Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers Air Actuated Clutches?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

I guess I'm illustrating my lack of knowledge now but what the hell is the story with the air brake sound that the toy racers (sorry..boy racers :D) seem to have on their Starlets (sorry......Glanza's) every time they use the clutch. I assume its some kind of air actuated clutch? If it is an air actuated clutch what is the advantage over a regular clutch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Air actuated clutches, lol :o Sorry...

Yeah, that'd be the dumpvalve your hearing.. pitshhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

"Air activated clutch"?!:D Ahahahahahahahah! Good grief if your going to slag off a group of people at least get the terminology right! Its a dump valve, used to reduce pressure in the turbo during large drops in revs, like in gear changes. Helps to improve turbo life.

And let the sterotyping about boy racers and anyone driving a Glanza begin....:rolleyes:

or in some cases, a speaker that makes a dump valve type sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thanks Colm. Looks like I'm a bit of an idiot for asking a stupid question but hell, if you dont ask you'll never know :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks Colm. Looks like I'm a bit of an idiot for asking a stupid question but hell, if you dont ask you'll never know :o.
    You may have been wrong, but I like your thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Nothing wrong with asking a question, just funny to see the smart assed answers AFTER the question has already been answered by Colm Mcm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

its a dump valve these cars seem to make boost very early hence the reason there always going off
    ive them fitted on my silvias but they never go off till the turbo is boosted at over 4 thousand revs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Damn, someone stole your idea green hornet. :(
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6935474.html

tuxy wrote: »
    Damn, someone stole your idea green hornet. :(
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6935474.html
    Thanks Tuxy. At least now I dont feel as stupid!

Funny thing is that there are probably other people out there who didn't know what caused the sound either. Or maybe not......................:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

DonJose wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with asking a question, just funny to see the smart assed answers AFTER the question has already been answered by Colm Mcm :rolleyes:

In fairness, it wasn't a bad question, it was quite a good one. It was just a very funny way of calling it.. seriously it made me laugh.. No offence!! :)

Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with that name ? :eek: It sounds so clever..

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

look a dump valve is fairly well known terminology wouldnt take a mastermind to know what it is(not directed at green hornet)

fair play for asking though, nobody learns by not asking questions
    dump valves dont neccesarily make that pshh noise though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Hahaha., air actuated clutches., thats a beauty., :D

sorry, ill move on to laughing at someone else soon., lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Wub the sound of a dump valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Ah leave the lad alone, I explained the same thing to my GF who referred to the cars that sneezed.

When she pointed out - correctly, and to my surprise - that only the smaller turbocharged cars seemed to make this obvious sound, I explained that for reasons far too long - not to mention the concept of forced induction compression - to explain here they are one of a few options used to reduce turbo lag time and seem to be popular with our younger modders because they make noise, I instead went and showed her how to left-foot brake on a beach, a la Walther Rohrl.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In fairness to the OP, the Swiss truck manufacturer Saurer were putting pneumatically assisted clutches into their trucks long before a dump valve was ever even thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

vtec wrote: »
    Hahaha., air actuated clutches., thats a beauty., :D

sorry, ill move on to laughing at someone else soon., lol
    It's actually pretty good reasoning for someone who doesn't know what a dump valve is, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I guess I'm illustrating my lack of knowledge now but what the hell is the story with the air brake sound that the toy racers (sorry..boy racers :D) seem to have on their Starlets (sorry......Glanza's) every time they use the clutch. I assume its some kind of air actuated clutch? If it is an air actuated clutch what is the advantage over a regular clutch?

they use 2/3 port dump valves.... on cars with at best.... 7.... maybe 7.5 psi ?

dont mind them, boys will be boys, All bark-no b****.... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I usually lock the door before using my dump valve. It sometimes makes that Ptshhh sound when equalising the pressure too. :D

Not your ornery onager

classy guy.

I think this thread is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Guys we are all forgetting the point here

A dump valve makes your car go faster (at least 1000bhp) and makes your cool looking car... sound cool too! LOL

Yeah I hate them to be honest It's not even a good solution to the problem. Recirculation or waste gate is better :) and its not as noisey

Also I don't like em as it gives the "impression" that the car is going faster than it actually is... and the "curtain twitchers" will be going Joe 90!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

astraboy wrote: »

And let the sterotyping about boy racers and anyone driving a Glanza begin....:rolleyes:

In fairness anyone who drives a car that's named after a part of the penis can probably be looked down upon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

In fairness anyone who drives a car that's named after a part of the penis can probably be looked down upon...

GAS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Wouldn't hold anything against a boy racer for having a dump valve...

Would hold a lot against the 90% of cars that make dump valve noises that are just fake dump valves though :)

Wouldn't hold anything against a boy racer for having a dump valve...

Would hold a lot against the 90% of cars that make dump valve noises that are just fake dump valves though :)
    How do you mean?
    Do you mean that some guys buy some kind of "system" that just gives off the noises without actually doing anything?
    Thats pretty sad alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah exactly. Don't know how it makes its noises or what but there are systems they install that make the psssssht on every gear change

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

You'd get more pleasure fitting out of fitting something like this, but it would probably get you in alot of trouble :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYcnYLK_50&feature=user

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

grahambo wrote: »
    Guys we are all forgetting the point here

A dump valve makes your car go faster (at least 1000bhp) and makes your cool looking car... sound cool too! LOL

Yeah I hate them to be honest It's not even a good solution to the problem. Recirculation or waste gate is better :) and its not as noisey

Also I don't like em as it gives the "impression" that the car is going faster than it actually is... and the "curtain twitchers" will be going Joe 90!

Dont forget graham that your evo is a recirculating system, but some cars do vent to atmosphere, so recirculating wont be the best option for them such as Glanza's or Sti imprezas.

i had one on my evo for a week but it didnt take to it well, kept cutting out when you let off the gas, wasnt worth the hassle of fitting a stabilising set to control the thing so i settled for reversing the standard plastic recirculating valve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

kceire wrote: »
    Dont forget graham that your evo is a recirculating system, but some cars do vent to atmosphere, so recirculating wont be the best option for them such as Glanza's or Sti imprezas.

i had one on my evo for a week but it didnt take to it well, kept cutting out when you let off the gas, wasnt worth the hassle of fitting a stabilising set to control the thing so i settled for reversing the standard plastic recirculating valve.

Yeah, my engine was designed for a recirculating diverter valve also and the use of an atmospheric valve will cause a rich fuel mixture due to the loss of already metered air which the ECU is expecting to remain in the system. When the air is vented, the ECU dumps fuel into the system expecting the air to be there, and it's not. This rich fuel condition can sometimes be severe enough that the ECU cannot compensate for the condition and the car will run rough or not idle properly :)

Advertisement