Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

black smoke from boiler flue

Options
  • 19-10-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just noted that my boiler flue has started to emit quite heavy black smoke.
    Lots of soot initially on firing then just black smoke . This is just recently , prior to this there was just light white smoke . I recently cleaned out the smoke box and fitted new padding on access panel. Would appreciate any advice .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

capt joe wrote: »
    Lots of soot initially on firing then just black smoke . This is just recently , prior to this there was just light white smoke . I recently cleaned out the smoke box and fitted new padding on access panel. Would appreciate any advice .

The only thing to do here is call in a pro and get a service and burner setup.
    It would be impossible to tell exactly what the problem is but it's more than likely airflow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You have knocked one or more of your settings way off.
    By allowing it to run like that you are going to build up a lot of soot inside the boiler which will cause you to loose heat transfer, in turn costing you more money to run.
    Get someone in to re-calibrate everything for you and make sure they use an analyser to confirm it is set up correctly for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I recently cleaned out the smoke box and fitted new padding on access panel. Would appreciate any advice .

You obviously messed up and the padding is not sealing, you need someone who knows what they are doing or you could end up brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 capt joe

Hi all, Thanks for the feed back , I called in the professionals and they found the problem .Air in the systems and settings had to be adjusted . Next time I will get the pros . Again thanks all.
    Capt Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Do you live in the Vatican perchance? :)

Seriously get a boiler service technician in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 williewarmer

its not a black pope. its soot.

service & clean everything including the flue and dont go messing with it again. lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Hi all, Thanks for the feed back , I called in the professionals and they found the problem .Air in the systems and settings had to be adjusted . Next time I will get the pros .

Then if thats the case then you obviously did a little more than just "cleaned out the smoke box and fitted new padding on access panel"

Advertisement