Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fare Dodging - Fake name

Options
  • 04-11-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Over the weekend I met with a group of old school friends at a wedding many of which I have not seen since school (excess 10 years!).

During the course of a few drinks one old ''friend'' told the story at our table of how approx. 18 months ago they had been stopped at Connolly Station without a ticket trying to exit and had to present themselves to the information desk where an on the spot fine was issued. This fine was never paid.

Our group were curious as to why our friend had not paid the fine in order to avoid a Court Summons when rather boldly they announced that this ''friend'' gave MY name.

Of course they did not have ID to prove who they were. Also as they could not recall my house number just gave the road I live on.

They then gave a phone number of a mutual friend to the inspector who wanted to confirm the details. However the mutual friend did not answer the phone when it was called.

The ''friend'' said they expected me to get something in the post but as they didn't hear anything about this through the grapevine they assumed the matter had been dropped by Irish Rail due to lack of proof of identity.

I was shocked at this annoucement, but I never received anything in the post - possible as the road was given as my address, not the house number.

However I believe that it is very possible that a judgement may have been issued against my name should paper work have been issued summoning my name to court.

I have been stewing over this for days now and my questions are:

1. Is it in possible that the fine was dropped as the inspector could not confirm the identity of the person (no id presented, no confirmation by phoning a friend).

2. Can a court summons be issued to a name given if the name / details where not confirmed by a source document or person at the time the fine was issued?

3. Possible one for the legal forum, but anyway is it possible to check for a judgement on my name.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's only pot luck i reckon. You either give a correct name and pay the fine or you lie and get away with it...I doubt they give much thought to catching the culprit, It would cost quite a lot more to pursue..The on the spot fines on law abiding people who happen to get caught out once in a while pays for this...

Considering scumbags just tell them to get F**ed when they get caught and walk away!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Issue proceedings against your 'friend' for defamation of character and fraudulently using your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

4. Get rid of your "friend"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Lapin wrote: »
    Issue proceedings against your 'friend' for defamation of character and fraudulently using your name.

Do this, or least tell your friend that you did this. Get one of the others to act as witness to the admission. This friend or any of the others might see you as someone they can walk on and might try this again. Show them that this is not school, it's real life and you won't be walked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I know someone who always gave the names and address of people he didn't like. Clever I thought. No idea how it turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I live at 123 Fake St myself

Advertisement