Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Dempsey

Options

Comments

Radio5 wrote: »
    Don't normally listen to him but got a lift to work a few mornings lately, with a driver who is an avid Today FM listener. By God, Ian can waffle and waffle and waffle and waffle. Maybe that's what a lot of people want in the mornings.

I'm not sure I'm in that demographic, but what I do know is that listening to Morning Ireland or Newstalk on the way to work does NOT ONE THING to lift the spirits, whereas the light-heartedness and frivolousness of Ian and his show often has me laughing out loud. Call me shallow, but there's way too much misery on some of the other stations, and not having to think too much and just let Ian's show to wash over me is a harmless way to start the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I'm not sure I'm in that demographic, but what I do know is that listening to Morning Ireland or Newstalk on the way to work does NOT ONE THING to lift the spirits, whereas the light-heartedness and frivolousness of Ian and his show often has me laughing out loud. Call me shallow, but there's way too much misery on some of the other stations, and not having to think too much and just let Ian's show to wash over me is a harmless way to start the day

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Time to knock that gift grub ****e on the head though. One sketch out of ten barely raises a chuckle these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dargull wrote: »
    Time to knock that gift grub ****e on the head though. One sketch out of ten barely raises a chuckle these days.

Can't believe Rosenstock is still getting away with actually taking that ****e on tour.

Although he seems to have been relegated to pretty small rooms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Gift really has gone to the dogs. The one the other day was desperate. He does throw in the odd good one but maybe time to knock the slot every day. Also does the 8oclock news on dempsey start late and run late or just go on for ages along with his "banter" with the gombeen sports presenter

• Advertisement

I think the whole Today FM morning, Dempsey AND D'Arcy, is lazy and at this stage, very tired. None of it has changed all in about 15 years - except D'Arcy has gotten more serious and more annoying.

I wish they'd at least try a few things. Steal formats from other shows, even some from outside of Ireland. There's podcasts for practically everything in the world these days. They're too happy to stay in the comfort zone. D'Arcy talks about eating sugar and running every day and Dempsey has the same banter with Collins and Rosenstock pretending to laugh at jokes he pretends he hasn't heard before and reading out texts about what names people give their cars and that type of stuff - which is the Miread Farrell influence and is just a touch of D'Arcy moving over to Dempsey, it's not real change.

I've been gradually listening to more and more of those non-Irish podcasts like Howard Stern and soon it'll be all I listen to the way things are going coz there isn't anything else in Ireland I particularly want to listen to for very long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Saw Iano tweeted a pic of himself earlier with the breakfast crew and a birthday cake, and "Question Of The Day: Who wouldn't want to work here?"

Someone tweeted back 'Ray D'Arcy' and Ian replied" you're first in with the correct answer!!" :D:D

https://twitter.com/IanDempsey/status/556126907973271552/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lynsey

In all honesty, is Ian's breakfast show not exactly what it says on the tin? It's light hearted, funny, laugh out loud moments. Mario can be a bit of hit or miss, but when he hits, by God it's worth it. The sports news does go on a bit, but it's fairly relevant, you have every bit of information about anything you need to know on the show, all in all it's probably one of the best breakfast shows
    in the country. That's my view for what it's worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

I'll be trying to avoid it this week. Always found Ian & co. the Ski week a tad self-indulgent, not what I need to hear about in January :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I agree. i often listen to it running in the morning - its friendly and "comfy" to listen to. I like Ian and i think he has a nice way with guests on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Dustin on the show tomorrow. I am sure he wont be holding back with the slagging of Ray D'arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Dustin on the show tomorrow. I am sure he wont be holding back with the slagging of Ray D'arcy

Looks like he got the shift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

lynsey wrote: »
    In all honesty, is Ian's breakfast show not exactly what it says on the tin? It's light hearted, funny, laugh out loud moments. Mario can be a bit of hit or miss, but when he hits, by God it's worth it. The sports news does go on a bit, but it's fairly relevant, you have every bit of information about anything you need to know on the show, all in all it's probably one of the best breakfast shows
    in the country. That's my view for what it's worth!

Exactly, well put.

The interruptions for sport and traffic do annoy me though, but that's on every station. Equally annoyed with that crap in the evenings whether it's Wilson, Hook or Cooper.

The ski thing with Dempsey is a bit of craic and part of the furniture now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Ever hear him read out long emails? His tone is all wrong. Finishing on a dull tone when it should be dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

good to hear bertie back on gift this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dempsey is one of my most hated DJs, he is very repetitive and dull. His voice annoys me so much I can't even watch Lidl adverts any more!

As for GG, it is many years past its sell-by at this stage, but sure Dempsey has a vested interest in it, he'll promote it as much as he can.

I never really found Mario funny, but he has really gone downhill of recent times. Callan is much funnier than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Normally enjoy iano's show but this mornings show from the sugar club has been chaotic to say the least. He's doing a car giveaway and was trying to explain the rules but had to go to an ad break because he couldn't understand them and hence couldn't explain them. The live gift grub with a rugby theme was all over the place aswell. I can appreciate there will be issues when they are away from the studio but it has made for uneasy listening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

NIMAN wrote: »
    Dempsey is one of my most hated DJs, he is very repetitive and dull. His voice annoys me so much I can't even watch Lidl adverts any more!

As for GG, it is many years past its sell-by at this stage, but sure Dempsey has a vested interest in it, he'll promote it as much as he can.

I never really found Mario funny, but he has really gone downhill of recent times. Callan is much funnier than him.

Why listen to it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

How this fella is in a job and Anton was given the heave ho/walked away, I will never know. This morning's 8am news was a car crash. Halfway through Iano starts playing the next song up queued. Though it did take me away from Paul Collins for a bit

Think this show is in definite need of a shake up with the supposed 2017 revamp. They won't change the presenter, but they need to change the format of the show and improve the music a bit. Give him a new sidekick (Maybe Dustin the Turkey) and get shut of that terribly annoying sports-news presenter. Give Gift Grub the boot or try it for a while with the new mid morning show, with proper investment and scriptwriters/impressionists with new caricatures and new ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Think this show is in definite need of a shake up with the supposed 2017 revamp. They won't change the presenter, but they need to change the format of the show and improve the music a bit. Give him a new sidekick (Maybe Dustin the Turkey) and get shut of that terribly annoying sports-news presenter. Give Gift Grub the boot or try it for a while with the new mid morning show, with proper investment and scriptwriters/impressionists with new caricatures and new ideas.

Figures wise there's very little wrong with the show so if it ain't broke. Dempsey is one of the most consistent performers on the station, it would be suicide of newstalk breakfast proportions to throw the baby out with the bath water and change it. I agree with the sentiment on Paul Collins, he grates, mind you so does Des Cahill doing the exact same role on RTE. I'd say Collins is an employee as opposed to a contractor so he won't be going anywhere for a long while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Collins single handedly covers off the requirement for Gaeilge though with his "i lár na páirce" and "Tiobraid Árainn".
    I very rarely listen to the radio anymore, when I do it's on the TuneIn app through ear phones and my god the amount of nasally breathing he does before each new sentence is an absolute headwreck.

heybaby wrote: »
    Figures wise there's very little wrong with the show so if it ain't broke. Dempsey is one of the most consistent performers on the station, it would be suicide of newstalk breakfast proportions to throw the baby out with the bath water and change it. I agree with the sentiment on Paul Collins, he grates, mind you so does Des Cahill doing the exact same role on RTE. I'd say Collins is an employee as opposed to a contractor so he won't be going anywhere for a long while yet.

That's why I said they won't change it. But there's no reason to think Dempsey listeners will tune out just coz the format changes. You're still going to have news, sportsnews, showbiz gossip, music, interviews and giveaways so there's not much that can be changed other than Gift Grub and the music (I always think the music is way better whenever Hector is standing in). I think a regular partnership with Dustin instead of Gift Grub would actually increase the show's listnership. I wouldn't for a second believe that Gift Grub still has that many fans. Both it and the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show need a makeover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Dempsey is so fake happy i just can't listen to him, possibly the most smug man alive today,
    i also agree GG has had it's day about 5 years ago.
    The problem is, you have that other entity Paul Williams on Newstalk.
    Please bring back Ivan Yates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

No, no, a million times noooo!!!

NOTHING about Dustin is funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

His Radio show is a Christmas Jumper.
    Trys to be funny but is not
    And just embarrassing for all concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah when Dustin is on with darcy and you can hear ray getting uncomfortable it's always enjoyable and funny. Well to me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Thank you! I was starting to think I was the only person who found Dustin about as funny as being poked in the eye repeatedly with a sharp stick .

I agree with the general sentiment though. The show does need a shake-up as the format has become tired. There's too much fake laughter and false hilarity. Unless they're working on the basis that most of the people tuning in are either too busy or too tired to notice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

don't even get me started on paul collins or the cringey funny segments in the news, it's nearly as bad as dermot and dave and they should be shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

AnneFrank wrote: »
    don't even get me started on paul collins or the cringey funny segments in the news, it's nearly as bad as dermot and dave and they should be shot
    the difference is dermot and dave are actually funny.

Advertisement