Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disturbance from train noise

Options
  • 17-06-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Were looking into renovating an old cottage 150m from a railway line in the middle of the countryside between Tullamore and Portarlington.

How likely is it that we will be disturbed, in any way, by this line?

Thanks for your help,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Very likely at some stage especially at night if any maintenance work is going on plus the noise from the tampers can be a bit loud at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd say after a few weeks you'll rarely hear a thing, with the exception as above of occasional maintenance. Sounds like Trainspotters Heaven to me

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

I lived in estate that track ran outside my mothers house.i get use to it.we know Ennis train passing or years ago gypsium and Guinness were transported!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I lived in an apartment in ballyfermot right next to the triple line into heuston. You get used to it, soon you don't hear it. And there was a train every 5 minutes there! Anyway they stop at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Grew up in a house where the main Dublin, Cork-Limerick-Waterford-Galway-Westport-Kerry Line passed by mere meters from where I slept. You do get use to it but there is times where maintenance trains or whatever the hell it was/is would shake the house in the middle of the night twice a year from between 2am - 5am. Although quieter the new trains feel much heavier as everything shakes when they pass by. But at 150mts you wont experience this and as other posters stated will nearly forget you're near a railway , unless your're a trainspotter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

It will become backround noise.

I live about 500 metres from the Dublin - Galway Line and about 1km from the Dublin - Cork Line, I hear the trains and can tell the difference (I would) between them. But it isn't intrusive at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't notice it after a while, although if it stopped entirely you might notice that - my parents moved from a house backing on to the line to one where you could still hear the annoucements from the station (albeit a different station) and had difficulty sleeping for the first few weeks without the Guinness trains going past in the night! By all means use it as a bargaining piece on the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wife's parent live about 20m from the DART line in Shankill. Noise wasn't that big a deal but the whole house vibrated pretty badly.

Advertisement