyne Aquaduct, Scariff, Inchamore and Castlerickard. Where do you go yourself? I'd defo be on for a meet up some time, mind you I don't think you'll learn much from me except my patented Overhead tangle-cast:D

Mostly between Navan and Trim and on the Blackwater as far as Kells.
    Only getting back into it now after a few years absence from fly fishing after all my gear was stolen from my van:(
    Hitting EBay hard to get the fly stock back up:D
    We can introduce eachother to our local beats and compare our overhead tangle casts:D

ch750536 wrote: »
    Sat night had a great time with the baitfish. We had deadbait out on 4 rods most of the night, mixed depths etc on the south road, about 600m clockwise from the holiday home. No pike.

Sunday we hired a boat and hit 7 different spots, all shallow (warmer water) I drew a blank (was on a lure only as the boat was a bit busy) one guy caught a 5lb. Other than that the usual level of meetings.

We found plenty of evidence of pike being killed again though. Fisheries guys were there at 8pm on a bank holiday weekend, fair play to them.
    WHAT! Are people killing the pike up there ? I just found this place in the last few months and have become addicted to pike fishing.I couldn't think of anything worse then killing one of them.There wasnt a hell of alot going on when we were up there either,I was happy to get the two jacks.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Taking the girlfriend stockie bashing tomorrow :D

Let us never speak of that fishing trip again. safe to say she dont like fishing :eek:

WHAT! Are people killing the pike up there ? I just found this place in the last few months and have become addicted to pike fishing.I couldn't think of anything worse then killing one of them.There wasnt a hell of alot going on when we were up there either,I was happy to get the two jacks.

Was talking to the fisheries guys, he told us of a Lithuanian he caught trying to go home with 125 bream, said his name was 'Jonnie'. Also he caught 2 poles with 3 dead pike on the bank. Always be nosey and give them a call if you see anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

At least you tried seafields, shame it would have saved you a fortune on chocolate on your way home after running a few hours late fishing. Bought herself a fly rod there recently she loves fishing.
    :D
    how did you get on apart from that?
    where were you fishing?
    been doing a lot of stockie bashing lately myself
    Let us never speak of that fishing trip again. safe to say she dont like fishing :eek:

TimMac wrote: »
    how did you get on apart from that?
    where were you fishing?
    been doing a lot of stockie bashing lately myself

I got herself confident of using the bait rod and then i set up the fly rod for an hour. I rose a few fish but no solid takes. Was talking to a old man that fishes there a few times a week (we'd know each other to see) and he said the place was hammered all weekend with the nice weather and that the trout were down as a result. Would have loved to stay for the evening but herself has other ideas!

Fishing has been one disaster after another for me lately. The weather is just fcuking dire! Whatever about the constant rain, that strong wind that we seem to have for the last few weeks, at least down this end of the country, is making fly fishing very frustrating.

I got herself confident of using the bait rod and then i set up the fly rod for an hour. I rose a few fish but no solid takes. Was talking to a old man that fishes there a few times a week (we'd know each other to see) and he said the place was hammered all weekend with the nice weather and that the trout were down as a result. Would have loved to stay for the evening but herself has other ideas!

Fishing has been one disaster after another for me lately. The weather is just fcuking dire! Whatever about the constant rain, that strong wind that we seem to have for the last few weeks, at least down this end of the country, is making fly fishing very frustrating.
    oh that wind isa serious pain alright:mad:, been the same here in the midlands, the dapp was tough going!!! its eased a bit in the last few days thank god(i thought i would never stop!)... heading to the west on friday hope it doesnt turn nasty again!!

bayliner wrote: »
    oh that wind isa serious pain alright:mad:, been the same here in the midlands, the dapp was tough going!!! its eased a bit in the last few days thank god(i thought i would never stop!)... heading to the west on friday hope it doesnt turn nasty again!!

Looking at MT Craniums forecast over in the weather forum this week could be a wash out. Im in kerry for the evening and its pissing here with gusty wind...again :(

was out this evening came across five salmon holding in about four foot of water threw everything at them spinners, worm, fly, even a concrete block!!! :D
    one snap at a black & silver flying C & that was it.
    No good still though nice to see them, bring on the rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

was out today up by the martello tower in howth hunting pollack and doggies, nothing for hours the place was full of weed. Decided to make my way up to balscaddin and wet a line there, fished just under where the bird collony is and managed to pull in a 2lbs pollack, thought it was weed because it put up no fight until I seen it on the surface then it powered away, great little fight. Certainly going to go back there for a longer day trip :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

How was it there shane? Heard its been full of all sorts of characters wetting a line. Never been down there always just fished off the pier, could never really find balscadden to be honest!:rolleyes:

was out today up by the martello tower in howth hunting pollack and doggies, nothing for hours the place was full of weed. Decided to make my way up to balscaddin and wet a line there, fished just under where the bird collony is and managed to pull in a 2lbs pollack, thought it was weed because it put up no fight until I seen it on the surface then it powered away, great little fight. Certainly going to go back there for a longer day trip :)
    That's impressive.Have you any pictures of it ?

lol never mind I thought it said 21lb and I was about to start shouting liar liar pants of fire.My apologies .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

thehamo wrote: »
    How was it there shane? Heard its been full of all sorts of characters wetting a line. Never been down there always just fished off the pier, could never really find balscadden to be honest!:rolleyes:
    was a lovely place and very peacefull where I was, bird collony right beside me, great views, thought it was great plus I was into a fish after half an hour but then it went dead.
    And to damagegt I trhought it was kinda strange that you thought a 2 lb pollack was impressive ha

mask weekend;4 trout on friday, none saturday or sunday..

Sea Trout falls for mackerel - hook, line and sinker

An article from todays examiner. Ive seen it in the times too. Worth a look if you see it to see the photo. Fantastic looking fish.

well finally landed my 1st salmon of 2011 a 10lb cock on a black & silver 20 gram salar flying C. I saw him come into the pool sunday morning put up a good fight for five minutes, will post pictures in a while.

TimMac wrote: »
    well finally landed my 1st salmon of 2011 a 10lb cock on a black & silver 20 gram salar flying C. I saw him come into the pool sunday morning put up a good fight for five minutes, will post pictures in a while.
    cool!! nice fish!:).... never caught a salmon:rolleyes:,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Was out at 5 30 this morning not even a bite!

• Advertisement

fri 17th on ree, trout fishing, no trout! one perch one pike....
    sun 19th pike fishing on ree... hopefully get a few

3 pike! all came to the daughters rod! 3lb, 4lb 7oz and 11lb 6oz....colorado spoon was the lure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

hey, first time posting in this forum i think.

used to wet a ine with my brother in law quite often till a few years ago, due to bringing up kids.

we used to fish mostly along the canal out by the 12th lock for roach, rudd etc but heard it was dredged and ruined a eyar or two ago?

used to do a bit of salt water too, mostly just spinning and feathers for mackeral in warmer months.

looks like were gonna get out for a few hours this weekend to wet a line, just wondering wheres decent for a bit of coarse fishing in dublin at the moment.

keep it to pms if need be, cheers lads.

rob

Just back from an early moring bass trip and it couldnt have gone better.I caught 4,landed 3 and kept 2 :).ill throw up some pictures later.

what did you get them on damaget?

• Advertisement

In total over the last month or so iv got 6 bass and 2 pike on the same lure.Can I pm you a picture of it ?Its only a cheap 3euro 4" red and silver rapala knockoff.It fishes about 2-3 ft under the water.

In total over the last month or so iv got 6 bass and 2 pike on the same lure.Can I pm you a picture of it ?Its only a cheap 3euro 4" red and silver rapala knockoff.It fishes about 2-3 ft under the water.

Yes would love to have a look of it if you wouldn't mind? Well done. That's some great fishing.

Its my first year trying for bass.The spot iv found iv never seen so many in the same spot.Ill send the photo on to you there in a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

so I went out to Malahide this morning to try for my first bass. Half nine just before full tide. Fished for about half an hour before I was inundated by about ten younfellas asking me if they can cast out etc etc. Anyways after about ten minutes of beating them off "with no go away's" Got back to it peacefully. No sooner had I cast out my plug did the arm on my reel break off (result of a rusty screw). Then to seal it all off as soon as I pulled my line in by hand, a bass hopped out of the water right in front of me, no doubt to purely rub my face in it!:rolleyes:

Now thats what I call Fishing!!!
    ;)

Went out for a few pollock this evening and had great success.Along with two great pollock I got a sea trout.It wasnt any size around half a pound.What I was wondering what is the legalities of catching and keeping seatrout caught from the sea ?Ill throw a picture up.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Went out for a few pollock this evening and had great success.Along with two great pollock I got a sea trout.It wasnt any size around half a pound.What I was wondering what is the legalities of catching and keeping seatrout caught from the sea ?Ill throw a picture up.

You need the state Salmon/Sea-Trout licence to fish for them even if it is in the sea.

aidanf wrote: »
    You need the state Salmon/Sea-Trout licence to fish for them even if it is in the sea.
    Thats fine.I have all my permits.So Its exact same as the river then ?He was only a twidler so he went back to fight another day but it was such a surprise to catch one from where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Fished Boyne today, had ten fish, biggest 4lb, unreal fishing. really enjoyed it. any fly was working, black did most damage. all bar one returned to fight another day.

283916_1675443904835_1799585862_1088133_1101527_n.jpg

ps think this lad could be a sea trout

Jesus, thats a lovely fish there. Dont know if its a sea trout, a lot of the fish I've caught in the boyne are very silver like that lad (Or maybe I've caught a lot of sea trout :) ). You must be fishing a good bit downstream from me, its almost unfishable now where I usually go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement