Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIR 80 class

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users Posts: 28,992 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

for me the sound of the english electric engine can't be beatin, hope one of the old girls is preserved but not holding out much hope for now

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

I saw the sandite train passing Sydenham station this afternoon. Or to be more accurate, I saw the exhaust before seeing the sandite train. Nice to hear that sound again as they woke me most mornings leaving Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

for me the sound of the english electric engine can't be beatin, hope one of the old girls is preserved but not holding out much hope for now

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,992 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why not?
    why not what? can the sound of the english electric engine not be beaten? well i don't know, i just love that sound. or are you wondering why i'm not holding out much hope at the moment for an 80 class to be preserved? i suppose because nothing has been confirmed so don't want to get my hopes up until we know for definite.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Lovely machines.
    Spent many hours on them around 1988-1989 when they worked Maynooth suburbans & the Greystones shuttle.
    Nothing like an 80 class running through Bray head No.4 on full power with your head out the window.
    Our world has become very dull indeed!

Thursday 05-Dec-13
    80 class units 94 & 69 on sandite duties today.
    Passed Marino at approx 1445 enrout to Bangor.
    Arrived back in Central P1 at 1555 & departed for Carrickfergus at 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

pardon my ignorance but what is a sandite train ?

Hi Kildarecommuter.
    Sandite is a jel like substance containing sand / aluminium filings thats applied to the rail head at certain times of the year to improve wheel / rail adhesion. If you are commuting in Kildare by rail you will see the light brown substance on the rails at the moment.
    The Sandite train applies the Sandite, IE have one in Kildare, Limerick Jcn & I think the MPV parked in Connolly is also equiped to put the stuff down

NIRS train works from York road - Portadown - Bangor - Carrickfergus - York road as far as Im aware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Lovely machines.
    Spent many hours on them around 1988-1989 when they worked Maynooth suburbans & the Greystones shuttle.
    Nothing like an 80 class running through Bray head No.4 on full power with your head out the window.
    Our world has become very dull indeed!

Very fond of the aul 80s. As well as Maynooth and Greystones runs they will live long in my memory doing the run to Derry in the days of going via Crumlin and Glenavy and on to the North Atlantic Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Miss the sound. I recall one time while racing model cars at Booterstown, one was approaching towards Booterstown station, could hear it coming but could not see it, and presumed it was a helicopter out in Dublin Bay :)

More from an audio perspective really.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

Hi all,

A couple of years ago there was a flurry of activity about saving an 80 Class on these pages.

It's actually happening now!

None of the old threads are still active, so starting a new one!

And after a lot of negotiation we've arranged with Translink to get two vehicles repainted - just in time before all the paint booths are taken up by the 3000 Class.

But it and transport is not cheap so we need YOUR help - felt someone should do "something" back in the day? Now you can! Donate here and have a stake in their restoration and return to passenger service at DCDR.

www.downrail.co.uk/80class

And follow the progress on our facebook page:

www.facebook.com/downrail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Hi all,

A couple of years ago there was a flurry of activity about saving an 80 Class on these pages.

It's actually happening now!

None of the old threads are still active, so starting a new one!

And after a lot of negotiation we've arranged with Translink to get two vehicles repainted - just in time before all the paint booths are taken up by the 3000 Class.

But it and transport is not cheap so we need YOUR help - felt someone should do "something" back in the day? Now you can! Donate here and have a stake in their restoration and return to passenger service at DCDR.

www.downrail.co.uk/80class

And follow the progress on our facebook page:

www.facebook.com/downrail

Excellent! Well, I've put my money down for it. Have seen the gleaming pictures of the 80 in the old Maroon and Red livery. Fine stuff altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Congratulations on saving an 80 class and I wish you well with the project. Sadly, as regards a donation that train left the station many years ago.

Advertisement