Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law and cost on speed camera detectors.

• 01-04-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Guys anyone here know the specific laws with regards to laser/speed camera detectors in Ireland, where is the best place to get them and how much do they cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Think this came up before and they are against the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

voxpop wrote: »
    Think this came up before and they are against the law

To own or to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Legal to have..... illegal to use :rolleyes: IIRC

Where's the best place to get one ( just to see what they look like of course :) ) and what are considered "must have " specs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

• Advertisement

Firstly laser detectors are a waste of time as you will be caught before it warns you.

Laser jammers/diffusers are the only way to avoid laser speed traps. It works by jamming the signal from the speed gun. The guard gets a standard error message on his screen and you get an alarm you then have say 5 seconds to slow down before the jammer shuts off and the guard can get a reading, therefore it does not arouse suspicion. You need a unit in your front grill and the the back of the car for full protection.

Cameras still use radar so for this you need a radar detector, this gives you a warning and you slow down.

They are of course illegal and the above is just information not advice.

Where is good to get more information and not advice on specific products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Guys anyone here know the specific laws with regards to laser/speed camera detectors in Ireland?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0050.html
    3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.

4. A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which is fitted, or in or on which is carried, a speed meter detector whether or not such device is actually in use.

5. (1) The importation or supplying of, or offering to supply, a speed meter detector is hereby prohibited.

(2) The fitting of, or offering to fit, a speed meter detector to a mechanically propelled vehicle is hereby prohibited.

Technically, section 3 also prohibits a SatNav with POIs indicating fixed cameras, and possibly even a map with an X marking the position of a camera. We're not too good at writing laws here - they either have massive loopholes, or prohibit unintended actions no matter how innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'm surprised nobody's tried to build a Stealthcar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

homer90 wrote: »

Nope. As per the law (quoted above), illegal to import, and illegal to have fitted to, or carried in, a vehicle (whether in use or not). You could probably have one in your house, assuming you didn't import it, but what would be the point?

• Advertisement

Where is good to get more information and not advice on specific products?

Here is one example of a "parking sensor kit" which may be of interest.

http://www.snooperuk.com/products/laserstar/index?instance_id=1921

Do a search on the snooper website they have plenty of "parking sensors" and "Garage door openers" for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92s1vMrmLtw here is a bit 5th gear did on them. They talk about "Garage door openers" from about 7.25 in.

Just make sure you fit an automatic garage door to your garage then I cant see how the guards could touch you for having a laser diffuser if it is really for opening your garage door!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Without being a smart arse here. Not all of them 100% work in time. By the time you've fitted them and the cost etc (Having looked into the myself post penalty points) is it not just easier to stick to the speed limit and avoid the points. Besides having to deal with false warnings constantly while driving..

If a garda judges you over the speed limit visually and gets errors on his gun he's automatically interested in having a good look at your car.. that leads to tax check, tyre check, lights etc.. you know the way they operate....

You see thats the thing, Im not a fast driver and Id hate to be caught for a silly one like 58 in a 50 or something. I have no points and would like to keep it that way. The only reason I asked is because a friend of mines mother is on 4 points , both cases of slightly over the limit in low limit areas. Shes never had a accident in her life and is about as much of a danger to other road users as cow standing in the middle of a field. BUT or boys in blue ( In a fu**ing Transit on the side of the road ) dont agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

whats the point in having one unless you use it? Its hardly going to sit on the mantle piece..!!!

I got caught with one a few years back, it was confiscated and I was prosecuted. Nuff said. In saying that, back then it looked odd if you had a device on your dash and thats how it was spotted. With most cars having sat navs now they are less likely to get noticed at a glance.
    Personally, I think they are a waste of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Where's the best place to get one ( just to see what they look like of course :) ) and what are considered "must have " specs?

I would highly recomend this crowd, I have had the pleasure of using them outside the state, of course, and great devices....
    must haves, go a gooogle search, check which bands our crwod use, it used to be the K band but i think thats changed a bit now,
    you can also get one that after detections allows the jammer to work for 10sec then switches off.... handy ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You see thats the thing, Im not a fast driver and Id hate to be caught for a silly one like 58 in a 50 or something. I have no points and would like to keep it that way. The only reason I asked is because a friend of mines mother is on 4 points , both cases of slightly over the limit in low limit areas. Shes never had a accident in her life and is about as much of a danger to other road users as cow standing in the middle of a field. BUT or boys in blue ( In a fu**ing Transit on the side of the road ) dont agree.

Since low limit areas are where childern and people move about, keeping to the limit in these areas is more important then on the open road. The Gardai usually give a bit of lee way when speeding so she'd have to have been a good bit over the limit to get done.

I've seen the shooting fish in a barrel check points where everyone speeds. Take it up with your councillor to get the limit changed, don't give out about the Gardai doing their job

I'm no angel and have exceeded the limit plenty of times. When I got caught I took it and didn't go looking for a way out or get something which will get me into even more trouble then speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

phutyle wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0050.html

Technically, section 3 also prohibits a SatNav with POIs indicating fixed cameras, and possibly even a map with an X marking the position of a camera. We're not too good at writing laws here - they either have massive loopholes, or prohibit unintended actions no matter how innocent.

Not true. We don't really have any fixed camera locations as there are approx 16 sites (Gatso grey boxes) and 3 cameras rotated between the 16 sites. So a sat nav loaded with these locations is only indicating the location where a speed camera may or may not be, or has been in the past. It is certainly not "capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

there are approx 16 sites (Gatso grey boxes) and 3 cameras rotated between the 16 sites.

:eek: really? So even if you are driving too fast past one there is only around a 20% chance that it was recorded??

Cionád wrote: »
    :eek: really? So even if you are driving too fast past one there is only around a 20% chance that it was recorded??

Probably even less, I heard recently that only one of the cameras is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

A car I used to own had Trafficmaster installed as standard by manufacturer. This could detect fixed cameras at about 200 metres away. Not that useful in Ireland as there are not too many, well at the moment anyway......

• Advertisement

mcwhirter wrote: »
    A car I used to own had Trafficmaster installed as standard by manufacturer. This could detect fixed cameras at about 200 metres away. Not that useful in Ireland as there are not too many, well at the moment anyway......

I'm sure the idea of introducing cameras all over the place will become more and more appealing given the state of the finances.

Advertisement