Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tablet. Best value, simple & basic requirements.

Options
  • 31-10-2014 10:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭

Hi :)

I am completely new when in comes to tablets in general and Android devices. I have an iPhone which I'm happy with but I'm looking to purchase a new Android tablet as I watch everything on my iPhone and I'd prefer to have that free 24/7 and use another device for leisure. There are some apps that Android has that Apple doesn't also that I'm particularly interested in, ones for streaming movies/sports, etc... My general use for it would be watching/streaming films/TV/Netflix, etc... and browsing in general. I'd probably look to invest in a cable too that would link it up to a TV so I could watch it through thr TV also.

So basically the best value android tablet ye could suggest for them simple requirements. ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm fairly new to this, thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it!

I like the look of that, €165 ain't bad either. I don't know much about tablets but from reading from that link it seems to be pretty good. Is that what you'd be going for in my situation? Any others worth a mention? I'm sure I could get one cheaper but might end up with a poor quality tablet.

A few people have mentioned this also; http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,839 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Although its a refurbished model this nexus 7 from Zavvi is a decent buy. Comes with a 12 month warranty which is peace of mind.

2 of the family here have bought these over the last year and never had an issue with them. In fact they think they're great for watching Youtube, streaming movies, used as part of the Sky Go set up etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Hi , thanks for the info. Can one have this tablet delivered to Ireland for the 165 euro inclusive ? Seems great value. Does one have to register with currys uk for delivery to Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

shawnee wrote: »
    Hi , thanks for the info. Can one have this tablet delivered to Ireland for the 165 euro inclusive ? Seems great value. Does one have to register with currys uk for delivery to Ireland ?

Yeah, you just set your address up as your Parcel Motel address in the checkout. SO they think theyre delivering to Antrim in UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Nook Hd+ is a great tablet for the money. No camera or GPS and you need to install Cyanogenmod to get the best out of them. But IMO, they are the best value out there at the moment. Here's a refurbished one for £75.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOOK-HD-9-16GB-TABLET-PC-EREADER-BARNES-NOBLE-ANDROID-1-5GHz-DC-WiFi-1080p-/181500402238?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item2a42445a3e

Yeah, you just set your address up as your Parcel Motel address in the checkout. SO they think theyre delivering to Antrim in UK.

I've gone through that process but they don't seem to be accepting my Irish mobile number. I've wrote it out both ways. e.g. 0871234567 and +353871234567.

No luck though, any ideas?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I've gone through that process but they don't seem to be accepting my Irish mobile number. I've wrote it out both ways. e.g. 0871234567 and +353871234567.

No luck though, any ideas?

Use the Parcel Motel phone number, the one from the North

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Use the Parcel Motel phone number, the one from the North

My man! :)

Stuck between this, the Tesco HUDL, Google Nexus 7 and a few others floating about. Can't decide :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

My man! :)

Stuck between this, the Tesco HUDL, Google Nexus 7 and a few others floating about. Can't decide :(

I can't fault the Nexus 7 either, I just feel the screen is the tiniest bit too small for enjoyable video watching. Otherwise the Nexus 7 is a superb piece of kit, I have a Nexus 10" which is the business.

The Lenovo is offering A LOT of features for the money though, has that extra inch of screen (doesnt sound a lot but screen surface area is far more) and great battery life.

The HUDL I wouldn't rank as highly, it is far less customisable for the average user than both the above, and will not receive the most instant updates.

Make sure the Nexus 7 is the 2013 version rather than 2012 though. The 2012 is far inferior to the Lenovo.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: Just realised the Lenovo has a micro-SD slot... that would be a deal breaker for me.

• Advertisement

I can't fault the Nexus 7 either, I just feel the screen is the tiniest bit too small for enjoyable video watching. Otherwise the Nexus 7 is a superb piece of kit, I have a Nexus 10" which is the business.

The Lenovo is offering A LOT of features for the money though, has that extra inch of screen (doesnt sound a lot but screen surface area is far more) and great battery life.

The HUDL I wouldn't rank as highly, it is far less customisable for the average user than both the above, and will not receive the most instant updates.

Make sure the Nexus 7 is the 2013 version rather than 2012 though. The 2012 is far inferior to the Lenovo.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: Just realised the Lenovo has a micro-SD slot... that would be a deal breaker for me.

That's more than enough help, thanks so much :) I'd be able to get a HDMI cable or other type cable to connect it to the TV for watching things like Netflix too then? Any you'd recommend or are they all the same? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

My son has the 2012 nexus 7. Its a good tablet, there are better out there but it does the job of what you want it for. From what ive heard the 2013 model is a much better buy.

as for streaming it to the tv, get a google chromecast. I think they about €38/39. Very good value for money. Just plug it into your hdmi socket on the tv, sync to your phone/tablet etc and away you go.
    netflix, youtube etc all work with it but Sky go doesnt.

.red. wrote: »
    My son has the 2012 nexus 7. Its a good tablet, there are better out there but it does the job of what you want it for. From what ive heard the 2013 model is a much better buy.

as for streaming it to the tv, get a google chromecast. I think they about €38/39. Very good value for money. Just plug it into your hdmi socket on the tv, sync to your phone/tablet etc and away you go.
    netflix, youtube etc all work with it but Sky go doesnt.

Thanks. Also, I have a basic tv in my college accommodation, no HDMI socket. What would I use for connecting the tablet with that?

Any other comments to add? Such a newbie to tabs :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks. Also, I have a basic tv in my college accommodation, no HDMI socket. What would I use for connecting the tablet with that?

Any other comments to add? Such a newbie to tabs :(:D

Im not sure you can connect without a hdmi. Does it have a VDI connection, the one with the 2 screws? You could connect a laptop up if it does but dont think you could hook a tablet up.

Advertisement