Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian Dempsey

• 24-04-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Is it just me or is Ian Dempsey the most annoying f**ker you have ever heard on the radio??
    If its not him fake laughing at gift grub (hasnt been funny in years),
    Him talking over everyone,
    When he doesnt hear someone he just shouts ''what, what, WHAT''
    When someone wins €5 on his s**t competitions he screams YYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSS you've done it!!!
    and the WORST when people are talking to him he just grunts while there talking and throws in a random OOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!

Now your probably asking yourself why i dont change the channel??
    I work in a factory and cant change the channel or turn it down :(
    So from 8 to 9 in the morning im walking around the factory clinching my fists thinking of ways to hurt him!! :mad::mad:

I cant be the only one?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

His "banter" with good old P.C. (best not start on him) and his singing over the end of songs is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

His "banter" with good old P.C. (best not start on him) and his singing over the end of songs is very annoying.

YES!! he just goes bom bom bom bom bom bom at the end of songs, its feckin head wrecking!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First world problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

Hate his timekeeping for news etc.

His interviewing and quiz technique is brutal.

Still listen in though, not sure why!!

Plays some good tunes and 2fm and my local station are (were last time I checked) worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Back in the 2000s i used to like him but no not anymore hes boring excruciating and paul collins is a knob.

I listen to local radio now way better n not talking as much ****e as him or those other 3 gob****es on2FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I like Ian.
    And I often find gift grub funny.
    Sport updates I wouldn't miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Yeh hes painful. I havent listened to him in over 3 years, but from what i remember he was always hitting off buttons playing ads during interviews.

Really if there was a man who could fit the Alan Partridge profile this would be him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I like Ian. Used to listen to him on 2FM when he had Jimmy on with his dry jokes too.
    False laugh yes, but even I can't manage to be as happy as everyone here every morning at 7am. Most Gift Grubs are funny imo though I don't like Mon and Fri. SKY/GAA was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Used listen but now Im a newstalk listener. Think it was during last election actually, himself and darcys righteousness made me feel ill. It was populist bullcrap with no intelligence behind it. Find ivan and chris superb. Dont agree with alot of their stuff but if they put out an opinion they back it up, and dont read out texts praising themselves. Darcy grinds my gears no end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Deco99 wrote: »
    Used listen but now Im a newstalk listener. Think it was during last election actually, himself and darcys righteousness made me feel ill. It was populist bullcrap with no intelligence behind it. Find ivan and chris superb. Dont agree with alot of their stuff but if they put out an opinion they back it up, and dont read out texts praising themselves. Darcy grinds my gears no end
    Does Dempsey comment on current affairs?

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Does Dempsey comment on current affairs?

He did. Cant comment now as I dont tune in. It was low brow stuff along the line of they are all terrible and we get rid of them all. Followed by reading out people saying youre dead right. You should be taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

every presenter has little things that annoy people but in the grand scheme of things Ian is one of the least annoying. I like him.

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    every presenter has little things that annoy people but in the grand scheme of things Ian is one of the least annoying. I like him.

Levels of annoyance are surely subjective. For me hes the most annoying just ahead of darcy and 2fms cool kidz that seem so forced to show their coolness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

110% agree with you OP.

Other "Dj's" that do my head in are Fenton and that muppet Fergal Darcy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Duggie2012 wrote: »

I agree. Only listen a bit but when I do, he comes across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I normally listen to Ivan in the mornings, but if I want a lighter breakfast radio then I listen to Dempsey. He comes across as much more genuine than most DJ's with their excruciating 'wackiness' and 'zaniness'. Like those buffoons over on 2FM. Format is a bit tired at this stage, but he's an amiable sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I like Iano. There's something comfortable and familiar with him. He comes across as a genuine enough guy who doesn't take himself too seriously and who you'd happily sit down for a pint with. Easy to listen to generally compared to the forced "look-at-me, aren't I funny" zanyness that's infected every other show. Gift Grub can be a bit hit and miss (more often miss), but it still comes out with some gems (e.g. the recent Sky Sports-GAA skit).

Sure, he drags out the news/sports bulletins a bit too much and the show is full of product placements (but that's down to Today FM themselves), but overall I'd have Ian any day over the twits on 2FM.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: Personal abuse of presenters is not allowed. There are warnings in place for posts that have crossed that line. One post in particular has been removed for being abusive whilst also being totally off-topic.

Cheers,
    hullaballoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You can't argue with his numbers. He has been consistently trouncing 2FM for years, Tubridy was the only breakfast presenter who gave him any kind of challenge.

He's a likeable guy who knows what people want at Breakfast time. The show is a bit repetitive and stale but maybe most listeners are less interested in new features than people who post on Radio Forums.

Why cant I argue with the numbers? I find him annoying and a poor presenter. Great saying goes 'a person is smart, people are stupid'.

You know what else is popular? Sausages and willie o dea. That doesnt mean their any good though

• Advertisement

Deco99 wrote: »
    Why cant I argue with the numbers? I find him annoying and a poor presenter. Great saying goes 'a person is smart, people are stupid'.

You know what else is popular? Sausages and willie o dea. That doesnt mean their any good though

Good for you.

If you were running Today FM would you replace him?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

Skid X wrote: »
    Good for you.

before he could open his mouth he would be kicked out the door!!!

duckman!! wrote: »
    before he could open his mouth he would be kicked out the door!!!

You wouldn't be long following him if you sacked their most successful Presenter!

You could have the greatest Radio Presenters in the world on air and people would still complain about them.

It's all down to individual preference, But I respect anyone who gets a decent audience in a very crowded Radio Universe.

Skid X wrote: »
    Good for you.

Player/manager type role? Be quiet the workload, not sure id be able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

He's the best morning show presenter there is.

But jeez he's regularly a bit of a dope.

Anyone here the Farmer C joke this morning that he didn't get til someone texted in - but he had still laughed heartily at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Rarely if ever post in the Radio forum but decided to come in to let you know about Marketa Irglova who sung a new song of hers live on this just before 9am this morning.

Incredible performance, and I'd highly recommend anyone to listen back on podcast or whatever, you won't be disappointed. One of the best live radio pieces I've heard in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

came in to say just that, magical moment just before 9am, and he said she will be back when her concert comes round in november.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Couldn't help notice a bit of laughing in the background during the quiz this morning. Is that maireads influence on the show already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Couldn't help notice a bit of laughing in the background during the quiz this morning. Is that maireads influence on the show already

i heard a laugh aswell before a quiz about 825 sounded like her but shut up very quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Don't normally listen to him but got a lift to work a few mornings lately, with a driver who is an avid Today FM listener. By God, Ian can waffle and waffle and waffle and waffle. Maybe that's what a lot of people want in the mornings.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Don't normally listen to him but got a lift to work a few mornings lately, with a driver who is an avid Today FM listener. By God, Ian can waffle and waffle and waffle and waffle. Maybe that's what a lot of people want in the mornings.

I'm not sure I'm in that demographic, but what I do know is that listening to Morning Ireland or Newstalk on the way to work does NOT ONE THING to lift the spirits, whereas the light-heartedness and frivolousness of Ian and his show often has me laughing out loud. Call me shallow, but there's way too much misery on some of the other stations, and not having to think too much and just let Ian's show to wash over me is a harmless way to start the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I'm not sure I'm in that demographic, but what I do know is that listening to Morning Ireland or Newstalk on the way to work does NOT ONE THING to lift the spirits, whereas the light-heartedness and frivolousness of Ian and his show often has me laughing out loud. Call me shallow, but there's way too much misery on some of the other stations, and not having to think too much and just let Ian's show to wash over me is a harmless way to start the day

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Time to knock that gift grub ****e on the head though. One sketch out of ten barely raises a chuckle these days.

Dargull wrote: »
    Time to knock that gift grub ****e on the head though. One sketch out of ten barely raises a chuckle these days.

Can't believe Rosenstock is still getting away with actually taking that ****e on tour.

Although he seems to have been relegated to pretty small rooms now.

Gift really has gone to the dogs. The one the other day was desperate. He does throw in the odd good one but maybe time to knock the slot every day. Also does the 8oclock news on dempsey start late and run late or just go on for ages along with his "banter" with the gombeen sports presenter

• Advertisement

I think the whole Today FM morning, Dempsey AND D'Arcy, is lazy and at this stage, very tired. None of it has changed all in about 15 years - except D'Arcy has gotten more serious and more annoying.

I wish they'd at least try a few things. Steal formats from other shows, even some from outside of Ireland. There's podcasts for practically everything in the world these days. They're too happy to stay in the comfort zone. D'Arcy talks about eating sugar and running every day and Dempsey has the same banter with Collins and Rosenstock pretending to laugh at jokes he pretends he hasn't heard before and reading out texts about what names people give their cars and that type of stuff - which is the Miread Farrell influence and is just a touch of D'Arcy moving over to Dempsey, it's not real change.

I've been gradually listening to more and more of those non-Irish podcasts like Howard Stern and soon it'll be all I listen to the way things are going coz there isn't anything else in Ireland I particularly want to listen to for very long either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Saw Iano tweeted a pic of himself earlier with the breakfast crew and a birthday cake, and "Question Of The Day: Who wouldn't want to work here?"

Someone tweeted back 'Ray D'Arcy' and Ian replied" you're first in with the correct answer!!" :D:D

https://twitter.com/IanDempsey/status/556126907973271552/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lynsey

In all honesty, is Ian's breakfast show not exactly what it says on the tin? It's light hearted, funny, laugh out loud moments. Mario can be a bit of hit or miss, but when he hits, by God it's worth it. The sports news does go on a bit, but it's fairly relevant, you have every bit of information about anything you need to know on the show, all in all it's probably one of the best breakfast shows
    in the country. That's my view for what it's worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

I'll be trying to avoid it this week. Always found Ian & co. the Ski week a tad self-indulgent, not what I need to hear about in January :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I agree. i often listen to it running in the morning - its friendly and "comfy" to listen to. I like Ian and i think he has a nice way with guests on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Dustin on the show tomorrow. I am sure he wont be holding back with the slagging of Ray D'arcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Dustin on the show tomorrow. I am sure he wont be holding back with the slagging of Ray D'arcy

Looks like he got the shift :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

lynsey wrote: »
    In all honesty, is Ian's breakfast show not exactly what it says on the tin? It's light hearted, funny, laugh out loud moments. Mario can be a bit of hit or miss, but when he hits, by God it's worth it. The sports news does go on a bit, but it's fairly relevant, you have every bit of information about anything you need to know on the show, all in all it's probably one of the best breakfast shows
    in the country. That's my view for what it's worth!

Exactly, well put.

The interruptions for sport and traffic do annoy me though, but that's on every station. Equally annoyed with that crap in the evenings whether it's Wilson, Hook or Cooper.

The ski thing with Dempsey is a bit of craic and part of the furniture now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Ever hear him read out long emails? His tone is all wrong. Finishing on a dull tone when it should be dramatic.

good to hear bertie back on gift this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dempsey is one of my most hated DJs, he is very repetitive and dull. His voice annoys me so much I can't even watch Lidl adverts any more!

As for GG, it is many years past its sell-by at this stage, but sure Dempsey has a vested interest in it, he'll promote it as much as he can.

I never really found Mario funny, but he has really gone downhill of recent times. Callan is much funnier than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Normally enjoy iano's show but this mornings show from the sugar club has been chaotic to say the least. He's doing a car giveaway and was trying to explain the rules but had to go to an ad break because he couldn't understand them and hence couldn't explain them. The live gift grub with a rugby theme was all over the place aswell. I can appreciate there will be issues when they are away from the studio but it has made for uneasy listening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

NIMAN wrote: »
    Dempsey is one of my most hated DJs, he is very repetitive and dull. His voice annoys me so much I can't even watch Lidl adverts any more!

As for GG, it is many years past its sell-by at this stage, but sure Dempsey has a vested interest in it, he'll promote it as much as he can.

I never really found Mario funny, but he has really gone downhill of recent times. Callan is much funnier than him.

Why listen to it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

How this fella is in a job and Anton was given the heave ho/walked away, I will never know. This morning's 8am news was a car crash. Halfway through Iano starts playing the next song up queued. Though it did take me away from Paul Collins for a bit

Think this show is in definite need of a shake up with the supposed 2017 revamp. They won't change the presenter, but they need to change the format of the show and improve the music a bit. Give him a new sidekick (Maybe Dustin the Turkey) and get shut of that terribly annoying sports-news presenter. Give Gift Grub the boot or try it for a while with the new mid morning show, with proper investment and scriptwriters/impressionists with new caricatures and new ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement