Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MK3s spotted at Adelaide Depot

Options
  • 01-06-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

I was travelling up the North earlier today and I was stunned to see a set of Irish Rail MK3s sitting in the permanent way sidings at Adelaide Depot just outside Belfast.

From what I could see, the set included a generator van, a restaurant car and probably five passenger carriages. It appears to be the one which supposedly left North Wall for scrapping at Dundalk last month.

Any idea as to what it is doing there? While it might be for scrap, it seems odd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Would be great if they were going to dickey them up for the enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They will be scrapped there on site just like the 80 class were a few years back. Easier to scrap them in Belfast as all the ones scrapped in Dundalk ended up on the back of a truck on the M1 to Belfast. Makes sense to move the sets to Belfast if they are rail worthy, the ones in Dundalk had to scrapped on site as they were in worse condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Yep. They're gone now. I suppose it's too late to have Dick Fearn charged with the wanton destruction of state assets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The sooner they are gone the better. What's done is done. They are more liability than asset by this point.

Hearing reports that 224 is coupled up to another set of 7 Mk3s for Dundalk, due to run on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Deutschbahn

Irish Rail Mk3's 1 egv, 3 standard class and 2 restaurants and 224 passed on service from North Wall-Adelaide for scrapping. Video available here... youtubedotcom /watch?v=TGj2lw86f-U&list=UUFm_5VHDZ8uT01qmQdTWUSA

It was an EGV + 3 standards + 2 restaurants. Interest to see what loco takes them north on Sunday. Love to see a 111 haul them, could be the last time for a 111 to haul Mk3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deutschbahn

Oh yeah sorry forgot about the EGV :L .I hope a 111 would pull them north but it is sure very unlikely.

Anyone know if there was a Mk3 scrap run to Dundalk on Friday? I know nothing run up there on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anyone know if there was a Mk3 scrap run to Dundalk on Friday? I know nothing run up there on Thursday.

Two were moved from Waterford to Inchicore; thats all the moving things that I heard of.

• Advertisement

Two were moved from Waterford to Inchicore; thats all the moving things that I heard of.

Yeah saw that alright. I read that they were brake testing a set in Northwall on Thursday and the transfare did not run as planned that day.

Yeah saw that alright. I read that they were brake testing a set in Northwall on Thursday and the transfare did not run as planned that day.

I'll scoot down there later today and see if there's any left.

Now where's me bolt cutters and blow torch?:D

I'll scoot down there later today and see if there's any left.

Now where's me bolt cutters and blow torch?:D

You'd be surprised how easy it is to walk into Northwall yard, not condoning it or anything like it mind. There are a few places where you can just walk in, no walls, fences nothing. It's no wonder vandals were having a field day on the Mk3s over the past few years.

I don't think I'd be able to tell no if a set was taken out during the week as I have lost count of how many are there no. Had a good snoop around 2 weeks ago from a few different points.

I don't think I'd be able to tell no if a set was taken out during the week as I have lost count of how many are there no. Had a good snoop around 2 weeks ago from a few different points.

There was 5 sets down there today and one carriage standing on it's own. It had an eery feel to it, even in today's sun.

That EGV on it's own has been like that for about 2 weeks now. Wonder is it tagged for something like 7601 at Dundalk.

Advertisement