Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Henry Wholesale Cars (Cork)

• 07-07-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

Has anyone bought a car / dealt with this crowd? They have loads of ads on done deal but no website of their own and all car viewings are by appointment only, which I find a bit odd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There was a Mark Henry that used to sell BMW motorbikes in Kearys Cork, and advertise stuff privately at the same time. Probably the same fella.

There's also a Mark Henry active on adverts.ie
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/cars-motorbikes-boats/46/user-1389947/MARK+HENRY+MOTORS

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭leandrolorenzi

@prettyrestless ( or anyother who bought from him)

Did you contacted him or bought from him at the end? How was your experience? Any feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I didn't contact them at all in the end. I found the whole set up a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seandonnacha

Had a bad experience with this outfit, check every aspect of the car before hand do a motor check, ask him/her every question possible about a car and write it down there and then and bring someone with you to verify what they say or even don't know. All your rights are covered with this, personally I'd rather buy a car from Simi dealers but it's rare you get the same bargain. I'd steer clear of this gang, but then it's your own risk with any Dealer like this.

He could be a SIMI dealer if he wanted, there's no vetting process. It's just a car dealers club basically.

• Advertisement

Yes, but don't Simi dealers agree to a certain level of standard, being one means abiding by guidelines. I'm sure they don't want Cowboys running around with a Simi logo and selling dodgy cars on the back of it.

Nah. Honestly it's basically a lobby group for the motor industry. They do a not very effective arbitration service alright. They provide sales order firms which have proper terms and conditions on them, which I suppose is a help.
    You'd never get kicked out of it, put it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As long as the dealer pays his membership fee every year then they are kudos with the S.I.M.I. Be under no illusion the S.I.M.I. offer no value add to the car buying customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yes, but don't Simi dealers agree to a certain level of standard, being one means abiding by guidelines. I'm sure they don't want Cowboys running around with a Simi logo and selling dodgy cars on the back of it.

b2xzW.gif

Simi code of Ethics:-

Recognising the responsibility of every organisation/company to maintain high standards of business ethics and integrity, as members in good standing of The Society of the Irish Motor Industry.

We subscribe to the following principles and pledge to:

Operate our business in accordance with the highest standards of ethical conduct.
    Meet our customers' needs in a professional manner.
    Advertise our products in a positive, factual and informative manner.
    Provide knowledgeable and trained personnel to ensure efficient quality customer service.
    Upon request, provide written estimates of and details of service to be performed.
    Resolve misunderstandings in a prompt and courteous manner, through, if appropriate, the SIMI Standards Tribunal.
    We accept these principles and pledge this organisation to abide by them.

• Advertisement

Lol.

What's Lol about? You put it down in writing, you abide by it, it's part of our goods and service act -As advertised. End of, lol all you want.

How many garages have had their SIMI membership withdrawn?

Steady on there, lets not get childish.

The S.I.M.I. are a country club of member dealers that lobby their own interests. They offer very little in the way of value to a customer imo. There are as many cowboy dealers out there with the S.I.M.I. sign hanging over door as there are non S.I.M.I. members decent dealers out there.

It would be interesting to see some statistics where the S.I.M.I. had to mediate between their own members and a customers, to see in how many cases the S.I.M.I. have ruled against one of their own in favor of a customer rather than the customer having to take the dealer to the small claims court in order to fulfill their obligations.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How many garages have had their SIMI membership withdrawn?

Sure as long as their membership fees are paid up to date they're grand.

It would, I'd be only to happy to see it, nonetheless I'd veer away from this one, and I'm glad to know Simi is a load of tosh. Your still better off having that code of ethics and your consumer rights behind you when heading to court after buying a dodgy car.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Any of you deal with him recently,possibly looking at a car he has for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dbeagan

pkvader wrote: »
    Any of you deal with him recently,possibly looking at a car he has for sale.

Pkvader, did you contact him or purchase the car from him? Also looking at a car he has. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

dbeagan wrote: »
    Pkvader, did you contact him or purchase the car from him? Also looking at a car he has. Thanks

Yeah purchased 2013 vw jetta petrol off him back in December,nice bloke to deal with,no issues with the car,all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dbeagan

pkvader wrote: »
    Yeah purchased 2013 vw jetta petrol off him back in December,nice bloke to deal with,no issues with the car,all good.

Great thanks v much. Jetta too as it happens ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

The Jetta they're selling is a no-warranty job. With respect, there's not much point in asking what they're like to deal with as there will be zero aftersales.
    Cars looks alright for €2k though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

bazz26 wrote: »

The S.I.M.I. are a country club of member dealers that lobby their own interests. They offer very little in the way of value to a customer imo. There are as many cowboy dealers out there with the S.I.M.I. sign hanging over door as there are non S.I.M.I. members decent dealers out there.

It would be interesting to see some statistics where the S.I.M.I. had to mediate between their own members and a customers, to see in how many cases the S.I.M.I. have ruled against one of their own in favor of a customer rather than the customer having to take the dealer to the small claims court in order to fulfill their obligations.
    Bought a car years ago, found out later it was used as a hack,(specifically asked dealer ,was this ever used as a taxi,prior to purchase) anyway rang and wrote to similar,contacted dealer,similar also had words with dealer,to and fro for a few weeks,in the end ,i got a newer motor,less miles ,from dealer,and a decent warranty,so i guess,similar worked out ok for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bought a car years ago, found out later it was used as a hack,(specifically asked dealer ,was this ever used as a taxi,prior to purchase) anyway rang and wrote to simi,contacted dealer,simi also had words with dealer,to and fro for a few weeks,in the end ,i got a newer motor,less miles ,from dealer,and a decent warranty,so i guess,similar worked out ok for me

Bought a car years ago, found out later it was used as a hack,(specifically asked dealer ,was this ever used as a taxi,prior to purchase) anyway rang and wrote to simi,contacted dealer, simi also had words with dealer,to and fro for a few weeks,in the end ,i got a newer motor,less miles ,from dealer,and a decent warranty,so i guess,similar worked out ok for me

Bought a car years ago, found out later it was used as a hack,(specifically asked dealer ,was this ever used as a taxi,prior to purchase) anyway rang and wrote to similar,contacted dealer,similar also had words with dealer,to and fro for a few weeks,in the end ,i got a newer motor,less miles ,from dealer,and a decent warranty,so i guess,similar worked out ok for me

Simi,sorry tried to edit my answer,no joy, predictive text again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tony3768

Bought a car off this guy last week. Never got the car after paying for it as he said it was booked for nct next day. Week later and garda involved To try and get money back as this guy advertised the car again on donedeal. BEWARE OF COWBOYS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Da Optimist

Tony3768 wrote: »
    Bought a car off this guy last week. Never got the car after paying for it as he said it was booked for nct next day. Week later and garda involved To try and get money back as this guy advertised the car again on donedeal. BEWARE OF COWBOYS!!!

That's libel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The ads he has on donedeal are very strange too. He has pics of himself in the ads and low res pics with just the name of his business or cheap cars etc with very few and very poor photos of the actual car and sometimes no photos at all of the actaul car, instead uploading and low res image of a similar model from google which obviously wasn't taken in ireland.

The descriptions on the ads are are very poor too.

Here's an example of the sh1te he has up
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/-quotcar-of-the-day-quot-nct-03-2019/18614854?campaign=6

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/-quotcar-of-the-day-quot-nct-05-2019/18614793?campaign=6

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/rare-limited-edition-model/18614770?campaign=6

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tony3768

That's libel

Libel is to print a false statement. I have a receipt for the car sold to me, screenshots of the car before and after I paid for it on donedeal etc to verify it is fact. But thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

He even uses the pictures of himself to pedal dog food through the garage.

Wonder would he throw in a few cases of pedigree chum to sweeten the deal.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/buy-quality-dog-food-direct/18615044?campaign=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

That big old grinning smiley head of his on his adds is all the motivation I need to look else where!

• Advertisement

JustLen wrote: »
    He even uses the pictures of himself to pedal dog food through the garage.

Wonder would he throw in a few cases of pedigree chum to sweeten the deal.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/buy-quality-dog-food-direct/18615044?campaign=6

He used to sell radio collars for dogs from his motorbike shop on white street years ago. He started giving up more and more of the showroom to the pet stuff not long before the shop closed if I remember right.

Advertisement