Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM upgrade Macbook (late 2008)

• 23-10-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

I've cleaned out my macbook over the last week and upgraded to Yosemite. Loving the OS but I think it might be far snappier if I upgraded my RAM from the 2GB it was shipped with as it gets a bit sluggish when running a few programmes.

As far as I know Apple recommends 4GB max but other sites are saying it can take 8GB. Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to 4 or 8 GB and did they notice much difference?

It has a 2.4ghz intel core duo processor and as far as I can tell the below RAM would work for it.

Any recommendations on whether the crowd below are any good or if anyone can recommend cheaper source for RAM would be great. Also would 8GB be overkill, I'm not running photoshop or anything intensive like that. Any advice appreciated.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I would max out the RAM tbh. Apple recommend 4GB as sometimes the difference between it and the 8GB can be negligible. You can get either the 4GB or 8GB from Crucial who would be the recommended RAM supplier. Just follow the steps on the front page to identify your particular make and model and it will tell you which RAM is best compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I've the same machine as you, and I upgraded to 4GB a few years ago. Instant and good upgrade. I haven't tried going to 8 because I'm pretty sure 4 is the maximum.

If you really want a good upgrade, get an SSD in there. I think mine is a Mercury Electra 3G, and the difference was night and day when I upgrades. Yosemite runs really well on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Cheers chaps. Might bump it to the 4GB so, reckon that should do me. Was looking at Crucial website for RAM too, but US sites seem cheaper. Will hold off on SSD for now but definitely a thought for the future. Thanks again

Advertisement