Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty/Customs

Options
  • 19-09-2006 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Howdy all.

I know this has been asked in the past, but the links in the charter don't seem to work and the Irish Revenue site is considerably less then helpful.

I'm looking at getting PRS Custom 24, and currently trying to work out if its cheapest to order it from the states including all customs or get it from europe.

The cheapest I've found for the models im looking for is £1799 from a site in england - thus approx 2850 euro.

Having patiently watched chrisguitars.com (best....site....ever) I've yet to see a 24 to my liking, but he seems to be content to let them go for approx $2000. Other american sites are $2000-3000 which means 1580 - 2360 euro.

Not too sure on shipping charges, but unless customs are like 50% then the states seems the way to go.

So my questions are

- has anyone this information handy?
    - has anyone helpful advice on buying from the US?
    - has anyone dealt with willcuttguitars.com before?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

From the US, you should pay 3.5-4% of the declared value of the item in import duties, and then 21% VAT on the value of the item and shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Hi Raptor

from a customs point of view you are looking at 3.7% customs duty and 21% vat. based on $2000 excluding shipping charge it's approx €397.70 Duty/vat based on this months customs exchange rate.

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There's an import duty calculator in the Instrument Resources sticky, fill it out and it will break it down for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Grand stuff - quick mental maths means thats the US is the way to go. The only problems are

- I'd be slightly weary of buying a guitar I've never played. Then again, I played a rake of them in the states last summer and they all seemed almost identical.

- Neck profile. Custom 24's come in two different neck profiles - regular and wide-thin. Now I THINK the wide thin is the one I preferred, but its something I'd like to confirm before I order. Does anyone know what the current stock of PRSi is in that Dublin shop that has them (cant think of the name offhand)

Edit: Tried to use it, but the link is broken.
    Edit 2: Sorry, the one in the charter doesnt work, its fine in the Resources one. Thanks

Advertisement