Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a Graduate Diploma in Journalism qualify for BTEA?

Options
  • 14-08-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

I know a non-education Masters (which it can progress to) doesn't but I'm unclear on whether it counts as an applicable higher diploma for BTEA.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 PaulRyan17

If the award of the course is a higher diploma and you are progressing in qualifications and also satisfy the period on social welfare you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

PaulRyan17 wrote: »
    If the award of the course is a higher diploma and you are progressing in qualifications and also satisfy the period on social welfare you should be ok

I am progressing, I graduated with a BA in English and History last year, and I satisfy the period requirement, or so I was told (It's a close shave there.) Just wasn't sure if it's a "Higher diploma" or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think there actually is a difference between a graduate diploma and higher diploma!

Edit:

It seems I'm wrong on that actually. I was thinking of a postgraduate diploma!

http://www.nuigalway.ie/careers/students/faq/postgrad.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Update: It doesn't qualify, I've been told, three weeks into my course. In case anyone ever has the same question.

I secured funding for the year from elsewhere, as I'm not completely stupid, but not an amount as beneficial as BTEA, enough to live on for a year. Enough that I'm in no immediate financial danger but thinking I would get BTEA did push me into doing the course when I was indecisive about it being a good idea.

Advertisement