Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tony Fenton returning in November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Good luck to him, a likeable cheese ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

He looks well in the pic from the Hall of Fame ceremony - hopefully it's a sign that he's over the worst. Will be good to have him back on air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

That's good.

Don't listen to him much but sounds like a nice chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Always liked listening to him massive improvement over his stand in.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

didnt recognise his voice on radio today while talking about the PPI award,sounded like a different person altogeter,no surprise with all hes gone thru

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Fair play. Missed T-Bone in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

didnt recognise his voice on radio today while talking about the PPI award,sounded like a different person altogeter,no surprise with all hes gone thru

what show was he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Delighted for his award and to hear that he'll be back. I don't listen to his show much (might catch the end of it before tuning into Matt Cooper) but I've heard him interviewed many times and he seems like a decent auld skin, who has been through a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Delighted to hear this. His stand ins are excellent but will be great to have tony back on air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

According to Phil Cawley, Tony is popping in tomorrow for a chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Glad to hear.

When Tony is off the mic as it were, he sounds a lot more "conventional", arguably better.

Encouraging to see him looking so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tony has been on air with Phil this afternoon, he sounds eager to return to the show.

His Sunday 'Tony Fenton presents' 6 part pre-recorded series seemed to have ended suddenly with only 4 programmes aired in Nov-Dec. Is he due back on the radio soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Looks like Tony is due back in a month. http:// www .independent.ie/entertainment/radio/tony-fenton-on-course-to-get-back-on-the-air-after-cancer-battle-30924861. html

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RockLady

Looks like Tony is due back in a month. http:// www .independent.ie/entertainment/radio/tony-fenton-on-course-to-get-back-on-the-air-after-cancer-battle-30924861. html
    The article says that Louise is moving to 7pm. So where's Colm O'Sullivan going? Maybe he has enough on his plate with backstage duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Is Tony back on air at Today FM soon? Thought it was meant to be February?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Ian Dempsey was on with Lucy Kennedy & Martin King on tv last week talking about Shave or Dye and he mentioned that Tony is currently in hospital, but he didn't elaborate much. It was mainly a reference to the fact that everyone has been touched by cancer and that Tony is fighting the same fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It seems there's been a few aborted attempts at easing him back in at this stage. The last announcement (early January) sounded very definite that he'd be back by now.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It seems there's been a few aborted attempts at easing him back in at this stage. The last announcement (early January) sounded very definite that he'd be back by now.

His 6 part 'tony fenton presents' show that was pre recorded and aired in november/dec on sunday late afternoons was only aired for 4 parts and on the final one aired, tony sounded weak and one of the younger presenters filled that slot up until the christmas schedule. Hope he returns to his weekday slot very soon in good health.

JoeA3 wrote: »

His 6 part 'tony fenton presents' show that was pre recorded and aired in november/dec on sunday late afternoons was only aired for 4 parts and on the final one aired, tony sounded weak and one of the younger presenters filled that slot up until the christmas schedule. Hope he returns to his weekday slot very soon in good health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

He seems to be having a rough time at the moment, afaik back in the summer he came back, but only lasted one day :(

I remember when he was on the LLS & Last Word, that he said, for only that if he didn't go private, he wouldn't have been able to avail of this new treatment & seemed very happy then, but only to have these setbacks.
    Afternoons haven't been the same since, i hope he gets better to get the right 'Tone' in the afternoon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

He seems to be having a rough time at the moment, afaik back in the summer he came back, but only lasted one day :(

I remember when he was on the LLS & Last Word, that he said, for only that if he didn't go private, he wouldn't have been able to avail of this new treatment & seemed very happy then, but only to have these setbacks.
    Afternoons haven't been the same since, i hope he gets better to get the right 'Tone' in the afternoon:)

Any news on Tony at all? Hes been gone almost a year is it, I know there have been a few aborted attempts to bring him back but still no news. There's clearly a great deal of affection for him still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Gerry Lang is reporting on Facebook that Tony has entered 'his final battle with cancer'.

We should all wish him well, and hope that all goes as painlessly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Moderators, I've been contacted criticising me for posting this. Please remove if you feel its inappropriate.

My apologies for any distress caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Ah that's terribly sad news, if true.

Gerry Lang is reporting on Facebook that Tony has entered 'his final battle with cancer'.

We should all wish him well, and hope that all goes as painlessly as possible.

Who's Gerry Lang, do you mean Barry Lang who was on 2fm drivetime, now flies for a living.

As he was at Radio1 on Derek Mooney's show a while ago & Barry said Tony would be on later, as soon as he gets past security guards, as i assume he'd heard Tony's comments on saying '2fm's dead' which was unfortunate :o

But i'll take a line from his fave singer The Boss, that he's 'Tougher Than The Rest'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Who's Gerry Lang, do you mean Barry Lang who was on 2fm drivetime, now flies for a living.'

Gerry Lang is Barry Lang's brother, radio name Gerry Stevens.

Red Fred wrote: »
    Gerry Lang is Barry Lang's brother, radio name Gerry Stevens.

Thanks for that, as i'd read he was to be back around at end of month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I don't think there is anyone here wishing Tony nothing but the best for the future no matter what the circumstances are and there was certainly no malice or gossiping with all due respect to the posters above more a genuine concern But as mark of respect I'll close this thread for the time being as requested by his producer Lia Murphy and respect his friends and family at this time we shall honour their wishes at this time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement