Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New game needed - Blops 2 is rubbish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

If you want something completely different from Blops I'd recommend The Walking Dead, Dishonoured, or Skyrim.

BF3 is serious though, anyone who likes online FPS has to own it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I can get BF3 in a month or two as i wanna get away from multiplayer shootemups for a while.

Im liking the sound of Skyrim / Planetside 2 / X Com so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Slattsy wrote: »
    I used to play them years ago, when they first came on the scene. But i found they all got fairly repetitive as the years went on.

Fair enough. How about the Uncharted games? Don't think anyone has mentioned those so far.

Did a similar thing myself this year and moved away from shooters (well, a little)

Played all the Assassin's Creed games, all the Uncharted games and inFamous 2.

Downloaded The Walking Dead yesterday but haven't started playing it yet.

Jaggy wrote: »
    Fair enough. How about the Uncharted games? Don't think anyone has mentioned those so far.
    QUOTE]

Played Unchartered when it first came out. Didnt like it at all. It felt like it was made for 6 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

I'd say the best ones are Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Planetside 2 (Join an outfit to get the best out of that.), Journey, The Walking Dead, Saints Row 3 and the one I recommend to all gamers who just gave up on COD/BF3

EVE (Evil, Evil, Evil)

• Advertisement

Played Unchartered when it first came out. Didnt like it at all. It felt like it was made for 6 year olds.

First one certainly isn't the best and I had similar thoughts when I played at the start of the year, the other two are well worth a spin though.

Having said that, you seem to have already been turned off them!

Ravenid wrote: »
    I'd say the best ones are Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Planetside 2 (Join an outfit to get the best out of that.), Journey, The Walking Dead, Saints Row 3 and the one I recommend to all gamers who just gave up on COD/BF3

EVE (Evil, Evil, Evil)

Explain this please ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Batman: Arkham Asylum and the sequel Arkham City are well worth looking into. Really satisfying when you take down a room full of armed thugs with nothing more than stealth takedowns, a few batarangs or some (non-lethal) explosive gel.

You could try Heavy Rain if you want to "play" a movie. Dead Space was good until it got to the asteroid section.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Gulliver wrote: »
    Batman: Arkham Asylum and the sequel Arkham City are well worth looking into. Really satisfying when you take down a room full of armed thugs with nothing more than stealth takedowns, a few batarangs or some (non-lethal) explosive gel.

You could try Heavy Rain if you want to "play" a movie. Dead Space was good until it got to the asteroid section.

I second the call for Batman. Quality games you can sink hours into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

You didn't actually specify what platform your looking for a game on? Makes it easier to narrow down the choices!

Based on some your answers i.e. Uncharted I presume it's a PS3 so I'd also second the vote for Batman. Great games and different to what your used to. Also different would be Journey (short but great) or else the amazing The Walking Dead episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I can get BF3 in a month or two as i wanna get away from multiplayer shootemups for a while.

Im liking the sound of Skyrim / Planetside 2 / X Com so far.

Planetside 2 is a multiplayer shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

QUOTE]

er, what? Uncharted 2 is one of the best games on ps3, its worth owning the console for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

krudler wrote: »

er, what? Uncharted 2 is one of the best games on ps3, its worth owning the console for.

I thought the first one was better, but maybe that was just the novelty of seeing the characters/game mechanics for first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Out of interest, what is it you don't like about GTA? I think you're the first person i've ever come across that doesn't like it.

Im not a fan either. I can play them for about an hour at a time and then just get incredibly bored. The only exception was GTA3, because of how new the whole thing was at the time. I can see why people love the games tho, just something that doesn't click with me. I always struggle to finish big open world games aswel, still haven't finished skyrim/fallout3 + NV/ stalker etc

Also, the uncharted games... most overrated franchise this generation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would i need to play Elder Scrolls first though?
    No. I never played any of them but got skyrim and got right into it straight away. If you want value for money from a game, get skyrim. Hundreds of hours of play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Magill wrote: »
    Im not a fan either. I can play them for about an hour at a time and then just get incredibly bored. The only exception was GTA3, because of how new the whole thing was at the time. I can see why people love the games tho, just something that doesn't click with me. I always struggle to finish big open world games aswel, still haven't finished skyrim/fallout3 + NV/ stalker etc

Also, the uncharted games... most overrated franchise this generation for me.

I find open world games get really dull as well, wayyy too much padding, Assassin's Creed with its collect 100 of this and that, pffff. Id take a well written A-B linear game you dont want to end over an endless open world one where you're wandering around looking for stuff and collect to pad our the play timeany day.

I'll ignore what you said about Uncharted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ideally i want a game that i wont get sick of after a few days.

Something with a bit of strategy, and isnt just about shooting the guts out of anything and everything in sight.
    Buy a boardgame (real version preferred over video game port)

Get the family together.

I recommend Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, or Carcasonne.
    :)

p.s. stay away from 50+yo muck like Monopoly!
    Ravenid wrote:
    EVE (Evil, Evil, Evil)
    Explain this please ???
    gSul3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I recommend Settlers of Catan

I highly recommend this! Love that game. Going to try to convince the family to play that and Smallworld this Xmas.

krudler wrote: »
    I find open world games get really dull as well, wayyy too much padding, Assassin's Creed with its collect 100 of this and that, pffff. Id take a well written A-B linear game you dont want to end over an endless open world one where you're wandering around looking for stuff and collect to pad our the play timeany day.

I'll ignore what you said about Uncharted :pac:

Yeah, i donno what it is really. I mean skyrim i got into for about 30 hours or so (Which is pretty decent i guess) but hadn't come close to finishing it and just cba going back and picking up where i left off. For me, open world games work best in multiplayer imo. Darksouls is also an example of openworld done extremely well imo, not too open but enough so that you've got a good bit of freedom.

Uncharted is just one of those games for me :P And its the complete opposite of an open world game !

gSul3.jpg

haha, i got to the pikes and turned back ! Head was fried !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Buy a boardgame (real version preferred over video game port)

Get the family together.

I recommend Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, or Carcasonne.
    :)

p.s. stay away from 50+yo muck like Monopoly!

gSul3.jpg

Its not really as bad as this anymore, originally the tutorials were pretty pathetic and yes the curve was immense but they have revamped the whole tutorial system and now there are even player corportations(guilds) whose sole purpose is to help and teach new players, the main one being http://www.eveuniversity.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I still didn't find Eve to be that wonderful, you have to invest far, far too much time and energy in it before you start to see meaningful growth. Just not to my tastes and I do love me some space games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

FAR CRY 3!!!!

Downloaded The Walking Dead yesterday but haven't started playing it yet.

Get The Walking Dead.

:eek:

Brilliant.

Advertisement