Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

40,000 miles and its going to be scrapped !

Options
  • 20-04-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I've just seen a 2002 Ford Transit with only 40,000 miles belonging to the Post Office going to be scrapped. Now I know that Post Office vans get a hard time and lots of them would be knackered early on in life but this is the second really good one I've seen in a month thats going to end up in the bin. Givin the times we are in and the fact that the country doesnt seem to have 2 pennys to rub together does anybody else agree with me that this is complete and utter madness. Its not the point of how much its worth but more the fact of how long a serviceable life this van would have had left plus how much is it gonna cost the state to replace all these good vans going on the scrap heap. CRAZY. Industries going bust by the day and the complete waste by the civil servants continues :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Was always sure they sold them on. I used often see green vans with An post faded on the side of the van from where the sign was. Havnt seen one in years tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I've just seen a 2002 Ford Transit with only 40,000 miles belonging to the Post Office going to be scrapped. Now I know that Post Office vans get a hard time and lots of them would be knackered early on in life but this is the second really good one I've seen in a month thats going to end up in the bin. Givin the times we are in and the fact that the country doesnt seem to have 2 pennys to rub together does anybody else agree with me that this is complete and utter madness. Its not the point of how much its worth but more the fact of how long a serviceable life this van would have had left plus how much is it gonna cost the state to replace all these good vans going on the scrap heap. CRAZY. Industries going bust by the day and the complete waste by the civil servants continues :mad:

Could very well be scrap, I say those vehicles are abused no end. Also I would'nt imagine there is any great accountability when it comes to treating the vehicles with a degree of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Only 40,000 miles on a '02? Didn't get a hell of a lot of work........i'd have thought that an An Post van should be clocking that mileage up after 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Could very well be scrap, I say those vehicles are abused no end. Also I would'nt imagine there is any great accountability when it comes to treating the vehicles with a degree of respect.

I've seen plenty go to the scrap that deserve to be but these 2 , I just cant describe how good they are. Like in fairness its gonna cost 15 grand to repalce each one. Multiply that by a minimum of 2 per county ( there will be plenty more than that ) and you have a bill just short of 800,000 grand. We're talking about a tiny percentage of vans from one Government dept and look at the waste. How much of that money could be used to pay someone to inspect them instead and decide that it doesnt need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Maybe it's gone round the clock, and is showing 40k on top of whatever the maximum mileage is?

• Advertisement

Nforce wrote: »
    Only 40,000 miles on a '02? Didn't get a hell of a lot of work........i'd have thought that an An Post van should be clocking that mileage up after 6 months.

If it's just short hops around town i.e stop/start driving for seven years with many different drivers, one might be better of buying a similar van with 200k mls of motorway use.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I've seen plenty go to the scrap that deserve to be but these 2 , I just cant describe how good they are. Like in fairness its gonna cost 15 grand to repalce each one. Multiply that by a minimum of 2 per county ( there will be plenty more than that ) and you have a bill just short of 800,000 grand. We're talking about a tiny percentage of vans from one Government dept and look at the waste. How much of that money could be used to pay someone to inspect them instead and decide that it doesnt need replacing.

So they are in good condition? Such waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh why did we tell Saab Ed it was going to be put down?
    Now he'll be inconsolable all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I remember reading something recently about this. Apparently An Post no longer sell on their old vehicles for fear of being sued if a fault is later uncovered which led to an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Do they lease or buy their vehicles? Is it An Post scrapping them or a lease company?

Even if it's 40k of city driving being thrashed there will still be a lot of life left in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps the breakers will take the good parts left and sell them on/back.
    Quite a lucrative business if that's the case.

What a waste....Blanket decision made by some faceless civil servant who couldnt care less. Imagine he/she had to get up of their lazy deriere and make a real decision. Total waste....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

EPM wrote: »
    Do they lease or buy their vehicles? Is it An Post scrapping them or a lease company?

Even if it's 40k of city driving being thrashed there will still be a lot of life left in it

Think they buy em outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I know a van rental compamy taht buys An Post vans that are being changed and hires them out so maybe thats what happens most of them.

No they're all scrapped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

They both buy and lease them. These ones could be leased??

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Is any one surprised? This is the same An Post that spends money like this...
    A SENIOR An Post manager has been awarded a bonus of €11,000 on top of his €95,000 salary, even though he only worked for 11 weeks of last year.

The manager was assigned to An Post's 'resource centre' in January 2007, an area known by post office employees as the "rubber room", where staff who are "surplus" to the company's needs are deployed.

The centre was dubbed the "rubber room" because "people were banging their heads off the walls because they were doing nothing", a union representative said.

General secretary of the Communications Workers Union Steve Fitzpatrick said the resource centre was a "waste of money" because managers had little to do but were assigned there following a restructuring of the company.

40k on any vehicle is nothing. I would expect vans to age less than passenger cars as they have less things to go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As the former owner of 2 ex An Post vans this news saddens me. :(

I had a 88 Opel Corsa van that served me for 5 years after the post office sold her to me. She was a good van. Got 7 years out of the 92 Corsa diesel van. Happy days. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

what are the most popular vans they use would it be the peugeot partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

I,ve seen a load of them in molloy,s metal asked about buying one and was told that they have to be scraped and are not allowed to go back on the road such a shame :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Most unusual, state vehicles aren't usually retired in one form or another until they are 10 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

This information is a few years old at this stage but here goes. My father used to work with P&T (as it was then) and sometime about 15/20 years ago they stopped selling on their vans. He inquired about buying his, and was told that it would not be possible. His van would go to the next guy, which was fair enough. Because he knew most of the guys in the area and their vans he enquired about buying "retired" vans but was told that when the vans reached the end of their serviceable life they were scrapped and their chassis cut to prevent them going back on the road.
    Through some loophole in the system, some found their way back with chassis welded back up again.
    The theory was that if P&T had decided that the vehicle was no longer serviceable then they were leaving themselves wide open to claims if they sold the vehicle on as roadworthy.
    As for maintenance, it was always fairly close to on time. When timesheets were returned they included the weekly mileage and when a service was due a notification came from on high to bring it to the approved garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Some of the vans are leased from a company I used to work for. The whole process had been going on for over a year by the time I left and still not 1 order had been placed at that time.

As part of the tender An Post gave in their requirements which were mainly that the service intervals were halved (10k or 6 months rather than 20k or a year) and any parts that should be replaced were replaced in half the time.

While the Van in the OP has probably spent it's whole life driving short distances, stopping, starting, stopping etc. it would have been maintained meticulously (sp?) and I can't believe they are scrapping rather than selling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

EPM wrote: »

they do usually, as no one wants to deal with them on a lease basis for a second time.., they absolutley murder the vans....

Advertisement