Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

98fm giving away money in Dun Leary today

Options
  • 13-03-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Anybody know what this was about? 98fm were in dun leary today giving out money and hundreds of people were quing up. i didnt get any! why are they doing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ellen OG wrote: »
    why are they doing this?

Promotional stunt as their listenership figures are in a ditch for the bulk of the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Adrian Kennedy show, their third time doing it in two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Do you really think the correct spelling is Dun Leary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

eezipc wrote: »

I wouldn't have given the OP free dough either for that alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

eezipc wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BAn_Laoghaire
    The name is sometimes unofficially spelt in modern Irish orthography as Dún Laoire or Dún Laoighre.[7][8] In some cases, the old anglicised spelling Dunleary /dʌnˈlɪəri/ is seen.[7][9]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Interesting fact:

Dun Laoghaire is the only Irish place name without an English version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

It is the correct spelling. This is from a previous thread on the topic.212546.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

endacl wrote: »
    Interesting fact:

The English version is Dunleary. In terms of Irish places names where the map makers / signs ignore the English version, there's Baegnalstown, and until the mid 1990s it was pretty common for Newbridge, Kells, Navan and Charleville to only ever be printed in Irish for some surreal reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Even if Dunleary is right, Dun Leary isn't. 98 have given away 15 grand in the last few weeks now. either they think it's better for publicity or they can't get the sponsors on-board for prizes, although they did give away a trip to London for the script.

I'd say the reason they were giving away money is because they they had a game on the talkshow, if you had the serial number on that fiver or if someone else did you won 5 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

endacl wrote:
    What about Port Laoise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

jrmb wrote: »
    What about Port Laoise?

Port Laoise Irish

Portlaoise English

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Firstly, last week when they first gave out money at the Spire, they never told the people that they should hang on to their fivers.
    Jeremy made a point of letting listeners know he was handing out some money to some homeless people too.

Fast forward to a few days later and Adrian tells the listeners that one of those fivers was now worth €5k and if your fiver had the same serial number as the one they posted on their FB page, you had won.

I don't see how that was fair; what about the homeless people who had been given the money? Not all of them have the luxury of a radio; how would they have known about the €5k twist?

The whole thing seems like it was a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

fussyonion wrote: »
    Firstly, last week when they first gave out money at the Spire, they never told the people that they should hang on to their fivers.
    Jeremy made a point of letting listeners know he was handing out some money to some homeless people too.

Fast forward to a few days later and Adrian tells the listeners that one of those fivers was now worth €5k and if your fiver had the same serial number as the one they posted on their FB page, you had won.

I don't see how that was fair; what about the homeless people who had been given the money? Not all of them have the luxury of a radio; how would they have known about the €5k twist?

The whole thing seems like it was a mess.

I iamgine they'd prefer not to actually give the 5 grand away so it suits them, otherwise there is no game, the possibility was anyone could have that fiver now. If they told them it would have limited the possibilities as to who had the fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ellen OG

sorry for spelling it Dun leary but i didnt know the irish spelling! ok i know what its about now a friend filled me in. I think its a brilliant idea like a search for a hidden treasure! If they told people to hold onto the money that would take away the fun. I spent the last hour checking all the €5s in my house ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭thesandeman

What's the serial number just in case?
    I don't do Facebook's.

Advertisement