Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar for smallish hands

Options
  • 17-09-2006 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm planning on shelling out for a new guitar. I want to buy a good quality one (fender/gibson etc) but I also want something that makes it easier for me to play. Currently I have a strat and its adorable but playing appregios can be very uncomfortable and afterwards my knuckles feel like thay have got the cramps. I would like a guitar that had a smaller fret size to make it easier for me. I think I would prefer a guitar with a fixed bridge too. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I don't think it's the fret size that you really need to worry about. You should check out Ibanez's Wizard neck. Very thin, very easy to play although I find it to be uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I'd say a telecaster would have everything you're looking for the slim neck/vintage frets/fixed bridge. Definitely dont go for a Gibson if you want an easy to handle neck.. If you're buying fender, check out either fender Japan or the Fender Mexico classic series, i've heard great things about mex classics and i play a jap 62 tele custom as my main guitar with a modded up beat up gibson sg being backup.

feylya wrote:
    I don't think it's the fret size that you really need to worry about. You should check out Ibanez's Wizard neck. Very thin, very easy to play although I find it to be uncomfortable.
    I find wizard's tough to play, they're slim but they're wide like a cricket bat and have a huge radius fretboard, almost completely flat. A 60's fender neck is much easier to play (i have smallish hands too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

How do you find the SG for playing? I have read somewhere that Angus Young favoured the SG because he has smallish hands too. I love the tone of the SG too (especially Frank Zappa's sound). Is your SG a copy or the real thing?

I dont do guitar copies! lol Yeah its an ebony Gibson with new tuners/electronics/most hardware/pickups changed to seymour duncans, altough the body is light, it tends to nose-dive slightly on a strap and the neck is very chunky, my perfect guitar is a tele but i keep it for different sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Go with the Peavey Wolfgang. I've one here somewhere, the neck is a small scale, maple, and the floyd rose will only dive down, not up. You get a D-Tuna too which will drop the low E to a low D. It's a great axe, and the entry level priced one is about 600 Euro for a superb axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

if you're after a fender to suit smaller hands, go for a mustang/jaguar/duosonic/cyclone

all have a shorter scale length than strats or teles. that's where the difference in stretching is, not fret size or fretboard radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

You could try this. Don't let the make put you off either. Tokai make very high grade copies.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=6855&cat=16

Fixed bridge and the sweetest neck. Your welcome to try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Gibson necks not comfortable?! My dear freak! My Les Paul plays like sexy, sexy butter. only a little slicker. Don't go bad-mouthing Gibson necks just because you got some poxy SG. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

A lot of people seem to feel chunky necks are actually more comfortable for prolonged playing, might be relevant if you mean it literally about your knuckles having cramps.
    Also FYI many SGs and Strats have slim necks. They all vary a lot by model and year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement