Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or is Wheeler Dealers a waste of time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's a TV show! It's entertainment! If every show were to be 100% factual, they'd all be a waste of time. Most shows don't sell anything for any profit. Are they a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

kneemos wrote: »
    We should have an argument forum where people can argue about nothing in particular.

No we shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

We should have an argument forum where people can argue about nothing in particular.

No we shouldn't.

Anyhow, I can just about change a tyre so in man terms it means I'm qualified to tune in turn off and drop out for an hour.. with beer.

Its not like therell be an exam at the end of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    No we shouldn't.

Anyhow, I can just about change a tyre so in man terms it means I'm qualified to tune in turn off and drop out for an hour.. with beer.

Its not like therell be an exam at the end of the show.

I'm guessing it took you longer than 3 minutes to post that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Geniass wrote: »
    I'm talking about this show...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler_Dealers

Where Ed does hundreds of pounds of work for "free" for the purposes of the show.

This is highly unlikely to happen in real life.

It's a show, I get that, but the term profit at the end is disingenuous.

Jesus, you're really struggling with this. The show is there to make money as a tv show (in that regard the content is irrelevant so we can separate the show and the work)show you what you can do yourself. Do you really think you'd benefit from being spoon fed? "Well if Edd charged us his hourly rate we'd only make €5 profit, but seeing as thats not the point of the ****ign show, we'll show you the profit you'd make if you did this yourself"

The show your looking for is the Garage or something similar where its a working business and shows customers getting jobs done and getting charged for it.

• Advertisement

Jesus, you're really struggling with this. The show is there to make money an show you what you can do yourself. Do you really think you'd benefit from being spoon fed? "Well if Edd charged us his hourly rate we'd only make €5 profit, but seeing as thats not the point of the ****ign show, we'll show you the profit you'd make if you did this yourself"

Calm down, you'd swear you were producing the show.

But, you're still wrong...

The show your looking for is the Garage or something similar where its a working business and shows customers getting jobs done and getting charged for it.

I like the show, I just dislike that bit.

But, you're still wrong...

No, no im not. You're missing the whole point of it.

As a tv show it may as well be a cooking show. That is separate to showing how you can make a few quid doing up cars

No, no im not. You're missing the whole point of it.

Okay then.

I like the show, I just dislike that bit.

Make a show yourself so. Call yourself Tedd and stick a wig on. As long as you dont also work as a mechanic other days you can count anything you make as profit. If you do, well then ring revenue and send them a cheque for income tax, pay some PRSI and USC for the time you're working cos apparently a mechanic is like a Gard, never off duty.

• Advertisement

Make a show yourself so.

I've already worked on a TV show.

Thats great.

Did you add labour?

Did you add labour?

Are you just randomly tapping keys on your keyboard? You're not making any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Was it Top Gear? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Like the show but always bugs me they end up with about 500 quid profit after all the work done.........and the recent episode in the States, lets have some vintage American muscle car not some poxy little BMW :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ed China works for free

Was it Top Gear? :pac:

Well, I'm glad I'm not in punching distance of Guy, if that's what you mean.
    sonofenoch wrote: »
    Like the show but always bugs me they end up with about 500 quid profit after all the work done

You just don't get it ;)

Ed China works for free

Really, the TV company doesn't pay him anything?

Of course he gets paid. Of course your garage buddy isn't going to go on a bus man's holiday and work on your car for free.

Of course he gets paid. Of course you're garage buddy isn't going to go on a bus man's holiday and work on your car.

That wouldn't be a diy restoration if your getting , and paying someone to restore the car. Thats just being a car salesman.

Its a simple premise that you making hugely complicated ny seemingly being incapable of separating it being a tv show from the message its delivering.

That wouldn't be a diy restoration if your getting , and paying someone to restore the car. Thats just being a car salesman.

Its a simple premise that you making hugely complicated ny seemingly being incapable of separating it being a tv show from the message its delivering.

If Ed was doing the whole thing then yeah. But, it's Mike at the end of the show going, whoopee, profit. :rolleyes:

I don't understand how you don't get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Well, I'm glad I'm not in punching distance of Guy, if that's what you mean.

You just don't get it ;)

I do actually, the premise of the show is about popularity and that's how it makes money........but yer man Brewer doesn't half emphasize the "profit" bit on the car at end when there is usually very little....aswell as that I reckon they massively undersell them most times

If Ed was doing the whole thing then yeah. But, it's Mike at the end of the show going, whoopee, profit. :rolleyes:

What am I not getting. The show is a tv show version of you at home doing it yourself.You seem insistant on looking at it as a tv show, despite me saying over and over to seperate the 2 elements. The TV show is frontage, thee to make money from selling the show and advertising. From that regard it could be a show about anything,the content is irrelevant.

Now we get to the content. From a "I can do this at home" pov the show bit above is completely forgotten about. You, at home restoring a car on your own and selling it are Mike and Edd in one. The fact that you are represented by 2 people in the show means nothing. You're doing both jobs and not charging for either. So profit. Simples (well you'd think so ,but you know, some people........)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Oh my god, it was called 'Sick on a Widow', wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The show is a demonstration of what a DIY'er could do,hence the "whoopee profit".

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Oh my god, it was called 'Sick on a Widow', wasn't it?

Not going to click that - never heard of it.

The show is a demonstration of what a DIY'er could do,hence the "whoopee profit".

Only if the "Mike" could get a highly trained mechanic to work for free. How likely is that?

Ed China works for free

I'd pay Ed China to work on my car any day.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I do actually, the premise of the show is about popularity and that's how it makes money........but yer man Brewer doesn't half emphasize the "profit" bit on the car at end when there is usually very little....aswell as that I reckon they massively undersell them most times

If you're looking to make yourself a millionaire off a hobby , then buying and doing up cars isnt the place to do it. Study and play with stocks or something. This is about people who like cars taking on projects in their spare time and if you make a few quid for some pints, great.

But but but .....labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'd pay Ed China to work on my car any day.

so would i

never loses the head everything is so easy:D

Advertisement