Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iCloud Drive

Options
  • 30-10-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use this, or have issues with it?
    I used to use iWork prior to Yosemite/ iOS 8 and never had an issue. However now it doesn't seem to work properly for me at all.

The way I understand it, iCloud Drive replaces iWork, and I should store all my iWork docs in the Drive folder and they should sync automatically?

I've added new docs to my iCloud Drive folder on my Mac and they are not showing up on iCloud.com. Likewise if I create a doc on iCloud.com it doesn't sync to my Mac either.

What I see on iCloud.com is completely different to what's on my Mac.

I'm really not sure how I can fix this? It's frustrating that this worked perfectly for years and suddenly now has caused me problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

There are folders within iCloud Drive for the iWork documents, and they get stored in there by default. Are they not showing on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Zcott wrote: »
    There are folders within iCloud Drive for the iWork documents, and they get stored in there by default. Are they not showing on the website?

Kind of. On my Mac I see one folder for Numbers and one for Pages. On the iCloud drive section on iCloud.com I see many more folders. The Numbers or Pages ones online don't have the same docs in them as the ones on my mac.

That's odd, because it's working for me. What other folders are you seeing on iCloud.com that you're not seeing on the Mac?

On Yosemite, when you're opening something in Pages or Numbers are you choosing iCloud Drive in the sidebar, or Pages or Numbers as the first option under iCloud?

Also, do you have an iOS device you can test with? Seems like something's not syncing and checking on an iPad or iPhone in those apps would let you know which isn't syncing.

On iCloud.com there are folders for: Automator, iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Preview, QuickTime Player, Script Editor, TextEdit.
    On my Mac I only have Pages and Numbers (they're the only types of files I have stored there anyway so that's fine).

I'm not sure what you mean about where I'm opening the document from though. When I open, say, Numbers, there is a dropdown in the middle of the bar on top. I can chose "Numbers - iCloud" or "iCloud Drive". I would think that the first one should contain all the documents I see on iCloud.com, but that's not the case.

I do have an iPad I could try this on, but not with me at the moment - I'll see what it shows.

Here's what I mean about where you're opening the document from. It seems there are plenty of options for the same thing, which is iCloud. Are all your documents there but just not syncing with iCloud.com?

g62N7I2.png

• Advertisement

That's strange - I don't seem to have the iCloud "section" in the bar on the left:

zrB1t2P.png

Here's what I see in iCloud.com. As mentioned before, the contents of the folders are very different.

1pW27yT.png

The bulk of my documents are on iCloud.com, not on my Mac. I could download them all from there and place them in the iCloud Drive folder on my Mac, but if they don't sync I'm not sure how useful that is.

That image I posted above is when I try to open a document from within Pages or Numbers. Does yours look the same?

It sounds like your Mac isn't doing iCloud Drive right, because within Yosemite my iCloud drive looks like your iCloud version of iCloud Drive. Maybe try turning iCloud Drive off and on again, or restarting.

Zcott wrote: »
    That image I posted above is when I try to open a document from within Pages or Numbers. Does yours look the same?

It sounds like your Mac isn't doing iCloud Drive right, because within Yosemite my iCloud drive looks like your iCloud version of iCloud Drive. Maybe try turning iCloud Drive off and on again, or restarting.

Ok, got it! When I try to open a Pages doc I can see the same now.
    I took the drastic step of saving all my iCloud docs, signing out of my account (removes all docs), and adding them all in again once I signed back in. It seems to have done some good. As far as I can tell my docs are now synching, or at least they're showing up.
    I guess maybe there was some corruption with my account? I'm not really sure, but it may have been fixed.
    Thanks for your help on this!

Great, it's annoying when it doesn't work but very handy when it does :-)

Advertisement