Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ketchup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

chef red sauce for pizza crusts
    heinz for everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

daveym wrote:
    he could come up with chef in his sleep though
    Ah but of course, since Chef is the stuff of dreams:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mmm, now I want ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

This might be the right place to appeal for help with my current prediciment.
    I often purchase food in my college canteen where all they have ketchup-wise is sachets of the most foul vinegary excuse for ketchup I've ever tasted. Should I just go for it and bring a bottle of quality ketchup in with me? Or is this going to far, and perhaps just plain weird?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Crucifix wrote:
    I often purchase food in my college canteen where all they have ketchup-wise is sachets of the most foul vinegary excuse for ketchup I've ever tasted. Should I just go for it and bring a bottle of quality ketchup in with me? Or is this going to far, and perhaps just plain weird?

I carry a small squeezy bottle of heinz everywhere I go. People act like you are nuts, but they all want a squeeze of it in the end...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Crucifix wrote:

Mine does that too, and the same with mayonnaise. I want Hellmenns, dammit! And it then means that you can't smuggle sachets home with you.

However, I think it'd be a bit weird if you brought your own. Maybe get sachets from somewhere else, and bring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

daveym wrote:
    I carry a small squeezy bottle of heinz everywhere I go. People act like you are nuts, but they all want a squeeze of it in the end...
    I suppose that's an issue too, I could be burning through it due to generous sharing.
    Faith wrote:
    Mine does that too, and the same with mayonnaise. I want Hellmenns, dammit! And it then means that you can't smuggle sachets home with you.

However, I think it'd be a bit weird if you brought your own. Maybe get sachets from somewhere else, and bring them?
    Ironically, though it'd be considered less weird, I'd have to put in much more effort getting other sachets than just bring in some heinz from home.

It's a tough decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

bringing your one is just a bit weird!

that excuse of a ketchup is gross though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Heinz all the way for me.

Bleedin' Chef is just half solidified vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

seansouth wrote:
    Heinz all the way for me.

Bleedin' Chef is just half solidified vinegar.

No way!! - I taste tested last night, Chef is nice and 'tomatoey'
    Heinz is just vinegar with some thickening agent and red food colouring.

Was in BóBós on Friday night, devastated that I had to sully my fine chips
    with Heinz. Bleugh! Shame on you BóBós. They should be pushing the Chef - in with the pints of TK red lemonade.

• Advertisement

olaola wrote:
    No way!! - I taste tested last night, Chef is nice and 'tomatoey'
    Heinz is just vinegar with some thickening agent and red food colouring.

Was in BóBós on Friday night, devastated that I had to sully my fine chips
    with Heinz. Bleugh! Shame on you BóBós. They should be pushing the Chef - in with the pints of TK red lemonade.

ya see thats the difference between the heinzists and the chefites. The Chefites talk a good game but will just give in and use Heniz when available. A true Heinzist would never sully his/her chips with chef but would rather eat bone dry ones instead (with maybe a little vinegar, even chef vinegar is ok).

daveym wrote:
    ya see thats the difference between the heinzists and the chefites. The Chefites talk a good game but will just give in and use Heniz when available. A true Heinzist would never sully his/her chips with chef but would rather eat bone dry ones instead (with maybe a little vinegar, even chef vinegar is ok).

To be honest, I'd use Kandee if there wasn't any other ketchup available. I cannot bear to eat dry chips.

olaola wrote:
    To be honest, I'd use Kandee if there wasn't any other ketchup available. I cannot bear to eat dry chips.

see!! you chefites have no moral fibre!
    I'm actually turning into a bit of an anti-chefite ..

daveym wrote:
    see!! you chefites have no moral fibre!
    I'm actually turning into a bit of an anti-chefite ..

Lets get our priority straight here... it's all about the chips.

Chef is first on my list, then mayo. If no mayo, than anything wet - beans, gravy, coleslaw usw...

olaola wrote:
    Lets get our priority straight here... it's all about the chips.

Chef is first on my list, then mayo. If no mayo, than anything wet - beans, gravy, coleslaw usw...

lets not get into a debate on the best type of chips!

although there isn't much to debate, chipper chips or home
    made fresh ones in a deep fat fryer.

Anything involving an oven or reconstituted potato is not a chip.

daveym wrote:
    lets not get into a debate on the best type of chips!

although there isn't much to debate, chipper chips or home
    made fresh ones in a deep fat fryer.

Anything involving an oven or reconstituted potato is not a chip.

At least we agree on something :)

olaola wrote:
    At least we agree on something :)

huzzah! Chips all round!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A mixture of heinz and chef is nice. I prefer heinz with chips and fish, I prefer chef on burgers. They are totally different, so I would not really choose one over the other. It is like coke N pepsi as though you have to hate one over the other, I prefer pepsi while eating, and coke as a mixer or drink on its own.

Hellmans ketchup is nice as mentioned, you get it in sachets in some pubs, I always rob a handful.

Anybody make their own ketchup?
    Anybody like mushroom ketchup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I've noticed most of the ketchups are almost 30% sugar, I think Kandee is lower at about 12%, along with Tesco's Value brand (possibly the same product.) There was a taste test on ketchup in one of the newspapers recently and M&S and Aldi scored the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I came across HP ketchup last night in my local Mace. Very nice and 50% free

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Chef is the king of Ketchup

YR is the king of Brown sauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i dont mind either chef or heinz, i grew up on chef but when i shop now its usually heinz

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shamrok wrote:
    I came across HP ketchup last night in my local Mace. Very nice and 50% free

Sure that wasnt YR? it has 50% free too.

Got some polish ketchup in dunnes. It had the highest "used tomato" grams per 100g that I have ever seen, think it was 184g tomatoes per 100g, heinz & chef are only about 130g per 100g. Tastes lovely and tangy too, it is the same make as an amazing mild polish mustard. something like pudilski

Kandee for ketchup with chips
    Heinz for ketchup with anything else
    Chef for brown sauce
    Helmans for mayonnaise
    Chef for salad cream
    Colemans for mustard
    French's for American mustard
    Sarson's for vinegar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jargonclay

Speaking of ketchup, have you guys seen a green or yellow ketchup (it's not mustard)? I've seen both and I couldn't use them because they look weird. My friend told me the green and yellow ketchup tastes the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

jargonclay wrote:
    Speaking of ketchup, have you guys seen a green or yellow ketchup (it's not mustard)? I've seen both and I couldn't use them because they look weird. My friend told me the green and yellow ketchup tastes the same though.
    Is this the stuff you see in Indian restaurants? If so then I'd say probably not strictly ketchup but a mint or lime chutney (green) and a mango chutney (yellow). And no, these don't taste the same.

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Is this the stuff you see in Indian restaurants? If so then I'd say probably not strictly ketchup but a mint or lime chutney (green) and a mango chutney (yellow). And no, these don't taste the same.

more likely it is the coloured ketchups that Heinz make, they do a snot green one for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I was put off Kandee at a young age, as it was the mixer of choice for one of my friends who loved to mix it with mashed potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

copacetic wrote:
    more likely it is the coloured ketchups that Heinz make, they do a snot green one for kids.

oh yea, we actually have some of that at home!! iwon't touch the stuff though even it does taste the same...it's just too weird!!

• Advertisement

I remember you could get green Heinz ketchup when we were groing up. Never got it though, my mother would entertain such nonsense.

Advertisement