Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The least stressful job...

Options
  • 14-12-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be finished college soon and I've worked in a place in the field that was stressful as hell, I aged about 5 years in 6 months. Manic so it was.

Now I'm thinking of a 'career path' which has the least stress imaginable. The money (or lack thereof) doesn't matter.

So far I'm thinking:

Potatoe picking - back-breaking, exhausting but no real mental stress (except occupying your mind all day)

Flippin' burgers: American Beauty style, if a job in macdonalds/burger king had a fixed position of burger flipper it'd be okay but I'm sure burger flipping duties are rotated so yer on the frontline and toilet duty as well...

Psychologist: Requires another 4 years at least at college but once ye start getting clients, ye just have to try help them, again nobody really puttin pressure on you for deadlines etc.

Grass-Cutter: Forrest Gump style, this is the most appealling at the moment.

Can ye's think of any more? (No.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Pimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Potatoe picking - backbraking, exhausting but no real mental stress (except occupying your mind all day)

Enjoy having 11 months of the year off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Sperm donor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Bonsai tree strimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Any job in Government. Sure you don't even have to turn up half the time and still get paid even when you leave you still get paid more than 95% of the population until you die. You can't get arrested for anything either. Great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Internet troll. Assuming it pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Transponster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Any job can be stress free if you enjoy doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

nummnutts wrote: »
    Bonsai tree strimmer.

Is there a market for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Luas pilot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Defence Forces - Sit on your hole all day scratching your boll*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Is there a market for this?

There could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Luas pilot
    You've gone straight into Pighead's 'Notebook of potential and very real boards enemies'. The word 'Banter' in your name is setting off alarm bells.

On topic, President of Ireland. Breeze of a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Prozac tester

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Social welfare worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Psychologist: Requires another 4 years at least at college but once ye start getting clients, ye just have to try help them, again nobody really puttin pressure on you for deadlines etc.

Have you ever met any psychologists? They act calm, but are among the most wound up people out there. Just imagine the sh1t you hear.

Bar work is pretty stress free as long as you are someone who isn't wound up easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dietician.

What about an overnight radio DJ slot? Just spin records and say the odd few words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Bar work is pretty stress free as long as you are someone who isn't wound up easily.

:confused: And if not's busy at all, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

My coordination and balance have regressed to that of a toddler so I don't think that's an option, unless it was some crazy 'Toddlers serving your drink' gimicky bar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Social welfare worker.

my cousin does this, he has changed his mobile number twice in the last year and has put black-out tint on the windows of his car, he was so sick of being approached outside office hours.

Also, the sorry state of some people who arrive into his office every day needing assistance, had a significant bearing on his mental well-being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

civil servant

just sit around all day not using your brain once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Potato picking
    Labour intensive work should be compensated well enough for deterioration in physique up to 15 years before retirement. Thats unlikely to happen picking spuds. In the short term it would be fine.
    Flippin' burgers: American Beauty style
    All well and good until you have to do nightshifts at the weekend when all the drunks and junkies are shouting at you and you wonder if you might be actually working in a zoo.
    Psychologist
    They usually have to experience and successfully manage their own issues to be of any use to patients, as well as have proper training ( Masters upwards ). Prone to wishy washiness.
    Grass-Cutter
    A landscaping business would be something to aim for.
    Can ye's think of any more?

Possibly the best paying job with plenty of available work and relatively low levels of stress is software development. It helps to have a flair for science and maths, but creativity is also key. A certain amount of stress is good. Money is not that important until you have a family, so try and do something you enjoy. You can reasonably spend from age 18 to 30 figuring what that is without any impact on your later working years. Most jobs in Ireland in the future will be information related. Business Intelligence will be a big growth area.

Somebody mentioned civil servant. Having worked in some departments I think you would be better off in the private sector if you have any sort of ambition, unless you are educated enough to get to middle management and higher. The work in the lower paid ranks can be very tedious over long periods of time, although this might change as the civil service modernizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Pump attendant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

squod wrote: »
    Pimp.

I believe they're called 'companionaters' these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

squod wrote: »
    Pimp.

Hmm...i dunno, several academic studies have suggested that pimping is not easy.
    You also need to own a pimp hand.

Yeah but OP, any job where you can sthick the old mp3 headphones in and still do the task is a goer.
    Plus if its physical work you get a free workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Luas pilot

I'd say this gets a bit stressful in town like around Abbey Street, would love to do it but seems to be a closed shop like Dart driving, I think they took on a rake of staff when it opened and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭gifted

The boyo who stands in front of the formula one car with the brake/go lollypop when it comes in for a pitstop..what a number :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

A masseure for the ladies football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

dd972 wrote: »
    I'd say this gets a bit stressful in town like around Abbey Street, would love to do it but seems to be a closed shop like Dart driving, I think they took on a rake of staff when it opened and that was it.

Yeah I'd say it is a stressful job having to keep complete concentration at all times. AFAIK a private company run it, so it may be easier to get a job there than it is in Irish Rail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Yeah I'd say it is a stressful job having to keep complete concentration at all times. AFAIK a private company run it, so it may be easier to get a job there than it is in Irish Rail.

Tried for a job with Irish Rail, turned down as I was only the adopted son of an Irish Rail employee :rolleyes:

Advertisement