Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTA in Fairview (Howth Road Jn)

Options
  • 30-06-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Saw an absolutely mangled bike (both wheels and the frame all twisted) and what looked like a bit of bumper on the road just at the junction of the Howth Road and Fairview.

I think I heard a Garda tell someone "someone won't see their family again".
    It doesn't look good for the cyclist :(

*Hoping they pull through*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I came across that just before the emergency services arrived. There was a big crowd of pedestrians and cyclists stopped so I just kept going. The injured cyclist was lying on the road near the traffic island with a blanket over him/her. Hope it wasn't as bad as it looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Passed the same just now, chill down the spine. Hopefully all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

I was on the scene, the cyclist looked to be breathing when the ambulance arrived to take over from the fire brigade, but looked to have serious head injuries. Hope he is ok. cant get the picture of him lying in the middle of the yellow box out of my head. Fair play to other cyclists and pedestrians who came to his aid and put towels on his wounds etc.
    <snip> I can't stop thinking of it now tbh. Fingers crossed the man pulls through

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a number of posts. Do not speculate over cause and/or fault. In addition, please do not speculate over the condition or identity of the cyclist involved

Any questions PM me - do not respond to mod instructions in-thread

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

wadefuq wrote: »
    I was on the scene, the cyclist looked to be breathing when the ambulance arrived to take over from the fire brigade, but looked to have serious head injuries. Hope he is ok. cant get the picture of him lying in the middle of the yellow box out of my head. Fair play to other cyclists and pedestrians who came to his aid and put towels on his wounds etc.
    <snip> I can't stop thinking of it now tbh. Fingers crossed the man pulls through

This is awful, I'm sorry you had to witness this and I hope he pulls through

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Just heard in the news that the cyclist has died and they are looking for the driver as it was a hit and run.
    I passed it myself yesterday evening cycling into town. Really made me think about how dangerous cycling can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

wadefuq wrote: »
    I was on the scene, the cyclist looked to be breathing when the ambulance arrived to take over from the fire brigade,

I'm Dublin they're one and the same so they would have been in the same care before the ambulance arrived.

Edit, just heard it was a hit and run and the cyclist has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

May he RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tragic news, very sad, R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

That spot is on my daily commute, scary stuff.

Be careful out there folks.

And may that cyclist RIP

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I hope they get the guys that did it. An awful thing made worse by the hit and run aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Anyone who seen anything can you please contact garda in Clontarf. You never know what will help. RIP

Gardaí are appealing for anyone who saw a car matching the description, with an 05-D registration, in the vicinity of Fairview, Clontarf Road and Marino area between 6.15pm and 6.45pm to contact Clontarf Garda Station 01-6664800, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

http://www.thejournal.ie/clontarf-road-hit-and-run-cyclist-golf-2190861-Jul2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

fillup wrote: »
    That spot is on my daily commute, scary stuff.

Be careful out there folks.

And may that cyclist RIP

Same here, but I'm on the cycle path (coming from the coast). I only rarely cycle on the road around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Rip

I'm ****ing tired of this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Running away is like twisting the knife afterwards, the full extent of the law must come down on these worthless scumbags!

I cycle that stretch of road everyday and it's horrifying to think that this could happen to anyone, no matter how careful you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

It is indeed very sad, my thoughts are with the dead man's family & friends.
    a148pro wrote: »

What exactly are you tired of? Cyclists being killed by hit & run drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Passed by the scene yesterday. Knew it didn't look good from what I saw :(
    The cyclists mustn't have been using the cycle lane that was available on that side.
    Not that I put any blame on the cyclist, as it's usually full of joggers / dog walkers anyway along that footpath and I'd probably do the same.
    Poor man and poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

RIP, hopefully justice will be served, leaving the scene of an accident - what a coward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Thoughts are with the man's family and friends. It's heartbreaking. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Awful and it seems more real when it is so close to home. May the poor man rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Passed by the scene yesterday. Knew it didn't look good from what I saw :(
    The cyclists mustn't have been using the cycle lane that was available on that side.
    Not that I put any blame on the cyclist, as it's usually full of joggers / dog walkers anyway along that footpath and I'd probably do the same.
    Poor man and poor family.

Absolutely irrelevant.

RIP.

All, please take care out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Howth was absolutely brimming with cyclists, walkers, joggers and people getting out-and-about in general yesterday. The weather was just great to get out there. The large majority of drivers I came across were being very respectful towards individuals & groups.

Absolutely gutted this has happened. To think this could happen to any of us sends shivers down my spine. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

RIP

May the person responsible for this heinous crime be brought to justice, although no amount of penalty points, fines and jail time will bring back what is lost to this man's family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RIP. very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Horrible thing to do to anyone. Hopefully the driver will hand himself over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

snollup wrote: »
    Absolutely irrelevant.

RIP.

All, please take care out there.

It is totally relevant.
    The point being that such cycle paths are totally useless if cyclists aren't using them.
    If planning, work and money went into them and they are not being used, this needed to be questioned.
    Clearly they are not fit for purpose.
    Having cycled a lot around Europe, our cycle paths are a joke.

I'm not saying cyclists shouldn't have been on the road - of course we have every right, but the cycle paths are there to provide a dedicated, and presumably safer route, for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I was on the cycle path out to Howth yesterday and there were at least 15-20 people walking in the cycle lane.

A group of lads kicking a ball beside it and the ball went into it just as I approached them.
    One of them entered and exited it without even looking. He was lucky I'd spotted him.

On days like that you can see why cyclists would choose the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It is totally relevant.
    The point being that such cycle paths are totally useless if cyclists aren't using them.
    If planning, work and money went into them and they are not being used, this needed to be questioned.
    Clearly they are not fit for purpose.
    Having cycled a lot around Europe, our cycle paths are a joke.

I'm not saying cyclists shouldn't have been on the road - of course we have every right, but the cycle paths are there to provide a dedicated, and presumably safer route, for cyclists.

Sorry it's not relevant. Let's not make an assumption here that it would have saved his life. For many reasons you leave the cycle lane... crossing the road, exiting at a turn off, bad quality ( you mentioned)...etc. We don't know why he was not in the cycle lane so let's leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

a148pro wrote: »
    Rip

Me too. Is there anything positive we can do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement