Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Talking History'

Options
  • 15-03-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Anyone else a fan of this show?

It's on 7pm-9pm on Sunday evenings.

It's consistently one of my radio highlights of the week. Tonight's show featured the Armenian genocide, and the Berlin blockade. It usually has a good mix of Irish and world history.

Patrick Geohegan has a great radio style: he usually just lets guests tell their story, and tends not to intervene with unnecessary questions. He lectures in history at Trinity College Dublin.

Sorry this sounds like such a shill post. Nobody paid me to write it :pac::pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, it's quite good. I'll often miss the start or end of a piece and intend on catching the podcast during the week but never get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

They were previous shows those two topics were disussed on. I heard the Berlin blockade one on the podcast. the shows gotten better lately it was at a stage where the contributors were all a bit to intellectual and turning the discussions into boring debates. He seems to be getting guests in now who have an interest in a topic and dont over complicate it. There was a good one on the battle of el alamein where he had a guy in whos father was a tank driver. Its a lot better then the one on rte which seems to discuss more doom and gloom irish history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

I listen to the podcasts all the time. I'm a big fan of the show. Agree with the poster above, it was getting a bit too intellectual and the show probably had too many contributors on at times, to the point where you lost track as to who was who. Very informative and interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

i really enjoy this show. I love the topics discussed and agree that the presenter is very good. He doesn't come across as show offy as Myles (on the RTE 1 History Show)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I really enjoy the show too, tho I don't catch it as often as I'd like. What's the best format for podcasting the show? I hate the Newstalk app...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I really enjoy the show too, tho I don't catch it as often as I'd like. What's the best format for podcasting the show? I hate the Newstalk app...

I use Podcast Addict on Android, excellent app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hadn't heard of this show, just added it to my podcast app and downloaded the Berlin Blockade one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Used to wait until around 7 o clock to drive back to college in Dublin just for this show. Something a little different yet interesting at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Love this show. I've only started to listen to it over the last few months but I really enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The very first time I heard the show a few years back I heard them saying that Hiroshima had been bombed by a B-52 and not one person in the studio was able to correct a very obvious error... (until somebody texted in)... I have heard a few episodes about Stalingrad and the fall of the Third Reich which were interesting, but in general I find that in the main they dont cover of history that I have an interest in....

• Advertisement
Advertisement