Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Fretting?

Options
  • 16-09-2006 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hey, i am considering sometime having my guitar (vintage frets) re-fretted with stronger, maybe larger frets but i dont know much at all about this so i need some advice on it. Ive just realised that there are so many different fret options to choose from and need to know more about these types also. I heard somewhere about stainless steel frets which sound good. Of course ill need to know good places where i can get this done proffessionally and prices from ppl here who have had it done before. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Stainless steel frets are, by many accounts, a lot brighter than normal frets, this may or may not be a good thing. Regarding fret size, try an American series Fender, they've got medium jumbo frets installed, see if you like the feel of them. A lot (if not all) of Ibanez RG guitars have full jumbo frets installed, slightly bigger than the Fenders, they're too big for a lot of folks, just right for a lot of others. That should give you an idea of what size to go for.

Then give Derrick Nelson in Marlay Park a ring, his details are in the instrument resources sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, I find the frets on an RG get uncomfortably large in the high register of the fretboard. Pity, as they'r such lovely guitars otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

You could maybe get the larger frets up to the 12th fret, and then medium the rest of the way? Just a thought:)

I was thinking of refretting my guitar also, but i can't imagine it being cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Rg frets make me :angry: there to fat and wide, i love the Rg and the neck and the gutiar and everything but i find it hard to get low action on my Rg and the frets dont help

6150 frets - mediums i like a lot

Best thing is to go into a gutiar shop, Play different gutiars with different frets and find the ones u like the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Aright thanks guys. I think for now i might just keep the frets i have at the moment (on my '62ri strat) and wait until they wear down more before i spend money on a refret. And yeah in the mean time ill do as suggested and try out some guitars with different fret types so ill know what type i like. Leaning towards med jumbos at the moment though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement