Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alcohol and racing

Options
  • 07-07-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Intresting topic.

How many people here would enjoy a couple of drinks at weekend or whenever and still do a bit of racing or maintain very good fitness. Be it beer or wine, at home or a trip to the pub on a Sunday.
    Would be intresting to hear peoples thoughts, tee total-ers can refrain from adding their six pence worth.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

A couple of drinks at a weekend is perfectly fine and studies have shown that casual alcohol consumption lowers the stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

disco1 wrote: »
    Intresting topic.

How many people here would enjoy a couple of drinks at weekend or whenever and still do a bit of racing or maintain very good fitness. Be it beer or wine, at home or a trip to the pub on a Sunday.
    Would be intresting to hear peoples thoughts, tee total-ers can refrain from adding their six pence worth.

Thanks.

' Interesting topic ( as long as you agree with me ) '

Sounds like the logic of a drunk.

Totally ruins motivation the next day for me. YMMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I don't see anything wrong with a few beers every so often, other than for me how it effects my sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Well I assumed a couple of drinks.. means... max two. Two drinks over the weekend or a saturday night are fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

disco1 wrote: »
    Intresting topic.

Thanks.

I don't cycle competitively but used to compete regularly in martial arts at quite a high level. No booze or crap food for two months before a big event was the way we used to do it. It's not so much the direct detrimental effects, as the weight and the fact if you're hungover or have had a very late night, you're liable to lose the next days training. Post event we'd go absolutely rasher for a week or so and then start again.

These days, my main beef with beer is weight, though I typically have the beers and just suffer badly on the hills as a result. I'm up about 10kg over the last 10 years, which I'd guess is also thanks to the beer. (Jeez this is depressing, where's my beer?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SummerRebel

A little bit of whiskey never hurt anyone, especially after a though stage in the Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I work and train hard ..... I deserve a few beers at the weekend!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so people don't cycle specifically to compensate for the beer they're drinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Intresting..

I work shift some times 8 or 9 days in a row . When it comes to my days off I usually think about beer and cycling.
    If I was having a few beers I'd have maybe 4 , this does make me tired next day for heading out on a bike, or course you could head out on a bike then have a drink that night but then again tiredness gets you the following day.
    How would 4 drinks affect fitness in one week if you eat good but at the same time are putting in perhaps 50 hours working.

Hard to get the balance right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Oddly enough I drink alot less since I stopped racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

I'd drink maybe 4-6 bottles of beer a week, in fact I'm sipping one right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Well I assumed a couple of drinks.. means... max two. Two drinks over the weekend or a saturday night are fine.
    you're here long enough to know better than that! :)

Beer is circa 95% water, a vital rehydration source after racing or training. And the other 5% counteracts the adrenaline, and is largely carbohydrate, so win win win.

Although to be fair, from the thread title I thought you were talking about having a couple of beers BEFORE a race. Like after sign on. Probably explains a large chunk of A4 behaviour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I don't race but I do a lot of cycling and alcohol.

Not sure what reply should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Studies have shown that alcohol after a hard training session is ideal for recovery. I usually have a bottle then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

My sig says it all.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've often raced to the off license before it closes at ten just to work up a thirst.

Then next morning I'm like 'Dammit Lenny you'd better sweat out those beers you had last night' & race everyone on the Malahide Road in the AM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yep, track mainly. Train 5 days a week depending on what I'm doing and race at least one day per week. Don't drink every week, but take my jar o brandy out every couple of weeks in summer, every week in winter. I don't drink as often as I used to, but I reckon that's just an age + accumulation of sense and inability to be totally fine the next day. But a few drinks does me no harm anyway. To each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I've often raced to the off license before it closes at ten just to work up a thirst.

Then next morning I'm like 'Dammit Lenny you'd better sweat out those beers you had last night' & race everyone on the Malahide Road in the AM.

Then I say "How the hell did you get in here, and how do you know I had beers last night?"

I tried alcohol and racing once, but I kept spilling it when sprinting.

Although it is a great recovery drink. I like to recover.

I do find that if I drink alcohol there isnt a hope of me getting on the bike the next day, so I have started taking the odd N/A beer, which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I guess it depends on how serious you are about racing.

Alcohol can affect your sleep, and mean you're playing catch up during the week on lost sleep. Can also affect your weight as not only are there empty calories in the alcohol, it can also cause you eat more, usually bad carbs/fats by changing your appetite.

I would imagine that in road racing, people would limit alcohol until the end of the season? (if there is such a thing!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Radler should be your new friend...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy#Radler

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Actually, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Drinking doesn't really fit with Racing for me. Mostly because it disrupts my sleep. And because I'm old (45) it takes me longer to recover.

Night before a league race - never
    Night before training - rarely
    Coming up to an open race - usually no alcohol for at least a week, usually longer.

After a race - 'Beer is wonderful, give me bucket' (falls asleep after 1)

I do like Bavaria N/A. Radler is too sweet.

My other half thinks I'm a dry ****e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Somehow the more I race and/or train the less alcohol my body can tolerate. If I would drink a pint of any odd beer right now I'd feel very tipsy and would have a massive hangover the next day. That of course would impact my racing performance and/or training plan. While up to about high tempo intensity is somewhat tolerable going towards threshold or VO2max becomes impossible to do.

During the winter months when intensity of training is low or non-existant then it would take 3-4 pints to get me to that same tipsy stage.

Now ice cream is a completely different story. During the racing season I can eat tons of that stuff and the more I race and train the more I eat it. Helps with keeping the weight loss in check and it's sooo tasty. I don't crave it in the winter much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The question is does cycling get in the way of drinking alcohol or does alcohol get in the way of cycling ?? The answer is neither ... simply put your beer in your water bottles and problem solved, you can do both ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Yes it seems it makes training harder and racing much much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

I ride single speed MTB events.
    We drink before, during and after a race; but it's okay 'cause its a level playing field.
    It's the cheats that slyly don't drink!!
    With regular events etc I find it curtails my natural awesomeness giving other lesser riders a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

daragh_ wrote: »
    Drinking doesn't really fit with Racing for me. Mostly because it disrupts my sleep. And because I'm old (45) it takes me longer to recover.

Night before a league race - never
    Night before training - rarely
    Coming up to an open race - usually no alcohol for at least a week, usually longer.

After a race - 'Beer is wonderful, give me bucket' (falls asleep after 1)

I do like Bavaria N/A. Radler is too sweet.

My other half thinks I'm a dry ****e :D
    erdinger unleaded is probably the only unleaded beer that actually tastes like real beer IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I find a decent or even hard spin is a great way blow off any cobwebs. But hangovers wreck training and I can't race after a couple of beers. So, I find racing a fairly good way to temper my enthusiasm for trying every crafty ale in the crafty beer shop.

Advertisement