Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivan the Terrible - John Demjanjuk Extradited to Germany

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

He was just a guard for gods sake !

I think if there was any evidence he shot anyone we would have heard about it by now. Far as I know he was acquitted in israel of being ivan the terrible so he is just 'Ivan the ukranian former russian soldier turned german guard for a spell' and not 'Ivan the terrible'.

As a 90 year old facing 29,000 counts of accessory to murder is ridiculous. There is obviously not much chance of him surviving the stresses of the trial and the new round of publicity & media demonising he is going to be facing. Not to mention being deported from the country he lived in since the 1950's- entire family being left behind and so on.

The political gain from this is pretty clear, ie yet more jewish victimhood on the news, more bumping the holocaust news items to the top again. This is PR mileage at the expense of a 90yr old grandfather who is being used as a political football. The wiesentahl centre really are getting more and more desperate in my view if this is their 'most wanted man'. No wonder they have turned their attention to the art world ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055332353 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

What I would be concerned about here is the actual evidence being presented. Sobibor was a highly secret installation and afaik there are only 3 surviving former prisoners of the camp, including a man named Thomas Blatt. After the breakout in October 1943, Himmler ordered the site destroyed, the camp dismantled and planted over with fast growing trees. Presumably the destruction of the camp would have included all camp records.

As I already mentioned, I remember the emotional scenes from the courtroom, during the first trial, between 1986-88, when former Treblinka camp inmates swore on oath that John Demjanjuk was Ivan the Terrible, the man accused of operating the Treblinka Gas Chamber. Surprisingly, the Israeli Court disagreed, and released John Demjanjuk on the grounds of an unsafe conviction.

from the first link in OP
    "For the first time we have even found lists of names of the people who Demjanjuk personally led into the gas chambers"
    German prosecutor Kurt Schrimm

What does this prove exactly? Presumably these people he led to the Gas Chamber are dead, and cannot testify. If anything, it only lists the people who were gassed, and that's all.

The case also raises a few other issues. Demjanjuk was Ukranian, and a volunteer in the Waffen SS by all accounts. His alternative would have been to live as a Ukranian civillian, and a reluctance, or refusal to volunteer may well have led to his destitution or assignment as a slave labourer. On joining the Waffen SS, I doubt he would have had any choice about where he was posted. If he had refused, he'd no doubt have been shot, or gassed himself. So where does that place the Sonderkommando in their dilemma ? They were responsible for helping prisoners undress for the Gas Chamber, and recieved extra food alcohol and cigarettes for doing this work. A graphic depiction of their role can be seen in the movie "The Grey Zone", but the question is, technically, were they also complicit in these crimes??

Finally, who is trying Demjanjuk? and under what law? UN law? because very recently the UN asserted that the Israeli Defence Force committed war crimes, during their Christmas escapade in Gaza. Are the IDF commanders who issued the order, to use White Phosphorous on Civillians in Gaza, going to face a War Crimes trial in the Hague for what they did on television, in front of the whole world?? Let's be honest, the evidence is infinitely more compelling than a list of people led to a gas chamber 66 years ago, who are long dead.

Is this trial going to be about Justice ? or another helping of double standards? and Germany bending over backwards trying to reconcile its past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

One story I read about was around the time Himmler visited Treblinka and found it in complete chaos, with piles of dead bodies lying everywhere. It said there were thousands of people, just fresh off one of the transports, herded into the yard and that Ukranian ss men were on the roofs of the buildings, firing indiscriminately into the crowd.
    I'm not sure when this guy was meant to be there but if he was there there is a good chance he was involved in some pretty heavy ****, if he was a guard there, I'd say he probably deserves to die.

FYI

There is a thread here discussing the legitimacy of his ID card

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355615

This is from Pat Buchannan an American conservative (former Republican supremo) who made a few valid points in my view. I would recommend reading it for anyone who does not remember the original trial ;

http://buchanan.org/blog/pjb-the-true-haters-1495

PJB: The True Haters

by Patrick J. Buchanan

On Good Friday, John Demjanjuk, 89 and gravely ill, was ordered deported to Germany to stand trial as an accessory to the murder of 29,000 Jews — at Sobibor camp in Poland.

Sound familiar? It should. It is a re-enactment of the 1986 extradition of John Demjanjuk to Israel to be tried for the murder of 870,000 Jews — at Treblinka camp in Poland.

How many men in the history of this country have been so relentlessly pursued and remorselessly persecuted?

The ordeal of this American Dreyfus began 30 years ago.

In 1979, the Office of Special Investigations (OSI) at Justice, goaded and guided by Yuri Andropov’s KGB, was persuaded that Demjanjuk was “Ivan the Terrible,” a huge, brutal, sadistic guard at Treblinka, who bashed in babies’ heads and slashed off women’s breasts, as he drove hundreds of thousands of Jews into the gas chambers.

Demjanjuk’s defense was simple: I was never at Treblinka.

Yet, a dozen survivors, shown a photo spread, identified him as the beast of Treblinka. In 1986, OSI had him extradited to Israel. In 1988, he was convicted and sentenced to death. The greatest Holocaust monster since Mengele was to be hanged.

His family, friends and lawyers did not give up. They scoured Europe and, in the last days of the Soviet Union, struck pay dirt. In Moscow’s files on Treblinka they discovered a photo of the real “Ivan,” a far bigger, more mature man than the 23-year-old Demjanjuk in 1943.

Ivan Marchenko was positively identified as Ivan the Terrible.

To its eternal credit, Israel’s Supreme Court threw aside the verdict and stopped Demjanjuk from being the first man hanged in Jerusalem since Adolf Eichmann in 1961.

A humiliated OSI, through its Israeli friends, now asked the court to authorize a new trial, charging Demjanjuk with having been a guard at Sobibor — during the same time they previously charged he had been at Treblinka.

What OSI was admitting was that its case against Demjanjuk, to see him hang from the gallows as “Ivan the Terrible,” had been based on flimsy or falsified evidence and worthless or perjured testimony.

Replied the court, we don’t do double jeopardy here in Israel.

Demjanjuk was released. And the grin of the jailer who opened his cell testified that many in Israel never accepted the charge that this simple man was some unrivaled devil of the Holocaust.

So, after 13 years, the last four on death row reflecting on his hanging for horrors he never committed, Demjanjuk came home to Cleveland, a free man. His citizenship was restored.

Though disgraced, OSI was not ready to throw in its hand. For it had been dealt a new card by its old comrades in the KGB.

The new evidence was a signed statement by one “Danilchenko,” who claimed to have been a guard at Sobibor and had worked with Demjanjuk. As this document would have blown up the Treblinka case in Jerusalem, OSI had withheld it from the defense.

Another document turned up suggesting that Demjanjuk had indeed, after training at Trawniki camp, been assigned to Sobibor.

When the defense asked to interrogate “Danilchenko,” to verify he had made and signed the statement and to question him on details, they were told this was not possible. Seems Danilchenko had died after signing.

So, after the first 13 years of his ordeal took him right up to a gallows in Jerusalem, Demjanjuk has now been pursued for another 17 years by an OSI that will not rest until he has been convicted, somewhere, of genocide.

And so we come to today.

Demjanjuk is to be taken to Germany and prosecuted as an accessory to the murder of 29,000 Jews at Sobibor — though not one living person can place him at that camp and not even the German prosecutor will say that he ever hurt anyone. One witness in Israel, who was at Sobibor and says he knew all the camp guards, says he never saw Demjanjuk there.

If Friday’s ruling is upheld, John Demjanjuk, who has been charged with no crime on German soil, is to be taken to Germany, home of the Third Reich, to be tried by Germans for his alleged role in a genocide planned and perpetrated by Germans. He is to serve as the sacrificial lamb whose blood washes away the stain of Germany’s sins.

But if Germans wish to prosecute participants in the Holocaust, why not round up some old big-time Nazis, instead of a Ukrainian POW.

Answer: They cannot. Because the Germans voted an amnesty for themselves in 1969. So now they must find a Slav soldier they captured — and Heinrich Himmler’s SS conscripted and made a camp guard, if he ever was a camp guard — to punish in expiation for Germany’s sins.

The spirit behind this un-American persecution has never been that of justice tempered by mercy. It is the same satanic brew of hate and revenge that drove another innocent Man up Calvary that first Good Friday 2,000 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Morlar wrote: »

Answer: They cannot. Because the Germans voted an amnesty for themselves in 1969. So now they must find a Slav soldier they captured — and Heinrich Himmler’s SS conscripted and made a camp guard, if he ever was a camp guard — to punish in expiation for Germany’s sins.

The spirit behind this un-American persecution has never been that of justice tempered by mercy. It is the same satanic brew of hate and revenge that drove another innocent Man up Calvary that first Good Friday 2,000 years ago.

Thats simply not true. German citizens can still be prosecuted for war crimes, and there are still court cases ongoing in Germany. And if John Demjanuk really is identified as "Ivan the terrible", he should be prosecuted, age alone should be no excuse.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    he should be prosecuted, age alone should be no excuse.

Nowhere on this thread has anyone said that 'age alone' should excuse someone. However being a 90yr old in ill health deported from the country he lived in without breaking any laws since the 1950's is a factor.

Personally I would expect a more convincing level of evidence to extradite someone who had already spent years on deathrow based on unreliable jewish eyewitness identification & testimony.

If he was a guard that alone is not enough in my view.

You should have proof that he personally did something illegal.

As mentioned there were many guards and some were forced into it - this alone doesn't make them guilty of anything. There were also (as mentioned) sonderkommando who preyed on their own who were never and obviously will never be pursued. There was also a famous rabbi whose name escapes me who coerced jewish women into sex under extreme duress and informed on others while living the high life for himself (I believe this was in the warsaw ghetto but it would probably be easy enough to confirm on google, possibly plaszow).

There are also countless soviet warcrimes which have never even been investigated, let alone pursued through the courts.

I am not talking about a simple red army gulag guard (forced into being a guard) of a camp where large numbers of soviet and german citizens died in agony. Which would be the equivalent to the Demjanjuk case.

I am talking about people on the winning side who created policy and gave orders as well as those who literally pulled the trigger etc None of these were ever pursued as the political will is not there & the victims were not important or fashionable enough for the media or special interest lobby groups to throw their support behind.

Re your other point - there was a general german amnesty though as I understand it there were exclusions to this for exceptional circumstances.

Personally I would expect a more convincing level of evidence to extradite someone who had already spent years on deathrow based on unreliable jewish eyewitness identification & testimony.

If he was a guard that alone is not enough in my view.

Well, an american court found that there was enough evidence to extradite him to Germany, and a german court found there was enuogh evidence aginst him, to issue an arrest warrant.

an american court found that there was enough evidence to extradite him to Germany, and a german court found there was enuogh evidence aginst him, to issue an arrest warrant.

Yes, and that is what is being discussed here in this thread.

Ps there would be more information on the amnesty here (mentioned a few posts above):

http://books.google.ie/books?id=VMqpuY24EkoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=wolfram+wette

Page 245 onwards you can also search for 'amnesty' or 'statute of limitations' for more background to this. It was not a straightforward amnesty & as mentioned in the article above it would not apply to non-Germans.

He is to serve as the sacrificial lamb whose blood washes away the stain of Germany’s sins.

What a stupid conclusion!

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Morlar View Post

He is to serve as the sacrificial lamb whose blood washes away the stain of Germany’s sins.

What a stupid conclusion!

Probably worth clarifying that I did not say that - it was written by the article's author Pat Buchannan.

On what basis do you think it was a stupid conclusion if you dont mind me asking ? I would agree it's a bit overly dramatical & simplistic but there is an element of truth to it in my view.

As a german , I have to say, I find this statement quite offensive.

I want to google this Pat Buchanan guy first, before I answer your question.

Not to be pedantic but you take one sentence out of context then say it is a 'stupid conclusion' - I asked you simply why is it you think it is stupid, you then reply that it 'is offensive' and that you need to google the author before providing your reasons ?

The author is irrelevant in this context, I was just curious as to why you found it a stupid conclusion that's all. I am interested in hearing your reason before I decide for myself whether or not you are right on that point.

It was a long article which made many valid points of mixed relevance and accuracy - no one is saying 'I agree 100% with every line of this'.

It was presented for informational value in the context of the thread on this subject. As it happens I believe there is a grain of truth in that sentence which you took out of its context. Though I would not be arrogant enough to expect everyone to agree me - so I am just curious really.

There was also a famous rabbi whose name escapes me who coerced jewish women into sex under extreme duress and informed on others while living the high life for himself (I believe this was in the warsaw ghetto but it would probably be easy enough to confirm on google, possibly plaszow).

I think This is the guy you mean.

As I've mentioned earlier, my curiousoty here lies in the amount of double standard. John Demjanjuk is being extradited from the U.S. to face war crimes charges. John Demjanjuk as a Ukranian civillian whose country was overrun by the Nazis, had 2 choices, collaborate, or face destitution, and possible slave labour on a farm, or join the Waffen SS. It's difficult to prove what his motives were now after 60 years.

More recently, George Bush, Dick Chaney, and Israeli Defence Force Commanders, made conscious decisions to do the things they have done, and they did it on TV in front of the whole world, 5 months ago, not 60 years ago. Will Dick Chaney or George Bush, ever be extradited to face war crimes over Iraq ? Will Israeli Defence Force Commanders ever be extradited to face War Crimes charges, over using White Phosphorous on Gazan Civillians, last Christmas ?

If Not, then this trial is a sham, and John Demjanjuk a patsy.

marcsignal wrote: »
    I think This is the guy you mean.

Thanks for that - that is the same guy I was thinking of as

The suffering of his 'comrades' was beneath him. He was known to get rid of those he personally disliked by sending them to the camps. On top of this, he sexually abused vulnerable girls under his charge. See Auschwitz: the Nazis and the 'Final Solution Rees, L., especially the testimony of Lucille Eichengreen, pp, 105-131. Failure to succumb to his abuse meant death to the girl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah LAds you should have learnt by now

You cant question Israel, if they say someone was somewhere then thats Gospel truth, even if they later come out and say he was somewhere else ath the same time, thats also Gospel Truth and cannot be disputed as fact

otherwise The'll say you were somewhere you shouldnt have been doing horrible AntiSemetic things.

also Its Anti Semetic to discuss the IDF and their carryin out of gods Glorious master Plan, if that involves criticism, the IDF are beyond reproach and always conduct themselves to the highest standards (sound like any other organisation being discused here;))

it is sickening tho what they are doing to this man, there was anotrher aulfella grabbed in Perth a few months back, again hs 'crime' was the same as demjanjuk, he outlived all the others from the camps when the Zionists need someone to wheel out as a distraction form the Holocaust in Gaza.

if these men were guilty of these charges, well it was 60 years ago. there are no witnesses to their acts, and there are mitigating circumstances if they did it.

nobody was trying to offend you Cosmo K, or Germany, in fact your input here, as a German, is very much valued and appreciated

Thanks guys.

Its just, this S**t is gtoing on for so long, the war ended 60 years ago, and here we are, discussing a war crimes trial in 2009.

Yes he is an old man, and maybe the whole thing is just wrong, but just imagine fore a moment, the international reaction, if germany decided not to bring him to court. There would be even more uproar, I can already see the headlines..." Germany lets known war criminal walk free"....

I don't think, that even if he is found guilty, that he will have to go to jail. He is simply too old, but they couldn't just let him go.

Thanks guys.

Its just, this S**t is gtoing on for so long, the war ended 60 years ago, and here we are, discussing a war crimes trial in 2009.

Yes he is an old man, and maybe the whole thing is just wrong, but just imagine fore a moment, the international reaction, if germany decided not to bring him to court. There would be even more uproar, I can already see the headlines..." Germany lets known war criminal walk free"....

I don't think, that even if he is found guilty, that he will have to go to jail. He is simply too old, but they couldn't just let him go.

Thanks for your post - and sorry if you were made to feel unwelcome.

I agree with what you said there - but there is an 90yr old man in serious ill health now facing a trial for 29,000 counts of accessory to murder with practically zero evidence in exsistence that he personally did anything wrong or illegal whatsoever ( apart form possibly being a guard).

I agree that there would have been uproar (from the likes of the wiesentahl centre, ADL, and other jewish lobby groups etc) if Germany had decided not to proceed with this.

Yes they would have had a field day in the american media gaining sympathy and support if Germany had not proceeded with this. That is exactly what makes the entire proceedings politically motivated which fact undermines any legitimacy it would otherwise have had and is a large part of why it is objectionable in my view.

On the point of whether or not he will serve a sentence - he is right now in prison waiting trial. If he is acquited he is still deported permanently from the country where he raised a family since the 1950's. The effect on the psyche and body of a 90yr old in failing health of a lengthy trial of this magnitude & media demonisation are sentence enough in my opinion.

It is always possible that there may be some evidence about him somewhere which may come to light but at this point the evidenec seems to be ;

the statement of a single dead man which contradicts the statement of a living man (in addition to the accused).

And a list of names we are presumed to believe perished in that camp in some unknown/unproven manner or other.

There is a gaping hole there between the 2 things - a ) possibly he was a guard and c) here are some people we believe died at that camp.

There is no - b) - he committed this crime to x person on or around x date.

Imagine for a second the OJ level of proof american courts usually require and tell me that this case here comes within a million miles of meeting those levels.

Bearing in mind that previously this man has been on death row based on unreliable (and luckily for him disproven) testimony of jewish eyewitnesses this time around you would expect a more impressive standard of proof before going to these lengths considering the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

it'll be interesting to here what so called evidence they have once this trial starts,at ninety years of age it seems pointless to pursue such a case,all this will amount to is more political hype.Who will the Jewish community pursue once all these guys are gone,they should start looking at themselves in the mirror for a change and see what an oppressive state they've become

• Advertisement

Interesting article in a german magazine (its in english), not just about the Demjanuk case:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,625824,00.html

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Who will the Jewish community pursue once all these guys are gone

my moneys on them having another go at the Hunt Museum :pac:

i recently heard about this interesting item on the BBC world service

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6557344.ece

I wonder how many British guards are going to be dragged up before the international courts over it, and it was only in the 1950's so there should be at least a few still alive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31886167/ns/world_news-europe/

On the French channel TV5 last night I heard an interview with the prosecution saying that the 'duress factor' would have to be taken into account, (whether he would have been pressured to comply by the SS to carry out these duties,or be shot himself) which at least is an admission that this is a possibility.

The numbers have come down too - it was accessory to 29.000 murders now it is 27,900 (at this rate he will be out by christmas). I think there is an awful lot of political gain involved in this trial for the likes of the holocaust lobby & the pro israel lobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

At least, as they said, it's probably going to be Germany's last ever World War II related trial. Should've stopped years ago. :mad:

Found some interesting stuff about Sobibor that would raise an eyebrow or two..

http://www.codoh.com/newrevoices/nrtksgwl.html

http://www.deathcamps.org/sobibor/maps.html

I reckon it's time Tony Robinson (Time Team) paid a visit....

...I wonder does he do nixers???? :pac:

There was another trial which came to a verdict today. A 90yr old was sentenced to life in prison in Germany.

The standard of proof seems to be exceptionally low if you ask me.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8194691.stm
    Scheungraber, the former commander of a company of engineers, had lived for decades as a free man, and served on the town council in Ottobrunn, outside Munich.

He ran a furniture shop, attended German veterans' marches and recently received an award for municipal service.

&

http://www.kansas.com/wireupdates/story/925630.html

Scheungraber, who was in command of a company of engineers, maintains he was not in Falzano di Cortona when the killings happened, but was in charge of overseeing reconstruction of a nearby bridge.

His defense team called for an acquittal in their closing arguments in July, saying that there was no evidence of Scheungraber's personal guilt.

Prosecutors acknowledged that there are no known living witnesses who heard Scheungraber give the order to kill the civilians. But they said he was seen in pictures at the burial of the two German soldiers for whose deaths the reprisals were carried out.

Also, a former employee testified at the end of July that he remembered Scheungraber saying to him once in the 1970s that he couldn't visit Italy because of what had happened during the war, which had to do with "shooting a dozen men and blowing them into the air."

The witness, whose name was only given as Eugen S., testified he did not remember Scheungraber saying he had given the order, though he said the defendant told the story "as if it were his decision."

Perhaps the most dramatic testimony in the trial came in October from the sole survivor of the massacre, Gino Massetti, who was 15 when he was rounded up by German troops and herded into the barn before it was blown up.

"I heard a scream, and that was it then," he said. "They were all dead."

Massetti told the court that just before the barn was blown up, he saw a man he assumed was an officer drive up on a motorcycle and give what appeared to be an order to the others. But, he testified, he could not describe the officer at all and didn't understand what he had said because it was in German.

It dosen't make sense to sentence a 90 year old man to life imprisonment,god if someone can be sentenced using that evidence I wouldn't like to be an innocent man wrongly accused over there.

• Advertisement

arnhem44 wrote: »
    It dosen't make sense to sentence a 90 year old man to life imprisonment,god if someone can be sentenced using that evidence I wouldn't like to be an innocent man wrongly accused over there.

If you can imagine the 1980's in Ireland and a 90 yr old former british soldier who fought during the Irish war of independence being convicted on that sort of evidence ?

No eye witnesses to the events, no direct proof that he personally did anything wrong ? I doubt we would have even looked for a conviction nevermind a 90yr old getting a life sentence.

It is hard to understand.

Even in Ireland today there are cases of british soldiers who in the 1980's killed civilians for whom there was eyewitness evidence etc, a lot more evidence than the above example provides against a 90yr old for something that happened in the 1940's. It really is bizzare and seems that this guy is being sacrificed to a vindictive prosecutor who is politically motivated in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

It's a disgrace in my view. One can only hope that this is really "the last Nazi trial" in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,111 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems to be the practice in Germany that everyone has to bend over backwards to prove that they hate what the Nazis did, hence putting some old codger on trial with anecdotal evidence.

When you consider that Pinochet, for example, was let off the hook in view of his age, despite all of the evidence against him, it shows how ridiculous the situation has become.

I think that the post-war de-nazification of the German nation has had much to do with this "eternal" guilt complex, and groups like the Wiesenthal Organisation ramming it down the Germans' throats at every available opportunity. And then there's "Hollywood". There must be more holocaust productions now than any other genre since the silent movies. It's obviously still a money-spinner.

I think your right with that one,it seems they'll do everything in there power to prove to the world that they want to wipe the slate clean.I've always wondered though what happened to all the Nazi's after the war,there must of been countless numbers of belivers,considering the lent of time the Nazi Party was in power one would think people just wouldn't stop supporting a party they may of supported from the start,now I know after the war you wouldn't say you did still support the Nazi's but there must of been a considerable amount of people who never felt sorry

Bump

Trial started Yesterday.

There was an interesting article on this in today's independent by Kevin Myers, highlighting as others here have mentioned the total lack of Communist war crimes trials post ww2 (also mentions the Holdomor for good measure).

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/kevin-myers-if-john-demjanjuk-had-butchered-people-for-the-soviets-red-army-he-would-be-a-free-man-1962292.html

Kevin Myers: If John Demjanjuk had butchered people for the Soviet's Red Army, he would be a free man

THE Ukrainian concentration camp guard John Demjanjuk is currently being tried in Munich for his part in the murder of thousands of prisoners in the Sobibor camp in 1943. How different his plight would have been if he had been a Ukrainian concentration camp guard called John Demjanjuk whose crimes were committed under the Soviet Union. Because there have been no trials of the criminals who murdered millions under Stalin.

John Demjanjuk, Ukrainian and Soviet murderer, today would be a free man. John Demjanjuk, Ukrainian and Nazi murderer, faces the rest of his life in jail. The fiasco is made more piquant by the fact that a John Demjanjuk has already been tried for these same offences, but in an Israeli court, and was found not to be John Demjanjuk at all.

There is an elegant symmetry to Demjanjuk's trial: it began just 64 years (almost to the day) after the opening of the Nuremberg trials, which set precedents in both international law and international humbug. It is almost grimly entertaining that the Soviet Union was given the task of prosecuting the Nazis for "war crimes" and "crimes against humanity", matters in which Stalin as co-conspirator with the Third Reich against Poland and the Baltic countries was well-versed. Stalin's legions of Demjanjuks murdered quite as many people as Hitler's Demjanjuks: only a victor's peace, and a victor's "justice", could have drawn a line between the two; and given to the former medals, pensions, and honour; and to the latter disgrace, imprisonment, and public trial.

But another jurisprudential event at the moment draws our attention back to the Nuremberg trials of December 1945: the Chilcot Inquiry into the start of the Iraq War. The two prime categories of war crime that the British and the Americans were prosecuting Nazi defendants for were 1) a secret conspiracy to levy war, and 2) crimes against peace. Many people are now saying that former British prime minister Tony Blair could, on the Nuremberg principles alone, be tried on the first ground, though perhaps not on the second since conditions under Saddam did not merit the term "peace".

I supported the US-led invasion of Iraq because I believed the allied claim that Saddam still had weapons of mass-destruction. The claim was known by Blair to have been a lie. I also thought that to do nothing about Saddam's repeated violations of endless UN resolutions was no longer an option. I still think so.

He was, after all, the only state leader who had used ballistic missiles on three of his neighbours, who had started wars that had cost over a million lives, and who had poison-gassed thousands of his citizens. Another reason for my support of the invasion -- and this was, intellectually, truly deplorable -- was the appearance in the ranks of the anti-war lobby of the standard anti-American, anti-Israeli usual suspects (though I accept that most of the anti-invasion demonstrators were not the usual suspects). However, it is a poor argument that is based on the identity of its opponents.

We know now that the issue of weapons of mass destruction was irrelevant. The decision to go to war, for the purposes of regime change, had been secretly taken at George W Bush's ranch at Crawford in April 2002. This had echoes, not merely of the Hitler-Stalin accord of 1939, but also of another secret pact which led to war: that between the British, the French, and the Israelis to invade Egypt in 1956.

And the prime mover for that -- urged on behind the scenes by Winston Churchill -- was the British prime minister Anthony Eden. Eden, as British foreign secretary in 1943, had been present at the Moscow conference where it was decided to put the Nazis on trial for war crimes, including the secret conspiracy to levy war. If the attack on Poland in 1939 was a war crime, then the invasion of Suez -- in which the British were the prime movers -- was one also.

And had there subsequently been even a pretence of a trial of Eden, might that not have stood as a deterrent to Blair in his conspiracy to invade Iraq, come what may, in 2003? But that hypothesis is fanciful. Who was going to lead the campaign for a war trial of Eden? The USSR? But Soviet tanks were rolling into Budapest to crush Hungary's doomed bid for freedom even as British paratroopers were landing in Port Said.

John Demjanjuk is probably a war criminal and, even as an old man, deserves little of our pity. But his trial is not part of a broad programme of justice, for he has no political connections -- unlike the Soviet butchers of the Ukraine who twice-over tortured his country, before and after the war. More Ukrainians were killed in Stalin's artificial famines of 1932-33 than were Jews exterminated in the Final Solution. Soviet secret police murdered as many Ukrainians in 1941 as Jews were killed in Sobibor in 1943, the period for which Demjanjuk faces trial. No one has ever faced trial for these atrocities, and no one ever will. For history is never about justice; it is usually about power, as Tony Blair's contented old age will one day testify.

kmyers@independent.ie

- Kevin Myers

Irish Independent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I'd read Myers's piece and found myself entirely in agreement with it, but in particular this:

John Demjanjuk is probably a war criminal and, even as an old man, deserves little of our pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

marcsignal wrote: »
    It's Just been on the BBC that Ivan the Terrible - John Demjanjuk has been extradited to Germany from the U.S. to face trial relating to events at the Sobibor Concentration Camp.

There is no up to date link on the extradition yet, except these ones, some background history, and recent links to the blocking of his deportation last week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Demjanjuk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/7998947.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7982829.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1173174/Revealed-The-pictures-accused-Nazi-war-criminal-Ivan-terrible-fit-stand-trial.html

I'm going to be watching this case carefully. I remember the original trial in the 80s, when he was aquitted by an Israeli Court, which was some achievement, considering the hysteria at the time.

In the 80's he was accused of operating the Gas Chambers in the Treblinka Camp. The claim now is that he has been connected to events in the Sobibor Camp.

For a minor player of low rank, he certainly appears to have gotten around. I also can't help wondering how much of this has got to do with timing, Pope Benedicts visit to Israel, and the Vaticans efforts to distance Pope Pius 12ths controversial position on the Holocaust.

the americans would not deport him until now because he was a US citizen. its not the first time they have acted in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the trial is a farce and old John must be laughing up his sleeve. he will dead in a year or two.
    out of curiosity were the Jews who acted as Kapos and Ghetto police ever put on trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I dont really get the reasoning here, he shouldnt be tried because the soviets commited war crimes also/ so did some jews/ he is old? There are political reasons why these trails happens however I dont think it completely invalidates the need for a trail. I dont care if it was 6 or 60 years ago.

Should the issue not be if he is inocent or not? Its completely irelevant to this how many Gulags there were, what Kapos did, the question is if he is the sadistic gaurd in question (which seems unlikely if the Isrealis have already released him). Yes the Soviets should also admit their crimes, all the war crimes were not commited by the Nazis, this is a completely differing issue and what ever any other Jewish person did its not relevant.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Any Remaining War criminals Must be Put on trial if they are caught/found.

Escaping Justice for 60 years doesnt mean that his debt to the world has been paid

• Advertisement

Any Remaining War criminals Must be Put on trial if they are caught/found.

Escaping Justice for 60 years doesnt mean that his debt to the world has been paid

Cool, so when do you think we'll get to see this murdering bit of rough, take that long drop to the end of the rope ?

I have a mate in ticketmaster, and want to organise a ringside seat. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Ah LAds you should have learnt by now

You cant question Israel, if they say someone was somewhere then thats Gospel truth, even if they later come out and say he was somewhere else ath the same time, thats also Gospel Truth and cannot be disputed as fact

otherwise The'll say you were somewhere you shouldnt have been doing horrible AntiSemetic things.

also Its Anti Semetic to discuss the IDF and their carryin out of gods Glorious master Plan, if that involves criticism, the IDF are beyond reproach and always conduct themselves to the highest standards (sound like any other organisation being discused here;))

it is sickening tho what they are doing to this man, there was anotrher aulfella grabbed in Perth a few months back, again hs 'crime' was the same as demjanjuk, he outlived all the others from the camps when the Zionists need someone to wheel out as a distraction form the Holocaust in Gaza.

if these men were guilty of these charges, well it was 60 years ago. there are no witnesses to their acts, and there are mitigating circumstances if they did it.

That is a stupid and cretinous post. The man was tried in Israel, convicted but then that conviction was overturned and he was set free or did you not read that part.

This trial in Germany has NOTHING to do with Israel or the IDF so your post is entirely without merit and is typical of those who want to drag Israel into any rant despite getting the facts wrong.

Yeah I read that bit, I Read about how the man was wrongfully imprisoned for 7 years and then after he starts to get whats left his life back together he is accused of being someone else at some other camp on the Very sketchiest of evidence.

If the Rabid Zionists really want to try some war criminals they dont have far to look to fimd something a lot more recent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,111 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yeah I read that bit, I Read about how the man was wrongfully imprisoned for 7 years and then after he starts to get whats left his life back together he is accused of being someone else at some other camp on the Very sketchiest of evidence.

If the Rabid Zionists really want to try some war criminals they dont have far to look to fimd something a lot more recent.

I would imagine that Israel, after gathering this additional evidence, would liked to have had another go, but perhaps they're not allowed to under a double jeopardy law, or whatever.

Perhaps the Germans got lumbered with it. I don't know who's applied pressure for a prosecution, but it would be interesting to find out.

Heres a Totally unbiased:rolleyes: Report from AP
    Nazi guard breaks silence

* From correspondents in Berlin
    * April 14, 2010 5:24AM

* Increase Text Size
    * Decrease Text Size
    * Print
    * Email
    o Add to Digg
    o Add to del.icio.us
    o Add to Facebook
    o Add to Kwoff
    o Add to Myspace
    o Add to Newsvine
    o What are these?

JOHN Demjanjuk, a 90-year-old accused of helping to murder 27,900 Jews as a guard at a Nazi death camp, denied the charges today in the first statement since his trial began in November.

Mr Demjanjuk said he was "forcibly deported to Germany" where "false charges" were pressed on him, in a statement read out to a court in Munich by his lawyer, Ulrich Busch.

"I find it an unbearable injustice that Germany is trying to make me, a prisoner of war, into a war criminal with this trial," he said.

Mr Demjanjuk is standing trial on 27,900 counts of being an accessary to murder on allegations he was a guard at the Sobibor camp in occupied Poland.

He denies ever being at any camp, claiming he is the victim of mistaken identity.

Mr Demjanjuk told the court that, as a Soviet prisoner of war, the Nazis used him as a slave labourer, while killing millions of his fellow Ukrainians.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    Related Coverage

* Alleged former Nazi guard raided NEWS.com.au, 21 Jan 2010
    * Holocaust's last reckoning The Australian, 2 Dec 2009
    * 'Nazi death camp guard faking illness' NEWS.com.au, 1 Dec 2009
    * Nazi death camp guard goes on trial NEWS.com.au, 30 Nov 2009
    * The last Nazi war crimes trial The Australian, 30 Nov 2009

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Since his extradition from the US last May, Mr Demjanjuk has been in a prison near Munich, again "as a German prisoner of war", he said.

"I am again and again an innocent victim of the Germans," he told the court.

The two-page statement signed by Mr Demjanjuk was the first comment of length the retired Ohio carworker has made in court since his trial began November 30.

As in previous sessions, Mr Demjanjuk lay motionless on a hospital bed in the courtroom.

Mr Demjanjuk's family say he is suffering from a litany of health complaints and will likely not survive the trial.

Doctors have judged him fit to stand trial but limited the time he is in court. Several sessions have been postponed after Mr Demjanjuk complained of pain or dizziness.

Mr Demjanjuk is accused of spending six months in 1943 at the Sobibor death camp in Nazi-occupied Poland, pushing thousands of Jews into gas chambers. He has always denied the charges.

He was previously found guilty in Israel of being Ivan the Terrible, a particularly sadistic death camp guard at Treblinka, but released after the Israeli Supreme Court established they had the wrong man.

After today's session, a lawyer representing the families of victims of the Holocaust who have joined the trial as co-plaintiffs, as allowed under the German system, said the statement shows Mr Demjanjuk is still showing no remorse and lacks understanding.

"The defendant did not say a word about the Nazis' victims," lawyer Rolf Kleidermann said.

Mr Demjanjuk could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted for his alleged activities training as a guard in the SS camp Trawniki, then serving at Sobibor.

The prosecution argues that after Mr Demjanjuk, a Soviet Red Army soldier, was captured by the Germans in 1942, he volunteered to serve under the SS as a guard.

Mr Demjanjuk denies ever having served as a guard, saying that he spent most of the rest of the war in Nazi POW camps before joining the so-called Vlasov Army of anti-communist Soviet POWs and others. That army was formed to fight with the Germans against the encroaching Soviets in the final months of the war.

The trial is scheduled to continue tomorrow.

With AP.

I just did a few google searches to see about the NKVD Katyn executioners and where they are now.

There is no single official authorative documentary style site that I could find just a lot of forums and so on. The search also throws up some amateurish looking revisionist style ones too.

Though there does seem to be a common thread among most of them, that is that the NKVD executioners responsible for Katyn were at least partly composed of communist jews working in Stalin's NKVD.

These men later moved to Israel where they were subsequently interviewed on television about the execution methods they employed at Katyn.

If anyone can find any youtube links of that I'd be interested in seeing what they have to say for themselves.

The same results come up when looking for information about the NKVD executioners at Vinnitsa.

As an example here is one from a russian forum

http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.php?282279-JEWS-MURDERED-POLES-at-KATYN-%28UKRAINIANS-at-VINNITSA%29-Believe-it-or-not!&p=3101155&viewfull=1

Whether or not that site and the information in it is correct the pattern there is clear - that there is zero political will or effort made in tracking down any nkvd war criminals whatsoever. So it seems to me that not all victims are equal, especially when talking about those of Katyn and Vinnitsa where the perpetrators were at least partly made up of communist jews.

I just did a few google searches to see about the NKVD Katyn executioners and where they are now.

There is no single official authorative documentary style site that I could find just a lot of forums and so on. The search also throws up some amateurish looking revisionist style ones too.

Though there does seem to be a common thread among most of them, that is that the NKVD executioners responsible for Katyn were at least partly composed of communist jews working in Stalin's NKVD.

Whether or not that site and the information in it is correct the pattern there is clear - that there is zero political will or effort made in tracking down any nkvd war criminals whatsoever. So it seems to me that not all victims are equal, especially when talking about those of Katyn and Vinnitsa where the perpetrators were at least partly made up of communist jews.

A significant proportion of the wartime Soviet population was Jewish, so it is unsurprising that there were Jewish commnuists and Jewish NKVD members. It's a bit of a leap from that fact to conclude that this is a major factor in the lack of any prosecutions for the Katyn massacre.

The much more obvious reason for the lack of any prosecutions is that the order for the massacre came from the very top of the Soviet state - it was planned by Beria and approved by Stalin and the full Soviet Poliburo. If there were prosecutions, they would inevitably lead right to these men, who remained in charge of the USSR for decades after the war.

(Incidentally, the page linked to above - a CIA research paper - notes that about 700 to 900 of the Katyn victims, or about 4% of the total, were themselves Jews. As the paper puts it: "the Germans knew this, and it complicated Goebbels' effort to portray the atrocity as a 'Jewish-Bolshevik conspiracy' -- a mainstay of the Nazi regime's anti-Semitic propaganda.")

gizmo555 wrote: »
    A significant proportion of the wartime Soviet population was Jewish, so it is unsurprising that there were Jewish commnuists and Jewish NKVD members.

That works on the assumption that jewish involvement with the bolsheviks was proportional which it is widely debated was not.
    It's a bit of a leap from that fact to conclude that this is a major factor in the lack of any prosecutions for the Katyn massacre.

I would not call it a leap of faith. Nor did I say it was 'THE ONLY REASON' which is what your response seems to assume.

It is a factor however & if nkvd war criminals are resident in israel that would explain the lack of political will to resolve them. The fact that the nkvd victims were non jewish is another factor. There certainly is more of an appetite for pursuing warcriminals who are not jewish than those who were. Who the victims were is another factor in my view.
    The much more obvious reason for the lack of any prosecutions is that the order for the massacre came from the very top of the Soviet state - it was planned by Beria and approved by Stalin and the full Soviet Poliburo. If there were prosecutions, they would inevitably lead right to these men, who remained in charge of the USSR for decades after the war.

Stalin did not remain in power for decades after the war. In fact there were purges of Stalinists from within about 10 yrs after the war. Considering both he and beria were dead 8 yrs after the war that is not a factor. Also we are not living in 1953 at the moment, however at the moment there are war criminal trials and not so much as a peep about the nkvd from the international community about those. Given the recent high profile of Katyn and by extension Vinnitsa this is a puzzle. No one is saying that the current 2010 russian leadership should be on charges so I don't give too much credence to this as being the reason for why there is no political will to pursue this in 2010 when compared to the one this thread is about.

Consider also that there is no direct evidence that J.D personally did anything to anybody. He was charged with 'being a guard' at a facility throughout a period when x people died. The NKVD ones who had literally blood on their hands from pulling triggers would surely be a far greater prize if the only and pure goal of all of this was apolitical humanitarianism in it's intent.

That works on the assumption that jewish involvement with the bolsheviks was proportional which it is widely debated was not.

I would not call it a leap of faith. Nor did I say it was 'THE ONLY REASON' which is what your response seems to assume.

It is a factor however & if nkvd war criminals are resident in israel that would explain the lack of political will to resolve them. The fact that the nkvd victims were non jewish is another factor. There certainly is more of an appetite for pursuing warcriminals who are not jewish than those who were. Who the victims were is another factor in my view.

You're obviously entitled to your view. My opinion is the simplest explanation is the most likely, that is that Katyn was covered up by the Soviets because to investigate it would have proved the approval at the very highest level of this massacre. The participation of Jews in the massacre is a complete side issue.
    Stalin did not remain in power for decades after the war. In fact there were purges of Stalinists from within about 10 yrs after the war. Considering both he and beria were dead 8 yrs after the war that is not a factor.

Other signatories of the order for the massacre lived on well beyond the 50s, e.g., Voroshilov, who died in 1969; Mikoyan who died in 1978; Molotov who died in 1986; and Kaganovich, who died in 1991.
    Consider also that there is no direct evidence that J.D personally did anything to anybody. He was charged with 'being a guard' at a facility throughout a period when x people died. The NKVD ones who had literally blood on their hands from pulling triggers would surely be a far greater prize if the only and pure goal of all of this was apolitical humanitarianism in it's intent.

I don't know much about the Demjanjuk case. I will say that two wrongs don't make a right and if he has a case to answer (and I stress I've no particular view on that one way or another) he should answer it. The failure to prosecute those responsible for Katyn is irrelevant.

My opinion is the simplest explanation is the most likely, that is that Katyn was covered up by the Soviets because to investigate it would have proved the approval at the very highest level of this massacre. The participation of Jews in the massacre is a complete side issue.

No one has said that Katyn was covered up for any reason other than to protect those who committed the crimes or authorised them and were in power at the time of the coverup.

Except we are not talking about the coverup here. We are talking about the politicised & selective pursuit of WW2 warcrimes in 2010.
    Other signatories of the order for the massacre lived on well beyond the 50s, e.g., Voroshilov, who died in 1969; Mikoyan who died in 1978; Molotov who died in 1986; and Kaganovich, who died in 1991.

Again - no one has said that there is a need to put the current 2010 Russian administration on trial so this is an irrelevant point to make.
    I don't know much about the Demjanjuk case. I will say that two wrongs don't make a right and if he has a case to answer (and I stress I've no particular view on that one way or another) he should answer it.

Would you equally have no problem if other laws were selectively enforced ? How about only charging black people with street crimes ? So long as they commited the crime then they have a case to answer so by your logic this would be acceptable ? Who cares if we never charge white people ?

The same principle applies here except to a far greater extent than domestic crime.
    The failure to prosecute those responsible for Katyn is irrelevant.

You couldn't be more wrong on that. For these trials (JD one being the current example) to be correctly judged to be apolitical they should be pursued in an apolitical manner, there should be no order of preference given on the basis of who the perpetrator is or what ethnicity the victims were.

Only pursuing cases where non jews were perpetrators while ignoring cases where jews were perpetrators makes a mockery of entire process. Likewise only pursuing cases where jews were victims as opposed to those where non jews were the victims further undermines the entire process. To first of all say - thats not a factor, then to say - ok even if that is a factor it's irrelevant is a nonsense in my view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement