Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTA in Fairview (Howth Road Jn)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It is totally relevant.
    The point being that such cycle paths are totally useless if cyclists aren't using them.
    If planning, work and money went into them and they are not being used, this needed to be questioned.
    Clearly they are not fit for purpose.
    Having cycled a lot around Europe, our cycle paths are a joke.

I'm not saying cyclists shouldn't have been on the road - of course we have every right, but the cycle paths are there to provide a dedicated, and presumably safer route, for cyclists.

Our cycle lanes are a discrace and the 1M extending from the path on roads without cycle lanes are even worse but A cycle lane can not stop a car from breaking a red light at speed(for example).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It is totally relevant.
    jon1981 wrote: »
    Sorry it's not relevant.
    Our cycle lanes are a discrace and the 1M extending from the path on roads without cycle lanes are even worse but A cycle lane can not stop a car from breaking a red light at speed(for example).
    Can we leave this "discussion" here. A poor man has lost his life and this thread should be about expressing condolences, not discussing (or indeed speculating over) the underlying facts - that is for the relevant authorities to determine

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ETA: cross posting with Beasty

Condolences to the riders family and friends, tragic, horrific situation. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

RIP. Very sad news.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Very sad news, very frightening too as I also use that junction on my morning/evening commute to and from work.

The poor man, what a horrible death. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

skallywag wrote: »

What exactly are you tired of? Cyclists being killed by hit & run drivers?

Yes. And the fact that we are governed in a way that a responsible decision to opt to cycle means you are left facing a lottery as to whether this happens to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

a148pro wrote: »
    Yes. And the fact that we are governed in a way that a responsible decision to opt to cycle means you are left facing a lottery as to whether this happens to you.

There are a lot of cyclists in Dublin, the vast majority get from A to B safely. Accidents such as this although terrible are very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Very sad, a road/junction I frequent fairly often.

RIP

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

<snip>

R.I.P. to that cyclist last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

RIP. I both drive and cycle that way all the time. And I never fail to notice the memorial flowers somebody always leaves at Fairview park. One of my best friends had a cousin who was victim of a hit and run at that very same location in the 80s on his first day on his very first motorbike at the age of 20. And like this case the cowardly driver just kept going. The case is still unsolved. I am hoping that since then we have more cameras around. The petrol station slightly further up the Howth road might have noticed this car on its cameras.
    <snip>
    The behavior I witnessed as a driver really raised my awareness of cycle safety when I cycle. Somewhere a family is mourning and a coward is sweating. I hope they get the justice they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

A few months ago I was stopped at the lights there on the Malahide road junction and Griffith avenue on my bike waiting for the Green light as you do. I noticed a car with a few lads in it driving erratically and aggressively turning from Griffith Avenue onto Malahide road.

I continued to look at them as they rev'd in the middle of the junction trying to turn, i noticed but not 100% sure a large can in the hand of the driver , which looked like a can of bulmers, the driver made eye contact with me and there was definitely an "I've been caught" look in his eye as he sped down the road.

I haven't forgotten that incident and I feel guilty for not calling the gardai despite not being 100% sure that they were drinking alcohol.

And now reading this story about this poor guy I feel more guilty, In my head I'm now thinking, was it these guys? Obviously I'm not suggesting it was. Could this have been prevented? If more people were proactive in reporting suspicious driving or people would this have happened?

I guess the lesson for me is to report anything behaviour you think will harm another person. We all have responsibility here to ensure we keep our roads safe and free of these animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Sad news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RIP to the deceased and condolences to his family/friends. I use that junction several times per week.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Gardai were at the location again this evening asking motorists if they had seen anything. I asked if they had found the driver yet but they still hadn't at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Effects wrote: »
    Gardai were at the location again this evening asking motorists if they had seen anything. I asked if they had found the driver yet but they still hadn't at that point.

Hopefully they'll have decent enough footage of the car or individuals to publish on Crimewatch when/if they decide to air it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts deleted

Please see my prior warning and leave it to the relevant authorities to determine the facts/cause/fault

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Disgrace...hope he gets what he deserves if he is guilty...

Disgrace...hope he gets what he deserves if he is guilty...
    We do not know if he's guilty and now legal proceedings are commencing I'm closing this thread as this sort of post only encourages others to speculate

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement