Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doc Morris loyalty program

Options
  • 04-08-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does anyone understand the new Doc Morris loyalty program? The brochure and online information is vague. I picked up the brochure because I'm unhappy with how much I'm spending on prescriptions and the incidentals I pick up when I buy prescriptions. If this is a program that will give me points for every Euro I spend and send vouchers to use in the store, I'm interested. But from the description I'm concerned that it's really a marketing program in disguise, and that after giving them all my information I'll just receive advertisments with discounts for specific products.

http://www.docmorris.ie/Unicare_PLUS/Default.1273.html

Is anyone using this program?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lariesen wrote: »
    from the description I'm concerned that it's really a marketing program in disguise

Well Doh!

8850-munch-the-scream-e1336013995741.jpg?w=300&h=233

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lariesen

Not so "Doh" for me. I just moved here and I don't always know how you folks do things. Thank goodness for boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

lariesen wrote: »
    Not so "Doh" for me. I just moved here and I don't always know how you folks do things. Thank goodness for boards.ie.

Where from? Saturn?

All loyalty programs are used for marketing, even if you opt out of all the direct stuff, the statistical data collected is still a very valuable commodity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lariesen

I'm from the US. A loyalty program means you make all your purchases with them (that airline or sandwich shop or drug store) and they eventually give you money off what you want to buy (plane tickets when you have enough miles, free sandwich after you've bought ten of them, or vouchers to spend in the drug store worth 1% or 2% of what you've spent there).

The loyalty card I got here for Tesco works like this.

They get your data, it's true, but you get something back.

A marketing program gets your demographic data and sends you advertisements and discounts for things you don't want.

The loyalty programs I use in the US are worthwhile. American Airlines can have all my demographic data. I'm using frequent-flyer miles to buy my son's ticket home from college in two weeks, at no cost to me.

I don't want to get into a fight with anybody, but from what I've seen so far, Irish retailers treat consumers really poorly. If this "loyalty" program doesn't pay you back something worthwhile, then it's a scam. They should not call it a loyalty program.

I'd really like to hear from someone who knows what their program is. I've been scolded enough for being stupid. Let's hear something helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I'm not sure how explaining to you how loyalty programs work was not helpful but from your description it works the same way as Tesco; vouchers are sent to you.

As for the service comment, you're in for a shock if you expect anything like the service levels you're used to in Ireland. Now the US can take it way too far, and Ireland has it's strengths when it comes to certain aspects of service, but my God, when it's bad it's terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've seen loyalty schemes in the US and some of them are miles ahead of what we have here. Retailers here like Boots offer good schemes.

What's not clear to me about the Doc Morris scheme is if prescription purchases qualify? AFAIK, prescription purchases don't count in Boots for points. I'd suggest getting the leaflet with T&Cs before signing up.

Advertisement