Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone repair issue..

Options
  • 01-08-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi , I'm hoping for some guidance here ,
    About 1 month ago my iPhone started to play up , nothing major just went back to the home screen every now and then.
    I brought it to a computer / iPhone repair shop and was told it shouldn't be a problem and should cost no more than €45 to sort out. Alls good so far !!
    A week went by and I rang them , they said they were working on it and its a little more trickier than they thought, he told me he would get in touch when it's sorted.
    Heard nothing for another week so I rang them again , he said he's getting another guy to look at it as he can't seem to fix it . I asked how much is this costing and his words were " when the other guy looks at it , he'll give me ring with a price before he starts to fix it to make sure I'm happy with the figure !!

Roll onto today when I still haven't heard a word from him , I call him to see what the story is he says that neither him or the other guy he got in to look at it can fix it so the iPhone is here in the shop for you to take. He's asked for €100 before I get the phone back to cover costs of trying to fix it.
    Anyone have opinions on this , I've no problem in paying for his time I just feel he's picked 100 quid out of the air and the fact that originally he quoted me €45 to repair it.
    Would you just hand over the money and still have the same problem with the phone or should I query it.
    He told me that I won't get my phone back until he's paid!! Up until now I've had no problem with this shop , I've left in laptops before no problem . I just have this niggling in my gut that he's trying to pull a fast one.. Suggestions would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hawkelady wrote: »
    Hi , I'm hoping for some guidance here ,
    About 1 month ago my iPhone started to play up , nothing major just went back to the home screen every now and then.
    I brought it to a computer / iPhone repair shop and was told it shouldn't be a problem and should cost no more than €45 to sort out. Alls good so far !!
    A week went by and I rang them , they said they were working on it and its a little more trickier than they thought, he told me he would get in touch when it's sorted.
    Heard nothing for another week so I rang them again , he said he's getting another guy to look at it as he can't seem to fix it . I asked how much is this costing and his words were " when the other guy looks at it , he'll give me ring with a price before he starts to fix it to make sure I'm happy with the figure !!

Roll onto today when I still haven't heard a word from him , I call him to see what the story is he says that neither him or the other guy he got in to look at it can fix it so the iPhone is here in the shop for you to take. He's asked for €100 before I get the phone back to cover costs of trying to fix it.
    Anyone have opinions on this , I've no problem in paying for his time I just feel he's picked 100 quid out of the air and the fact that originally he quoted me €45 to repair it.
    Would you just hand over the money and still have the same problem with the phone or should I query it.
    He told me that I won't get my phone back until he's paid!! Up until now I've had no problem with this shop , I've left in laptops before no problem . I just have this niggling in my gut that he's trying to pull a fast one.. Suggestions would be welcome

This cowboy has scuppered any chance you had of getting the handset repaired using any apple warranty or your statutory rights, I would get your phone back without paying a cent if at all possible, tell him you will be reporting him to the revenue and also take him to the small claims court for the cost of the phone if he refuses to give it back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

foggy_lad wrote: »
    tell him you will be reporting him to the revenue and also take him to the small claims court for the cost of the phone if he refuses to give it back to you.

Whats the revenue got to do with it?

SCC I understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Whats the revenue got to do with it?

SCC I understand...

SCC could be tricky too. Unless cash has changed hands for a specific service. OP certainly won't be able to claim the full price of a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nkdagg

I'd recommend to take your phone back without giving them ANY money.
    First of all, when you are going to a local computer/phone repair shop, I'd recommend to ask if a specifically qualified technician going to work on your phone ( In this case, Apple qualified technician). Just to make it clear, that they-re not wasting your time with chancing to fix it, and technician knows his stuff.
    In them small repair shops, you'd be lucky to get any sort of qualification proof at most of the times.

In this case technician clearly doesn't know what he does, I think it's just cheeky to ask you for 100 euros for no repair done. You wouldn't bring your car to a mechanic that would charge you for not being able to do his job, right?

I'm a part time technician in a similar repair shop, and I think it's just fair not to give business to places like that. I have an rough idea of how a lot of the repair places work, and I'd say their "trying to fix it" attempt took less than half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Thanks for the replies. So if for example I get a male friend to come in with me and when/if I get my hands on the phone , I proceed to walk out the door without giving him any money , can he call the guards ? In other words if I walk out without paying am I doing anything illegal or where I can be prosecuted ?? If he said a figure less than €20 I'd probably have paid tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hawkelady wrote: »

When you get your phone back, ensure you check it against another iPhone of the same model, in case the sh|tester has f**ked up your phone, and the €100 is for some part.

Advertisement