Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France betting **Please use spoiler tags before midnight**

Options
  • 02-07-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

24 hour drug testing, cobbles, thunder and lightening expected, the first week is bound to throw up a few surprises. Here were some bets I made over the past month in advance of the start

Green Jersey - John Degenkolb 33/1 (now 12/1)
    With Kittel's form all over the place, Degs was always overpriced to lead the team. Reports are that he's gunning for stages 4 and 5 and will take it from there

White Jersey - Thibaut Pinot 6/1
    Quintana will take some stopping if he gets to Week 2 and 3 without incident but cobbles and crosswinds might scupper chances earlydoors. Pinot improves year on year and has taken two major Queen stages in the two feeder races in May and June against the best riders.

Polka Dot Jersey - Romian Bardet 33/1
    He can climb, he's got attacking verve and he looks in better shape than last year. He was unlucky not to podium in the Dauphine. He looks like a Virenque in waiting. So many climbs this year, he should be thereabouts

Yellow Jersey - Van Garderen 40/1; Pinot 33/1
    TJ is ultra consistent on the big climbs this year, something he was lacking before, very unlucky to get done by Froome in the Dauphine, it's hard to see why he's 40/1 when Froome is 2/1. I don't think he can win in a straight shoot out between the big boys but he comes here in form and fresh with no crashes (he had broken bones only 8 weeks before last year's Tour)
    Pinot looks set to improve again and the more mountains the better. Can't see him outside Top 5 and with luck he'll pick up a few stragglers in Week 3

Stage 1 - Michal Kwiatkowski 33/1 (now 16/1)
    Just because he hasn't done one in a while doesn't mean he cannot prologue. Kwiatkowski has one of the biggest engines on flat course. He's beaten Martin and Dumoulin over similiar length and terrain so I've no idea why he's this price. He's the likeliest to move into Yellow after Stage 3 Mur du Huy (Top 5 in 2 of last 3 years)

Kwiatkowski for Yellow Anytime 7/2 Paddy Power - A good prologue on Stage 1, a good climb up the Mur on Stage 3 and a repeat of his cobbles effort last year on Stage 4 and Kwiatkowski should be sniffing in or around the Yellow Jersey in the first week.

MatchBet
    Valverde 15/8 to beat Purito Rodriguez - in supporting Quintana (and I use that term lightly) Valverde shoudl be thereabouts going into Week 3. Rodrgiuez needs to come on a bit more although he looked good in April but awful in the Dauphine. Thought the price was too big

TOP 20 Bet - Dan Martin 4/6 - I think if Dan stays safe this is a shoo in. One of my bigger bets this year. He's 4/1 to finish TOP 10 which is touch and go for me. I can name 7 or 8 that I think will be better than him so he's vying for between 9th and 15th position with a standardly consistent Tour.

Any other thoughts folks ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

where did you see betting on the top 20 finish?

I was thinking about Steven Kruijswijk for a top 10. He's 14/1 on pp. Might opt for a top 20 instead if the odds looked decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

bren_mc wrote: »
    where did you see betting on the top 20 finish?

I was thinking about Steven Kruijswijk for a top 10. He's 14/1 on pp. Might opt for a top 20 instead if the odds looked decent.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/tour-de-france-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=276524

Wouldn't be flying into the Dutch lad. He had a good Giro but he's not one to repeat based on past showing here. i'd have him finishing behind Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Guy at work here has Sam Bennett to win stage 2, he says he has him at 66/1. He also said he was at 50/1 yesterday.

I just checked PP and he is now at 25/1.

I don't see it happening for Bennett. Sick for the past few weeks and that Stage 2 finish is 4 kilometres of straight windswept road onto the island. If they are altogether, and that's far from a definite as the weather is forecasted to be changeable on Sunday with thunder storms, there is the likely Netherland's cross winds coming from the west, team trains of Lotto and Etixx should do their stuff to pit Greipel v Cav with Kristoff/Sagan most likely to round out the Top 3. Pure power finish not Sam's finish at all

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

Went for a Specialized victory.
    And....Majka to win polka dot. :o

• Advertisement

my second choice for KOM !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

OP what does 24 hour drug testing mean?
    In 2006 Floyd Landis was tested but the drug result was announced a few days after Paris. I missed an €11k payout on Oscar Pereiro Sio.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Guy at work here has Sam Bennett to win stage 2, he says he has him at 66/1. He also said he was at 50/1 yesterday.

I just checked PP and he is now at 25/1.

I got him at 66/1 and can already cash out for a 25% profit..Very tempted.

do it ! stage has Cav from a long lead out written all over it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do a partial cash out - if they don's allow that, cash it all out and put your "profit" back on Sam - that way you have gained a free bet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Actually the odds just shifted again, Bennett's gone from 25/1 to 40/1. Classic Paddy Power troll :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That may be why Sam is still at 40/1 - he's an outside chance, but a chance nonetheless (just look at what happened to Cav last year!)

the new Paddy Power trader is actually a shrewd enough judge of cycling. He's as good as the BET365 trader. 40s is about right

of course, anything can happen but there'll be a lot of sentimental folk crying into their empty purses if relying on what might happen

of course, anything can happen but there'll be a lot of sentimental folk crying into their empty purses if relying on what might happen

I'm definitely guilty of betting in hope more than expectation a lot of the time, but I bet for fun rather than to make money exactly.

With that in mind, here's my bets as it stands -

Dan Martin top 20 - 8/15
    Rigerto Uran top 10 - 5/1
    Nico Roche top 10 - 50/1
    Hesjedal top 10 - 7/1
    Froome/Contador vs. The Field - 4/5
    Degenkolb to win Green jersey - 18/1
    Bardet to win White jersey - 7/1
    Bennett to win Stage 2 - 66/1 e/w
    Froome to win GC - 2/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I see Dan Martin is only at 6/1 to win Stage 3.
    He seems to fancy his chances.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/news/dan-martin-tours-climb-up-the-mur-a-chance-at-redemption_374901

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

What do you think of the match betting on Paddy Power during each stage of TDF?

Stage 1
    eg: D.Martin 1/2 v S.Kruijswijk 6/4

Also I can't see C.Froome not winning the Tdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Contador to win at 5.00
    Kristoff for the green at 4.33
    Rui Costa vs rolland at 2.1, can see rolland losing a heap of time and going after polka dot while Costa will stay in and around top 15

What do you think of the match betting on Paddy Power during each stage of TDF?

Stage 1
    eg: D.Martin 1/2 v S.Kruijswijk 6/4

Also I can't see C.Froome not winning the Tdf.

same Froome who slipped and slided through the first week

rain is due next week according to Sepp Vanmarcke

Winter is coming according to Jon Snow

that match bet above is a hiding to nothing. neither can time trial effectively and 1/2 is no sort of bet on Dan Martin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Contador for yellow at 4/1 and Cavendish for green at 5/1.

Still trying to make my mind up about the polka for jersey, too many wild cards.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »

Still trying to make my mind up about the polka for jersey, too many wild cards.

I would consider Arredondo but it's a really hard to predict market. Rodriguez at 13/1 looks good too.

almost certain these two bets are dead already

Cavendish to win green is still there on PP, gogo!

What are the chances the PP traders are reading all Taxuser1's posts with close attention :D

there's no mole after squeezing through yet :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Nibali yellow 5/1
    Dekenkolb green 22/1
    Pinot white 9/2
    Tejay yellow e/w 40/1

Also have a little accum of 6 match bets (inc Froome to beat Quintana and Nibali to beat Contador)

I would consider Arredondo but it's a really hard to predict market. Rodriguez at 13/1 looks good too.

The wee man, Arrendondo, was at the front of my mind alright. Do Trek have anything else to ride for?

Rodriguez is too dangerous on GC to get away in breaks and take points. That seems to be the only way to win the polka for jersey these days. Can't remember the last time someone I the top 10 won it.

they/them/theirs

Why so?

With the change in the points system it suits the fast finishers with the sprint trains over the guys who pick up places and intermediate bonifications.

they/them/theirs

Why so?

With the change in the points system it suits the fast finishers with the sprint trains over the guys who pick up places and intermediate bonifications.

I thought he meant that those odds are gone but I could be wrong..

I thought he meant that those odds are gone but I could be wrong..

A "dead bet" means it's lost, in gambling parlance. Maybe he's not using gambling parlance I suppose.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

A "dead bet" means it's lost, in gambling parlance. Maybe he's not using gambling parlance I suppose.

Oh ok, I'm not familiar with that. I thought it was a fairly decent bet, now that Etixx are backing him.

Advertisement