Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Review : 3.7 v mod from thebestshop.eu

• 02-08-2011 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Thought I might share an ecig review with you. I was asked to product test this mod by thebestshop.eu and to give an honest review good bad or indifferent. As Scott Bonner would say, I was was sent this sample for free and I have no business interest in the supplier.

So they sent me this 3.7 mod about 6 weeks ago and I have been using it pretty much non stop since then. I usually vape with a TECC Tornado or Screwdriver MkII and my next ecig will be the Provari ( just gotta save the dineros!)

Heres what I got in the pack:

- nice black case
    - main body
    - 4 end caps (4 types of connection including the 510)
    - one 2000mAh LiOn protected battery
    - Joye 510 atomizer (or Joye 510-T)
    - 5 empty 510 cartridge (or 5x 510-T tanks)
    - wall charger with US plug
    - wall adapter UK or EU

First impressions were that it is a really nice looking piece. Its lightweight chrome finish and variable connectors make it a great ecig for trying different bits with. I used it with 510T and got straight down to business. It produces plenty of vapour with RY4 (my tipple of choice!)and I have been genuinely impressed with the taste levels. It has consistently delivered the best flavour of any ecig I have owned or tried so far. Throat hit has been excellent. The chrome has not tarnished and its a very clean piece. In the past, I have found the Tornado leaks into the atomiser from time to time and you can get a build up of black gloop etc but this mod looks as clean as as the day i got it.

Battery life is very much as you would expect and I am getting about a day and half before charging is required. The charging is the only major negative for me. It comes with a charger and adaptor but I have found them to be a little fiddly from day one. The charger tends to hang a little loose from the adaptor so you have to double check that the battery is actually charging and adjust its "hang" from the adaptor. The supplier says this will be investigated further as it was one of the first things I flagged.

Anyway, basically its a very reliable and "smooth" vape and, for me, it is a recommended step up from the likes of the Ego / Tornado etc for the intermediate user. The Best Shop say they expect it to sell at about €45 for the lot I listed above.

I've attached a few photos too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

What are the 3 other connections?
    Is there an on off switch on it?
    Could ya post a picture in comparison to your Tornado if possible?

Was hoping thebestshop would stock some mods, struggling to get a few bob together and splash out on a Megalodon or similar meself so this could be a good budget one to get !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Count1

derra wrote: »
    Could ya post a picture in comparison to your Tornado if possible?

Was hoping thebestshop would stock some mods, struggling to get a few bob together and splash out on a Megalodon or similar meself so this could be a good budget one to get !

Just about to hit the bed for the night but I will take one beside the Tornado in the morning. This mod is bigger as you would expect as it houses a bigger battery but it looks great.

Count1 wrote: »
    Just about to hit the bed for the night but I will take one beside the Tornado in the morning. This mod is bigger as you would expect as it houses a bigger battery but it looks great.

Cheers Count.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Is this the 510N mod by any chance??

Heres a snap of it beside the Tornado as requested.

Wingnut - they don't have a name for it here yet as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Theres no on off switch, just a press button. It is more mechanical than electronic. If you're thinking that you may depress the buttton accidentally, I don't think I ever have and its spent a good bit of time in my pockets.

The connectors I received supplied with it are 401,801,901 & 510.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Anyway, basically its a very reliable and "smooth" vape and, for me, it is a recommended step up from the likes of the Ego / Tornado etc for the intermediate user.
    Could u get more tech. spec. regarding this mod ?
    Does it have constant voltage level ( 3.7 v) ?

Stabilized voltage-- the most important thing u have to look when choosing any mod....
    Constant voltage = regulated output which keeps the voltage the same with each puff regardless of your remaining battery power. As the battery drains the device will keep the voltage consistent giving you the same vaper all day long.( same throat hit , same taste )
    if this mod doesn't have such a feature -- it is simply no good.....
    ( fully charged battery has output 4.2v and 3.2 v when got flat ---taste and throat hit will keep changing with every puff u made)

ps. Personally, I'd stay with the EGO-T battery ( regulated output at 3.4 v ) rather than get mod without it

Any update on this MOD?
    Seeing as the Provari is out of my price range, is there anything else sub hundred euros worth considering with specs Alec was getting at.
    ?
    The eGo booster might be looked at again.
    Buzz Pro is supposed to be in LF soon i think.
    http://www.notcigs.com/buzz-pro/

alec76 wrote: »
    Could u get more tech. spec. regarding this mod ?
    Does it have constant voltage level ( 3.7 v) ?

Stabilized voltage-- the most important thing u have to look when choosing any mod....
    Constant voltage = regulated output which keeps the voltage the same with each puff regardless of your remaining battery power. As the battery drains the device will keep the voltage consistent giving you the same vaper all day long.( same throat hit , same taste )
    if this mod doesn't have such a feature -- it is simply no good.....
    ( fully charged battery has output 4.2v and 3.2 v when got flat ---taste and throat hit will keep changing with every puff u made)

ps. Personally, I'd stay with the EGO-T battery ( regulated output at 3.4 v ) rather than get mod without it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Opit

Any update on this MOD?
    Seeing as the Provari is out of my price range, is there anything else sub hundred euros worth considering with specs Alec was getting at.
    ?
    The eGo booster might be looked at again.
    Buzz Pro is supposed to be in LF soon i think.
    http://www.notcigs.com/buzz-pro/

TBH you should wait untill this baby will come out http://www.ecigwizard.com/shop/en/new-electronic-cigarettes/309-lavatube-variable-voltage.html
    http://e-cig-reviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.0

LavaTube is like provari but made in china ;)
    Retail price should be about 45-50 euros body only

Some details from manufacturer:
    "
    [FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]There are 4 buttons on the ecig:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 1. "+" button, on press you can increase the voltage from 3v-6v, when you reach 6 v it starts back at 6v [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 2. "-" button, on press you can decrease the voltage from 6v-3v, when you reach 3v it starts back at 6v[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 3. On/Off button, press and hold for 5 seconds to turn on device, press and hold for 5 second to turn off device[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 4. The activation button (the big one), held down for 10 seconds or longer, the vv ecig will shut itself off until the button is released.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] Features:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 1. 510 connector, you can control the working voltage by your need, the display will show you the voltage[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 2. Regulated output which keeps the voltage the same with each puff - regardless of your remaining battery power. As the battery drains, the device will keep the voltage consistent.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 3. Amperage Limiting to 2.5 amps[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] The device can monitor and shut itself off if it detects any excessive over-current conditions.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 4. Battery Monitoring/Over-Discharge Protection[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] Device can monitor the battery voltage and automatically turn off when the battery is discharged. When the battery capacity is going to be used up, the display will alert... Also the 18650 battery in it could take out, very convenient[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 5. Vent hole on the bottom of the device for added safety [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] 6. Short Circuit/Atomizer [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] Protection"[/FONT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh wow
    that looks pretty cool

wouldn't be ideal for taking out and about but I have enough egot batteries for that. something like that at that kind of price would be ideal for vaping at home though, always wanted to try variable voltage vaping to see if I can kick up a little more throat hit/vapour from my weak ass nic strength juices

• Advertisement

oh wow
    that looks pretty cool

wouldn't be ideal for taking out and about but I have enough egot batteries for that. something like that at that kind of price would be ideal for vaping at home though, always wanted to try variable voltage vaping to see if I can kick up a little more throat hit/vapour from my weak ass nic strength juices

ProVari with extended cap and 18650 battery is also big and heavy.
    Ideally suited for self-defense :D

Opit wrote: »

Was gonna pre-order this last month through solovapor.es but it seems to be plagued with delays for a good while now.
    As you say, will probably just hang on till it does come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

The lavatube seems to be a good try out for someone interested in VV. Pity it's so long coming to market.
    Great to see Irish suppliers stocking some mods, (I'm willing to test anything btw, pm me :D )
    We need to know if its fully mechanical, cos then its just a matter of sticking protected regulated batts in their. Chrome or stainless ? and will it be available in black?
    At a sub 50euro price it's a good contender for the Icon, Cube or GG.
    How dose it compare to the SD M.II, I'm seriously considering on of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

They are calling these things the L- Rider Power VV or the ego 3. They're all over Alibaba right at the moment and apparently these are re-branded Volcanos

http://l-rider.en.alibaba.com/productshowimg/497573794-212827373/HOT_variable_voltage_ego_Mod_v.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct1

I think they're ugly buggers but at least they don't cost much.

Don't think the lavatube is a re-branded Volcano.
    Wouldn't start betting on it turning up soon, rumor has it the manufacturers are talking about an exclusive deal with a German company.

This new mod from the best shop might be just the thing, hope the price includes batts an charger.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Don't think the lavatube is a re-branded Volcano.
    Wouldn't start betting on it turning up soon, rumor has it the manufacturers are talking about an exclusive deal with a German company.

This new mod from the best shop might be just the thing, hope the price includes batts an charger.

L-Rider are the company manufacturing the Lavatube for Volcano, it's rebranded as the Power VV in Europe.

They're already taking orders and giving delivery dates.

From the ECF forum;

The Lavatube is Volcano's name for the device they'll be distributing God knows when. But the device, despite the fact that Volcano claims they created and designed it (then, why would they allow its worldwide distribution with different names and to any vendor interested?) is by L-Rider and they can sell it to whomever they please. Volcano, as far as I know, has rights on the colour (whatever that may mean) and the brand mark Lavatube - so I've been told by a trustworthy vendor.

mrplop;
    Volcano, as far as I know, has rights on the colour (whatever that may mean) and the brand mark Lavatube - so I've been told by a trustworthy vendor.

And that'll be an American exclusive, so over here it could be exclusive to one retailer in Europe , one in the UK and are we the UK or a separate market? It could just be a free for all.
    Anyway till the deals are done it won't turn up anywhere.

Apparently Solovapor in Spain have stated they will be shipped this week so there's nothing exclusive about them - these will around in early November.

When asked it seems that Volcano didn't even know if they were 2.5amp or 3 amp - these were always a Chinese design.
    There's a probability Volcano just ordered a batch from them with a their own logo much like the Tornado's and Oval's - they're just re-branded Ego-T's made by Joyetech.

It will be a free for all because it's a Chinese product - how many different manufacturers make ego's?

It will be a free for all because it's a Chinese product
    The Chinese: the worlds true capitalists. :p

Don't have the patience at all to wait.
    Awaiting a reply to buy a VV Box Mod, regulated @ 3.7,4.2 and 5 v.
    Takes two protected 14500 batteries (900mAh)
    Will be around €55 total for box,batteries and charger.

• Advertisement

Don't have the patience at all to wait.
    Awaiting a reply to buy a VV Box Mod, regulated @ 3.7,4.2 and 5 v.
    Takes two protected 14500 batteries (900mAh)
    Will be around €55 total for box,batteries and charger.

Throathit from ukvapers??

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Throathit from ukvapers??

No, this one here hopefully...
    http://ukvapers.com/topic/7961-my-new-vv-boxmod/

Release date 10 Dec 2011

12.5% DISCOUNT CODE...ECR69

Opit wrote: »
    Release date 10 Dec 2011

12.5% DISCOUNT CODE...ECR69

Are the bestshop going to take a punt on this opit?

Are the bestshop going to take a punt on this opit?

Did you get one Wingnut?
    They seem to be getting good reviews anyway.

Im waiting for it to arrive:D

Im waiting for it to arrive:D

Am tempted to order one instead of the Throathit.
    If i was flush i would get one of each :D

comes to 74 euro w/ next day shipping from ecigwizard with that voucher for the standard kit + extra battery

it's bloody tempting im just torn as to whether i actually need it or just really really want it

although from looking at it, i dont know if it will fit with the echomisers.. of which i have 7 left unopened in boxes. so wont be getting rid of the standard ego-t batteries for a while yet

although from looking at it, i dont know if it will fit with the echomisers.. of which i have 7 left unopened in boxes. so wont be getting rid of the standard ego-t batteries for a while yet

It will fit with 510 to eGo adapter.

• Advertisement

orly
    that's good to hear
    if I do get this im gona have to rethink my whole approach to atomisers, i've been almost exclusively lr for ages now but they apparently shouldn't be used at high voltages

fun times ahead

orly
    that's good to hear
    if I do get this im gona have to rethink my whole approach to atomisers, i've been almost exclusively lr for ages now but they apparently shouldn't be used at high voltages

fun times ahead

Get a repairable one!

Took a chance on a Lavatube just now from here...
    http://2smok.com/
    They supply it with 1700 mAh batteries, i think ecigwizard supply it with 1400 mAh and plus it is cheaper from that link i posted.

€51 including delivery, be waiting a while as it is pre order.
    i used ukvapers as the discount code.

hrm, ntb at all

they say late december thoughu instead of 10th december :(

hope it doesnt arrive while im at the folks for xmas, that'd be heartbreaking
    think ill order that tomorrow so, just gotta nip into town and pick up a 3v voucher

ill look into the repairable atties.. that "ze bulli" that there's a thread about here? it looks awful complicated :)

hrm, ntb at all

they say late december thoughu instead of 10th december :(

hope it doesnt arrive while im at the folks for xmas, that'd be heartbreaking
    think ill order that tomorrow so, just gotta nip into town and pick up a 3v voucher

ill look into the repairable atties.. that "ze bulli" that there's a thread about here? it looks awful complicated :)

I just added to that thread as i was learning about it along the way, could easily summarise it to make it look not so complicated.

I still buy some disposables for going out, playing golf or whatever but i know i have an atty that will work each time and configured to my liking, the lavatube will just fine tune it a bit.

Having an atomiser that works every time is much more important than a battery mod imo. Good atty first then a mod.
    No point having a super duper battery mod if your atty is not reliable.

Having said that, there seems to be alot of disposables coming out that maybe better than what i was using before.

the patriot looks interesting, and doesn't look too expensive for what is in effect a permanent atomiser. I'll definitely look into it, but i'm happy enough with the echomisers for the moment.. especially considering i have 7 of them, so I'll be doing it arseways I guess, battery mod... then great atties :)

the patriot looks interesting, and doesn't look too expensive for what is in effect a permanent atomiser. I'll definitely look into it, but i'm happy enough with the echomisers for the moment.. especially considering i have 7 of them, so I'll be doing it arseways I guess, battery mod... then great atties :)

At least you will have your Mod and at a good price too if ya get it off that link i posted. It will also enhance the performance of your echomisers so all is good.

Yeah the Patriot looks good alright, will hang on till i see some reviews.

• Advertisement

yeah, it's gona be hell opening the 2smok site every day to check if they're posting them yet :)

yeah, it's gona be hell opening the 2smok site every day to check if they're posting them yet :)

They say late December, ecigwizard and their sister site ukeliquid say Dec 10, anyones guess really.
    Solovapor says late December also.
    I'd say the price be more likely to rise so best to get in now anyway.

aye, gona head into town in an hour or so and pick up a 3v voucher
    the 2smok version comes with 5 extra bottom coil cartos compared to the ecigwizard ones too, so even if it does come a bit later it's worth it I guess.

at least that's what I'll keep telling myself

just ordered :) came to 51.70 all in all for the mod, 2 batts, 2 510 attys, 5 bottom coil cartos and a charger

not too shabby

http://www.irishvapers.ie/clearance/135-variable-voltage-ego-battery.html

irishvapers have a 3 selection vv battery going for 12 euro in a clearance sale, might be worth it if you're curious about vaping at a higher voltage but dont want to shell out big money

i have been noticing decreasing performance from my batteries in general, so I might just pick one of these up to have as a spare for when I get the lavatube

funds need to be considered though, 12 euro ain't much.. but when you add it up to the 51 for th elavatube and the 30 I spent on juices this week... le sigh

funds were considered and I went for it anyway... I need self control

• Advertisement

funds were considered and I went for it anyway... I need self control

I worked out that I've spent more money on than I would have on analogues over the past few months so I know the feeling.

Those VV batteries are unregulated so they fizzle when they've been used after a while, apparently not bad all the same.

http://www.irishvapers.ie/clearance/135-variable-voltage-ego-battery.html

irishvapers have a 3 selection vv battery going for 12 euro in a clearance sale, might be worth it if you're curious about vaping at a higher voltage but dont want to shell out big money

have ordered one of these. will this run ego-t atty's and tanks?

im pretty sure, it looks just like the regular connection on an ego-t battery.

got the battery today
    first impressions of variable volt vaping, there is a definite difference between 3.2, 3.7 and 4.2 vaping. in terms of vapour, flavour and throat hit. i don't notice any huge difference with my dcc but I just filled a new one, so I think it's slightly flooded.. I'll have to keep using it through the day to see

but dripping onto a 510 the difference is very noticable

i was most curious to try it with my echomisers, but sadly it doesnt fit. the battery thread..connector.. bit is just a tiny bit shorter than the one on normal ego batteries, so i'm going to order a 510 to egot adapter
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/adapters/510-to-ego-adapter/prod_214.html
    should have it tomorrow and then I'll be able to test the echomisers.
    over all though, for 12 euro for a new battery that does 4.2 vaping.. i'm happy with it

it's ****ing huge too.. like I think it's only 650mha but it's longer than my 900mha (actually, this may be a 900mha battery... its not on the irishvapers site anymore so i cant check, but they do make them in 900mha so.. it would make sense, given the size)

---edit

uhhhh.....
    one thing that just happened

the dcc i was using in the variable volt battery doesnt fit into my regular egot battery.
    well it fits, but it won't screw in.. the threads are ****ed. now it may have been ****ed before I put them in the new battery, because I put it on the new batt straight from the plastic wrapping and the 510 atomiser i used in the new battery screws perfectly onto my egot batt's. but still, something to watch out for I guess as I have never had this happen with a dcc before. (tried it on a different egot battery, and it screws in fine. so it looks like a problem with this particular dcc, and this particular battery. nothing to worry about I guess)

edit

also, the dcc is now performing diffrently at 4.2 volts. more vapour, flavour. definitely harsher on the inhale. may be a little too harsh, but it is a lr atty and they are meant to be pretty rough at higher volts. that's why i was looking forward to testing the echomisers but tomorrow will do.

edit

also im noticing the power button is a tad sticky
    sometimes after I let go it keeps firing, and I have to press it down a few times before it stops

edit
    never actually edited a post this many times before, that looks ridiculous

battery life isn't great at 4.2 volts, but it's grand. charges quickly enough.

Try twisting the chrome band near the button - this should help the button pop up and work properly.

Do remember that these batteries are 4.2 unloaded and 3.7 loaded which still makes them better than original Joye Ego batteries which are 3.4 volts unloaded. The bummer aspect of these batteries is that they're unregulated which means the voltage drops as the battery runs down, at the end the led band will still be blue but you'll be getting closer to 3.2 than 4.2 out of it.

Still, you can't go wrong getting a snazzy looking battery for €12...

I'll be getting a Lavatube when they're available (could have bought one last week before they sold out at Solovaper) in the mean time I might get an Ego booster although they are silly money, they get up to 4.7 volts (regulated) using Ego batteries.

I find that I need more and more vapour just to be satisfied lately - over 50ml of 18mg most weeks.

mrplop wrote: »
    I find that I need more and more vapour just to be satisfied lately - over 50ml of 18mg most weeks.

Have you tried uping the nic%?
    50ml a week seems, well a mite excessive. If I'm right thats 9mg of nic a week, duno how many smokes that would be but I suspect 20 major a day wouldn't give you that much.

what do you mean by loaded/unloaded.. it's 4.2volts when it's not in use, but when i'm drawing on it it's 3.7?
    yeah i knew about the unrelegated thing, and have noticed that it's not as strong now as it was when i first charged it.. but still it's performing great, and as you said.. for 12 euro .. no problem

if you want a lavatube, pretty sure they still have some here http://2smok.com/mod-s/lavatube/thundervolt.html

discount code ukvapers knocks a little bit off too, only thing is no definite date for shipping only "late december"
    it's a decent price, and you get 5 free bottom coil cartos as well as the 2 atomisers that come with all the other packs

Here's a video review of the VV batteries which highlights the voltage issues with this battery;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p31nBZFn2M

They actually had genuine tangible stock of the Lavatube at Solovapor - they were €75 though, obviously sold out within a day and a half.
    I'm kicking myself because there's practically no-where on the planet that has them before december...

Here's a review of the Ego booster - over €60 but still cheaper than getting a nice looking mod;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyjXfs_uMVw

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Have you tried uping the nic%?
    50ml a week seems, well a mite excessive. If I'm right thats 9mg of nic a week, duno how many smokes that would be but I suspect 20 major a day wouldn't give you that much.

24mg used to make me feel like I had drunk to much red bull.
    I'm a constant vaper - I never stop except when I'm in bed:o

aah, I see

well at its highest setting it's still giving me more kick than the regular egot batteries I have, so i guess I have the 3.4v egot's rather than the 3.7's he had. strange that .3v would make such a difference, or maybe it was all in my head :)

still, 12 euro. pretty lights. all good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement