Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have any single LGBT people in Ireland adopted?

Options
  • 17-04-2015 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

I know that single people are allowed to adopt in Ireland. I am wondering if anyone knows of any single people (who happen to be LGBT) who have adopted in Ireland?

I know of many same-sex couples who are raising children ; names removed - but in these cases they were biologically related to their children.

If you don't feel comfortable giving names here, you could always PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why do you want names though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Why do you want names though?

To counter-argue those who object to same-sex marriage on the grounds that they believe gay people shouldn't be allowed to adopt.

If you give an example of an LGBT person who has adopted a child - proving it's perfectly legal for gay people to adopt in Ireland - then their argument falls apart.

I dont think its appropriate to name people here at all.

Linking to news reports maybe might work

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I dont think its appropriate to name people here at all.

Linking to news reports maybe might work

OK. Do you know any?

I've Googled a lot but can't find any; just same-sex couples where at least one of the parents is biologically related to the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

To counter-argue those who object to same-sex marriage on the grounds that they believe gay people shouldn't be allowed to adopt.

It's very important that the following is understood in relation to the marriage referendum & adoption. As of April 6th, when the Children & Family Relationships Bill was signed into law, couples (gay or straight) can adopt! Prior to then, only a single person - i.e. Only one of the people in a relationship (gay or straight) or a married couple could adopt.

The marriage referendum is NOT in any way linked to adoption. If the referendum is not passed, a couple - including a gay couple who are civil-partnered, will still be able to adopt a child if they so wish.

It's crucial that people understand this, as certain groups continue to falsely claim that voting yes will deny a child the right to a mother & a father.

• Advertisement

Hylus83 wrote: »
    It's very important that the following is understood in relation to the marriage referendum & adoption. As of April 6th, when the Children & Family Relationships Bill was signed into law, couples (gay or straight) can adopt! Prior to then, only a single person - i.e. Only one of the people in a relationship (gay or straight) or a married couple could adopt.

The marriage referendum is NOT in any way linked to adoption. If the referendum is not passed, a couple - including a gay couple who are civil-partnered, will still be able to adopt a child if they so wish.

It's crucial that people understand this, as certain groups continue to falsely claim that voting yes will deny a child the right to a mother & a father.

I understand all that. It has nothing to do with adoption, which is why people who are anti-same sex marriage annoy the f-ck out of me when they mention children.

The perfect way to counter that ridiculous argument would be to say, "but it's perfectly legal for gay people to adopt in Ireland. [INSERT NAME HERE] is gay, and he/she adopted a child."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I understand all that. It has nothing to do with adoption, which is why people who are anti-same sex marriage annoy the f-ck out of me when they mention children.

The perfect way to counter that ridiculous argument would be to say, "but it's perfectly legal for gay people to adopt in Ireland. [INSERT NAME HERE] is gay, and he/she adopted a child."

Not being rude here, but why do you think its ok for you to offer up people's family lives as an example?

Sure, If somebody steps forward and offers to speak that's grear but I don't think its for the rest of us to use specific people or families for political purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The simple answer is yes. Many have. Because the assessment for adoption in Ireland doesn't ask about your sexuality. You can discuss it if you want (and most do) but you don't have to. There's no box to tick on the form. (At least there wasn't when I had experience. Maybe there is now, but that'd be very odd.)

But why should anyone be used as named examples, presumably without their knowledge or consent? If you get into that to-ing and fro-ing then it gets personal and there's no need. Just counter irrational arguments with rational ones. People are starting to realise that this referendum has nothing to do with children, regardless of what the No campaigners are banging on about. And to be honest you can always find examples of an argument, no matter what the argument is. I could find examples of children who were brought up by same-sex parents who are model citizens, and some who are in prison. I can find examples of single parents raising future Presidents and some raising future mass murderers. I can find gay people who are campaigning against marriage equality. But those are just isolated examples and they don't add weight to an argument, not necessarily. Because all examples can be countered if your 'opponent' wants to.

If I had one wish, though, I'd go back and make sure that the child & family legislation was passed at least a year before this referendum. It was just stupid timing on behalf of the government.

floggg wrote: »
    Not being rude here, but why do you think its ok for you to offer up people's family lives as an example?

Sure, If somebody steps forward and offers to speak that's grear but I don't think its for the rest of us to use specific people or families for political purposes.
    The simple answer is yes. Many have. Because the assessment for adoption in Ireland doesn't ask about your sexuality. You can discuss it if you want (and most do) but you don't have to. There's no box to tick on the form. (At least there wasn't when I had experience. Maybe there is now, but that'd be very odd.)

But why should anyone be used as named examples, presumably without their knowledge or consent? If you get into that to-ing and fro-ing then it gets personal and there's no need. Just counter irrational arguments with rational ones. People are starting to realise that this referendum has nothing to do with children, regardless of what the No campaigners are banging on about. And to be honest you can always find examples of an argument, no matter what the argument is. I could find examples of children who were brought up by same-sex parents who are model citizens, and some who are in prison. I can find examples of single parents raising future Presidents and some raising future mass murderers. I can find gay people who are campaigning against marriage equality. But those are just isolated examples and they don't add weight to an argument, not necessarily. Because all examples can be countered if your 'opponent' wants to.

If I had one wish, though, I'd go back and make sure that the child & family legislation was passed at least a year before this referendum. It was just stupid timing on behalf of the government.

Several people have stepped forward and given their examples, such as the people I mentioned in my OP (whose names were subsequently deleted by a moderator). Both examples volunteered appeared on television and radio in Ireland to tell their stories.

All I was asking for other examples of such people.

I think it's hilarious that you are worried about names being mentioned in an LGBT thread on boards.ie, as if there were some sinister element to this question. There are names plastered over every thread on this site.

And if someone were looking for examples of same-sex couples who have appeared in public, all it would take would be about 30 seconds of searching on Google to find them.

Just to be clear I deleted those names without knowledge that those people discussed the issues publicly. I agree with floggg and b and c, the way you have framed this discussion doesnt seem to take account of privacy concerns.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You don't need to name gay or lesbian people who have adopted to show that the law permits gay and lesbian people to adopt; you just need to point to the terms of the law dealing with adoption.

It's only in the last couple of weeks that it has become legal for a same-sex couple to adopt in Ireland, so the likelihood is that, in fact, no same-sex couples have yet completed an adoption. Nevertheless it is now legal for same-sex couples to adopt, and you can show this by quoting the relevant law.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You don't need to name gay or lesbian people who have adopted to show that the law permits gay and lesbian people to adopt; you just need to point to the terms of the law dealing with adoption.

It's only in the last couple of weeks that it has become legal for a same-sex couple to adopt in Ireland, so the likelihood is that, in fact, no same-sex couples have yet completed an adoption. Nevertheless it is now legal for same-sex couples to adopt, and you can show this by quoting the relevant law.

As I said, the question wasn't about same-sex couples, it was about single people, who happen to be gay, adopting.

If a certain number of single people adopt, statistically some of them will be gay. And while you may not think you "need" names, it's been proven arguments are significantly more persuasive when they're backed up by hard data and not empty generalisations.

Ask any barrister.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As I said, the question wasn't about same-sex couples, it was about single people, who happen to be gay, adopting.

If a certain number of single people adopt, statistically some of them will be gay. And while you may not think you "need" names, it's been proven arguments are significantly more persuasive when they're backed up by hard data and not empty generalisations.

Ask any barrister.
    Yes, but the "hard data" on what the law provides is what the law actually says. The Adoption Acts are written texts; the best evidence for their contents is had by reading them.

Advertisement