Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checkpoint, No NCT, No Problem.

• 30-03-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Was driving the wifes car the weekend and noticed that the NCT is out for months ( shame on me I know ,its booked in this morning ).....Anyway half way to the cinema with the kids I met a garda checkpoint. I couldnt believe it ,whats the chances. Didnt mater though the guard didnt care. He looked at the tax and insurance and waved me on. Now Im sure if the tax was out it might be a different scenario. Anyway just want to say thanks to the guard for not ruining my day :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

As long as your car isn't about to fall apart in the middle of the road, or belching clouds of smoke, they won't care. You're taxed, you're insured and you have a drivers license...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Good to know. Mine is almost three months out as well - I'm a bad boy! just want to get my timing belt done first. Better get my a.. in gear.

I got breathalysed last Saturday night after the game. The first time ever in 40+ years. Teetotal so no worries there. They were positioned nicely, just beyond the brow of a hill where you couldn't spot in advance and on a one-way street, so well done to the boys in blue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I had a bizarre case once where I came to a checkpoint and it was the first week of the month my tax was due for renewal and it was in the post. So my tax disc was out of date. I also had my insurance suspended while out with a broken leg so I was still waiting on my insurance disc to come back in the post. Imagine my surprise when he checked for both and waved me on without a word.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Alot of gardai could not give a damn about tax or nct. Insurance is a different story.

When we are doing check points we only look out for known dangerous criminals. I guess becuase of the area we are in (one of the worst in dublin). Trust me from experience you can tell from looking at people what type they are. Thats why most decent people are normally waved right through check points.

Recovering drugs or a firearm is alot more important that giving a ticket to some office worker because his tax is out by two months.

In quiter areas i suppose the gardai have nothing else to do, so the motorist is an easy target.

I hate to see gardai standing over on the tax/ins disc side of the car at checkpoints. They should be at the drivers window looking for known criminals,drug addicts and drunk drivers to hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

is it not illegal to drive not displaying your insurance disc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

rocknchef wrote: »
    is it not illegal to drive not displaying your insurance disc?

Technically, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I used to get stopped a checkpoint up near Ballymun quite a lot. He used to look at my out of date tax and walk over to my window and ask me how my day is and where Im going. Most of the time he never made eye contact and was checking out the inside of my car.

I reckon he was suspicious of me. I had a shaved head at the time and drove a jet black C180. I didn't mind, I thought it was nice to make small talk then drive off while knowing that Guard might actually spot someone/something more interesting in the next car.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Technically, yes.

just my auld man was stopped before and was told that by the Gaurd. so last week he was waiting for new insurance disc to come in post as his old one was stolen from the car and he wouldnt drive the car he prefered the bus than the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I am embarrassed to admit a couple of years ago my NCT was almost 1 year out of date. Had been stopped at numerous checkpoints & never asked about it. When finally queried I had just done the test but needed to do a retest. Even then I did not have the NCT letter & was able to talk myself out of.

Guards really only care about tax & insurance i.e. money.

I believe they are a lot more strict now?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Got stopped on saturday night, driving an old car of mine I'm selling as the company van was in for a DOE, NCT up about a month or so, guard did he walk around the car as they do, shone the torch at the Insurance/Tax/NCT then waved me on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Same with me yesterday. There was a checkpoint near Tallaght, NCT is out for 3 months, no problem with that even that it's old '95 Carina. Car is taxed, insurance is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I was with no NCT for oh, say, 6 months. Poor form, I know - but through at least 6 checkpoints, and not a word at any...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bandit883

i was stopped by a guard the other day driving a commercial jeep and he wanted to know why i didn't have a nct cert on the window, i just said well thats probably because i'm not driving a car :rolleyes: they dont have a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Checkpoint, No NCT, No Problem.

You'd be amazed how a thread title like that could make the next checkpoint encounter a different story.

Bandit883 wrote: »
    i was stopped by a guard the other day driving a commercial jeep and he wanted to know why i didn't have a nct cert on the window, i just said well thats probably because i'm not driving a car :rolleyes: they dont have a clue!

That has happened to me a nunber of times while driving carvans, it's drilled into them, TAX INSURANCE NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Simow

I'd be afraid that if the worst was to happen and you killed someone in another car and your car had no NCT the courts could say your car had no right to be on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Chief--- wrote: »
    When we are doing check points we only look out for known dangerous criminals. I guess becuase of the area we are in (one of the worst in dublin). Trust me from experience you can tell from looking at people what type they are. Thats why most decent people are normally waved right through check points.

I've been through a few of these checkpoints - taking shortcuts through iffy estates! :D

I had an out of date insurance disc for over 6 months on display - before I realised that I'd forgotten to put the new one in the car:eek::eek:

I'd been through checkpoints like the ones Chief-- mentions more than once in the time, but the combination of a Golf Plus, a two year old kid in the back and that geeky look that only IT people seem to have saw me through without comment :D

Paddy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

just because that Garda didnt seem to mind about out of date NCT doesnt mean others won't.

Couple of months ago my ex just about got out of a fine for having an NCT disc out of date by 3 months.

But then you can stand up in court and tell them you got advice from the motors forum on boards.ie and it was ok:D

rocknchef wrote: »
    But then you can stand up in court and tell them you got advice from the motors forum on boards.ie and it was ok:D

Would a print out of the Forum do or would you need to take a laptop in as evidence lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,512 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You might well get through many checkpoints with an out-of-date NCT, but the car can actually be seized for this.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

What's a checkpoint?:confused:

Don't know when I saw one last, maybe about 6/7 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

you always get away with till your caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian47

Most gaurds are actually dead on about this sort of thing.. was driving round for about 3 weeks with no insurance disc waiting on it to come and drove through 2-3 checkpoints and nothing was said.

had tax 2 months out of date and waved through.

Once at a traffic corps checkpoint I was asked if I'd a full license or not (I look about 16) and i said I had and when I'd passed test ect. and proceed'd to look for it and he just took my word for it and waved me through...

Infact last time my auld lad bought a brand new car the local garda was looking at it and in conversation said something like "there'd be no need taxing that for a month or 2" :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'm not sure about the legal requirement to have an NCT or display it i've heard people say that technically you dont have to have one but i have my doubts about that. But if you don't and are involved in a crash of any kind you can bet your ass the insurance company will say the car isn't roadworthy and wont pay out unless you get an engineeers inspection and report which could cost a lot more if it's even possible at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

DanGerMus wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the legal requirement to have an NCT or display it i've heard people say that technically you dont have to have one but i have my doubts about that.

the fine for no NCT is €1,500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

DanGerMus wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the legal requirement to have an NCT or display it i've heard people say that technically you dont have to have one but i have my doubts about that. But if you don't and are involved in a crash of any kind you can bet your ass the insurance company will say the car isn't roadworthy and wont pay out unless you get an engineeers inspection and report which could cost a lot more if it's even possible at that stage.

I agree with DanGerMouse, As an Insurance Broker we are asked to get a copy of an NCT if the vehicle is over 10 years old at an inception of a policy but if there is a claim of any sort, and the vehicle in question is at an age where it would need an NCT legally, they would request it and they would have a great excuse not to pay out if they didnt get it.

That alone would be enough for me to have an NCT on my car, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

sher i was driving around in my old car for over a year with no NCT since 2006 and never a word said. mind you it was a 206 and once something goes in it and gets fixed something worse goes:rolleyes:

in saying that my new car which is incidentally older, FLEW through the NCT today!

most insurance companies would see the car as unfit for the roads without a test and therefore would not pay out in a claim..... well... quinn anyways :P

Advertisement