Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Keyless Entry & Start. Reliable?

Options
  • 04-11-2006 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ford have a 'Connection' deal at the moment. €500 for €2.5k of extras, on all LX and Zetec models. It applies to Jan '07 deliveries only

The extras include Keyless Entry & Start (i.e you approach the car; it automatically unlocks. You sit in, and press 'start'. No need to insert any key or card anywhere).

Anyone know if its reliable? or know of any trouble with it?
    it doesn't seem to be all that commonplace (yet). It seems a bit gimicky; but on the demo model it looked like it'd last some abuse.

Incidently, the costs (before any horse-trading, or trade-in) are:

€24,080 for 1.6L Zetec
    + €400 for Metallic
    + €500 for extra's pack

= €24,980

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

They've been used in Renaults for a while now and are prone to sensor problems to be honest I think it's all a bit much. I prefer to have a normal key with remote central locking if you're going for extras on the Focus get the voice recognition it's great and works well with bluetooth phones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭sk8board

eamon234 wrote:
    They've been used in Renaults for a while now and are prone to sensor problems to be honest I think it's all a bit much. I prefer to have a normal key with remote central locking if you're going for extras on the Focus get the voice recognition it's great and works well with bluetooth phones

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Renault card is the same thing. It still requires you to press the Unlock button on the card, and then put the card into a slot under the radio before pressing Start.
    This Frod system requires absolutely no user input. You just leave it in you pocket, and the car senses your arrival (within a few feet of the car I guess), and the car unlocks itself.
    Then you sit in, again it senses the card is inside the car, and therefore allows you press the Start button to get going.

The Bluetooth and Voice activated controls (for Phone, Radio and Climate control) is also part the package for €500. Also includes dual electronic climate control (which is also voice controllable, not sure how though), bigger alloys, and rear electric windows, among other smaller things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

How do you lock the car? If it locks as you move away from the car, it would drive me mad as it would unlock again if i went back to check that it was locked. Could never really be 100% sure that it's locked as i'm walking away from it, although would probably be a beep or something to tell. ffs how hard is it to push a button on a sensor to open your car?

wyndham wrote:
    How do you lock the car? If it locks as you move away from the car, it would drive me mad as it would unlock again if i went back to check that it was locked. Could never really be 100% sure that it's locked as i'm walking away from it

The lights flash when it locks, as you walk away (only a few feet away from the car). It works perfectly fine, and your problem would never be an issue in reality.

Incidently, this Ford card also has buttons. I think you can use them to set how many doors unlock (i.e. Drivers Door only, or all doors).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What would happen when the battery goes on these remote control things? Or does the Ford one not use batteries?

• Advertisement

What would happen when the battery goes on these remote control things? Or does the Ford one not use batteries?

dunno to be honest.

They might work like the swipe cards in an office, where the battery is in the receiver (the car in this case), and the card is just magnetic.

In a few years time the key will be confined to history, so might make it easier to re-sell in a few years if these extras are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like an RFID system. Some types of RFID devices don't require internal power sources.

More info than you ever wanted on this subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The granny and grandad recently got one.

The system is quite reliable.

It's not a card it's like a flip key with no flip out blade

The car has a fob in the place of the traditional ignition that you turn just like a key when it senses the "key" in your handbag/pocket.

To open the car you just pull the handle. to lock you press the button on the door handle or boot. The car DOES NOT LOCK AUTOMATICALLY The "key" also has buttons on it for boot, unlock, lock.

The voice command for the radio is awkward as it asks "please select function">Radio> "please select band"> FM > "please select frequency"> 91.6 etc...The buttons on the dash are a whole lot easier

In regard to battery failure I'm only assuming the car warns you as it does when the key leaves the car while it's running. There is a key blade embedded in the "key" and traditional lock on the driver's door and bonnet. It takes a bit of wrangling to get out but is there in case of emergency

Sounds good to me Ninty9er, and reasonably foolproof.

I called for cash prices today, and got some more info:
    The offer is open for 1 week only, from 17-24th Nov. The cash price is €23,280 (in all garages), a saving of €1,700 on list.

I think I will take this cash offer, and sell existing car private. (Its a '99 Clio RN, on carzone for €3,850).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

sk8board wrote:
    Sounds good to me Ninty9er, and reasonably foolproof.

I called for cash prices today, and got some more info:
    The offer is open for 1 week only, from 17-24th Nov. The cash price is €23,280 (in all garages), a saving of €1,700 on list.

I think I will take this cash offer, and sell existing car private. (Its a '99 Clio RN, on carzone for €3,850).

You should be able to push that down to a nice round figure of €23k.

• Advertisement

The Zetec isn't really worth the extra money with the level of standard spec on the LX

It has fully coloured body and handles. fogs. rear elec. all its missing really is the air con.

The rest i.e the suspension and seats aren't really worth it imo

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ninty9er wrote:
    The Zetec isn't really worth the extra money with the level of standard spec on the LX

It has fully coloured body and handles. fogs. rear elec. all its missing really is the air con.

I disagree. The extra for a better equipped better trimmed and sportier Zetec is well worth the extra dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sk8board wrote:
    The cash price is €23,280 (in all garages), a saving of €1,700 on list

For most buyers that might be the cash price. Others would consider that the starting point of the negotiations :D

Do your worst and let us know how you got on...

ninty9er wrote:

Absolutely couldn't disagree more :)

If anythying, the bad value is with the Ghia spec. All you really get is a Sunglasses Holder and a Cooled Box between the seats (seroiusly!), with the addition of horrible alloys, that look too much like the LX ones.

Heres the LX 'Freedom' Spec:
    15" steel wheels with 7-spoke wheelcovers
    Remote control central locking
    Electrically operated and heated door mirrors
    Front seatback stowage pockets
    Centre rear head restraint (4/5-door and wagon only)
    QuickClear Heated Windscreen
    Aluminium-finish interior door handles
    Centre stack bezel in Antares finish
    Steering column remote audio controls

Heres whats added to the Zetec:
    Key features additional to Zetec LX:
    BlueTooth® hands-free technology with Voice-control functionality of the Radio, CD, satellite navigation** and Dual zone Electronic Air Temperature Control** (DEATC) and mobile phome***
    KeyFree System
    Stylish 17" 5-spoke alloy wheels
    Body colour door handles, mirror housings and side mouldings
    Power Rear Windows with Global Closing on all windows
    Trip Computer and Leather Steering Wheel
    Duel Zone Electronic Air Temperature Control

Focus Zetec €21,825*
    Key features additional to LX:
    16" ‘Sport Design’ wheels**
    Air conditioning
    Unique sports suspension
    Electrically operated and heated door mirrors, with body colour housings
    Body colour door handles
    Chrome grille surround
    Dark headlight surrounds
    Front fog lights
    Sports-style front seats
    Aluminium-finish handbrake release button
    Satin aluminium-finish instrument cluster rings
    Trip/fuel computer
    3-spoke leather-trimmed steering wheel

Thats a lot for 2.5k extra I should think; and makes it much easier to sell on in a few years.

Heading for test drive today.

Incidently, the 23,270 seems to be a pretty rigid price (and believe me I can haggle with the best of them.) Will try again for 23,000 today.

Called 3 garages in 3 counties. All same price.

sk8board wrote:
    Called 3 garages in 3 counties. All same price.

Negotiation is a lot more than picking up a phone and asking "what's your best price?"

Go in person at a good time and make sure the salesperson is convinced you are ready to buy right there right then if the price is right

Also make sure the salesperson is convinced you'll go elsewhere (non-Ford) if you can't strike a deal

Obviously the room for negotiation is the lowest of the year for a January delivery. Much better when the salesperson / garage are under pressure (quarter end)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Keyless and remote locking certainly would make life easier for key-yoinking thieves to find the find the matching car. I know when my gf lost her keys at work there was a big panic and the car park security had to be informed not to let her car leave the premises. With my old-school keys I would have much less to worry about on that front.

Hi all,

called out to the garage this afternoon.

bottom line, we purchased.

Got the 1.6 Zetec Connection.

On top of whats listed in the post above, we also got the 'visibility' pack included, which is the Auto-dim rearview mirror, Black glass headlights, auto-on headlights, and auto-on wipers (all useful extras).

We got the IsoFix child-seat fittings, which are the biz if you have young kids.

As for pricing, we worked our way down to €22,900 on the road (from €24,980, a reduction of €2,080), or €22,800 without the IsoFix.
    If you were to buy all the extra's (and you probably wouldn't), it would be a €27k+ car

As usual, a full tank of gas also included.

Seems a great deal, as it has pretty much everything you would need.
    The Voice controls work very well, but seems a bit impractical for the radio and Dual Climate control (when using your hands would be so much quicker). Interesting gadget all the same.

Voice works best with the bluetooth for the integrated phone system.
    You can save numbers into the car, so you can say 'Phone' - 'Call XXXX'. Not once did it not recognise what I was saying, and nothing was pre-programmed to my voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like a good deal.

Yeah sounds pretty good. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Well done. Best of luck with it and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the input lads. later.

congrats on the plunge, the granny's a bit put out at using a key at the moment as she had a prang in the connection and has a standard LX, amazing how quickly people adapt, even older people.

Just to clarify the LX vs. Zetec argument. on the standard range it's justifiable but in the connection series the LX gets

rear elec with global closing
    quickclear
    keyless
    bluetooth™
    16" alloys
    Fogs body coloured....
    voice control
    trip computer
    that intermittent wiper change system roller

which overall is about as good a package as the standard Zetec--that was all I was really getting at.

Sk8- you picked a few nice options there like the auto headlights but I would have thought, no I'm nearly sure ISOFIX is now standard on all cars...or at least should be

ninty9er wrote:
    Just to clarify the LX vs. Zetec argument. on the standard range it's justifiable but in the connection series the LX gets

rear elec with global closing
    quickclear
    keyless
    bluetooth™
    16" alloys
    Fogs body coloured....
    voice control
    trip computer
    that intermittent wiper change system roller

which overall is about as good a package as the standard Zetec--that was all I was really getting at.

Sk8- you picked a few nice options there like the auto headlights but I would have thought, no I'm nearly sure ISOFIX is now standard on all cars...or at least should be

gotcha. but for me, the Zetec has better performance and ride: you do get the 17" wheels (very wide 205 tyres, smaller than my dad's diesel A6!), with Sports Seats and sports suspension. thats the biggie.
    You also get black lenses on the lights, which looks great in the matellic Panther Black. The rest is cosmetic, mainly aluminium bits on the inside, and the Trip computer.

Yeh, re the ISOFIX, they are not standard. The mountings are there, and its only a €14.95 part!. Seems a bit silly not to just add it in, given all the talk in the brouchures about safety. Maybe its a marketing thing. Too much talk about Baby Seats and the 17-24yo men won't buy it :)

Quick Update:

'finally' picked up the car on Friday last.

On first impressions, the Keyless Entry and Start is a gem.

You walk to the car, and when you go to pull the door handle it checks (in a few milliseconds) if the Fob is in the proximity of the car(in my pocket), and the door just opens as normal. Sit straight in and just press start. Couldn't be easier.

For locking, there is a small button on the drivers door, passenger door and on the boot, just press it before you walk away.

(the fob also has lock/unlock buttons if you are so inclined)

When getting out of the car, it allows you to check if the car is locked by pulling the door handle. However if you give it a good pull, or do it a 2nd time, it assumes you want to get back in again and unlocks. Handy for your sanity for the first few days until you trust the car, that it is actually locked.

Other than that the car is excellent. the 1.6 is good so far, so can't wait until its loosened up a bit.
    17" Alloys, with Chrome pack and Panther Black metallic make it look good from the outside.
    Inside the trim seems good quality, the plastics don't sound hollow, quite the opposite; and are kinda 'soft-feel'.

The voice controls work well (for Radio, CD, Phone, Climate), but work best with the Phone. (will have to give the lady a name :) )
    The bluetooth is the best i've seen, and there is no delay between telling the car to 'answer', and the call coming through the speakers. This was always my bug-bear with Bluetooth. The car defaults to searching for my phone every time you start the car, but its easy to get it to search for other (pre-set) phones. i.e you don't have to do anything for your calls to be taken/made using the car (just have your handset bluetooth switched on).

EDIT: forgot to mention, also got an extended warranty: FOUR years full warranty/4 yearly services/4 years AA, for an additional €900 (was originally 2 years warranty, no services). Hard to beat, especially if we trade it in 3 years time, with 1 year warranty (and free service) remaining

1st off congrats and happy motoring but jsut 2 things
    sk8board wrote:
    Quick Update:
    Sit straight in and just press start. Couldn't be easier.
    Does yours have a start button???? cos the granny's doesn't. And hitting the clutch before the steering column lock releases took a while to get used to
    sk8board wrote:
    The voice controls work well (for Radio, CD, Phone, Climate), but work best with the Phone. (will have to give the lady a name :) )
    We got a guy!!! what discrimination:rolleyes: but I'll have to say the radio is quite complicated if you travel through areas where frequencies differ...a pain in the ass tbh

your right, its not a starter button, on re-reading I was a bit confusing. Its a 'fake' key thats positioned where your ignition would normally be (right hand side of the wheel). It acts as a steering lock (by clicking it in and out), and then turn it (like a key) to start the car. It cannot be removed.

Ya sounds the same so, just a start button like theToyotas sounded so much cooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rowley

I'm getting one of these soon, and I was just wondering if any of the 'already purchased' are regretting not getting the Sony radio setup, with MP3 capability and the AUX port? I assume it would be a serious hassle to get them installed at a later date?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I had one of those front loading 6 x cd players once - excellent unit.

To change the radio cd unit is no problem. 10 minutes max. Dealer job. Will cost a bit though.

I have no idea if the wiring or speakers are any different though.

Ask.

• Advertisement

I discovered this evening that the man in the radio has gone dumb and the bluetooth isn't working...a trip to the dealer in order!!!! The car was recently with them for some crash repair (which looked write off material) but was only cosmetic and the man isn't talking now....I'm guessin someone leaned on a wire somewhere!!

Advertisement