Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4fm breakfast with Damien and Pj

• 12-11-2014 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

What are people's opinions, if any, of the new brekkie show on 4fm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ross_95

Comedy and tv work most have dried up badly for Gallagher to end up on classic hits 4fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Didn't think much of the bit I heard. Damian is fine on his own but he's kinda old school, a bit smashy and nicey, so I don't think his style is a good fit with a smart arsed "comedian" alongside him.

Gallagher is one of those shouty "comedians" that's ok in small doses but i don't think I could listen to him at that hour of the day for more than 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

There was Jim mcabe jingles leading into the 9 o clock news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

MrMac84 wrote: »
    There was Jim mcabe jingles leading into the 9 o clock news

Alternative comedy a la PJ I assume or is it post modern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

Damien is pure cliche, one dimensional cheese. '10 minutes to the big hour of 8' ' Playing all your favourites'

Now he has to pretend to be best buddies with a comedian who will eventually move on after he realises that he cant do the same routine
    for 18 months straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Wondering how they can afford PJ when they are so financially unstable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Wondering how they can afford PJ when they are so financially unstable.

It's PJ Gallagher, I doubt he'd be costing them an arm and a leg now in fairness in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he was slipping them a few quid for letting him do the show for a while so he can make a bit of a name again for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Didn't he do a breakfast show on Nova not so long ago? He's one person that has me reaching for the remote.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Didn't he do a breakfast show on Nova not so long ago? He's one person that has me reaching for the remote.....

PJ and Damien co-hosted the breakfast show for a week on Radio Nova. I think it was a practice run for 4FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Is there some rule of radio that says Breakfast shows have to have more than one presenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Heard this for the 1st time this morning the music was very good but the 2 of them doing the links were the worst I have listened to in a long time. I would even say it was like going back to the days of Radio Dublin and their captains report. Believe me folks that was bad with a capital B

Radio5 wrote: »
    Is there some rule of radio that says Breakfast shows have to have more than one presenter?

I know what you mean! There are a few stations that still have one presenter at breakfast time. For example, Cathal Funge is on his own on TXFM in Dublin. I believe Stevie Bolger is also on his own on Sunshine 106.8. Is Scott Williams on Q102 on his own - I don't listen to that show!

On paper, Ian Dempsey is the only presenter of his show on Today FM, but as anyone who listens to it would know, he is not on his own for much of the show!

I haven't listened to Live Drive in the mornings on Dublin City FM for quite a while now, but I'm sure that still has only one presenter.

I really don't know why 4FM felt it had to go down this much trodden path. I would have thought it would have concentrated on its music mix, rather than yet another "zany" duo, i.e. two people indulging in inane chatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

TBP wrote: »
    It's PJ Gallagher, I doubt he'd be costing them an arm and a leg now in fairness in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he was slipping them a few quid for letting him do the show for a while so he can make a bit of a name again for himself.

Not going to make much of a name for himself there. Much preferred Jim Mc Cabe on breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mc Cabe has an attractive speaking voice,at least,easy to listen to even if most of what he says is inconsequential fluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

chicorytip wrote: »
    Mc Cabe has an attractive speaking voice,at least,easy to listen to even if most of what he says is inconsequential fluff.

I always feel like he is very direct and pushy in his speech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I always feel like he is very direct and pushy in his speech

I think he has the potential to become a much better broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ross_95 wrote: »
    Comedy and tv work most have dried up badly for Gallagher to end up on classic hits 4fm

Common sense in 4fm must have dried up badly for Gallagher to end up there!

Been listening to Jim McCabe for a long time but can't stomach this excuse for comedy/fun. Awful stuff, forced laughter where clearly there is awkwardness.

As others have said, please bring back a one man show, bit of chat and music.

Didn't 4fm spend last few months telling us they were listening to us - so how did they end up with this?

Like someone else mentioned, I found some station I hadn't even heard of called TXFm I think which has a one man straightforward show. Closest I've found to the sanity level of McCabes old show.

Common sense in 4fm must have dried up badly for Gallagher to end up there!

Been listening to Jim McCabe for a long time but can't stomach this excuse for comedy/fun. Awful stuff, forced laughter where clearly there is awkwardness.

As others have said, please bring back a one man show, bit of chat and music.

Didn't 4fm spend last few months telling us they were listening to us - so how did they end up with this?

Like someone else mentioned, I found some station I hadn't even heard of called TXFm I think which has a one man straightforward show. Closest I've found to the sanity level of McCabes old show.

That would have been me! TXFM used to be called Phantom 105.2 until this March. Never heard of it? There is another thread on this page about TXFM. There are other threads going back some pages about the changes that took place in Phantom before the name change. There is also a forum dedicated to Phantom under Hosted > Music:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Anyway, I don't know why the powers that be think that having a "zany" co-host is going to make a difference to 4FM. Their target audience is the over 45s approximately. Is that what they want? (Rhetorical question!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

One thing I've noticed with this show is that the music policy really doesn't fit with the "zany" act they are trying to force on us. Gallagher will be talking some inane unfunny rubbish in one of his links and the next tune lined up will be something like Whitney Houston's, I will always love you. It doesn't quite fit IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Listened to it from 6 to 6:40am yesterday morning and within that period Gallagher spoke I'd say at most 3 sentances, did a bit of a fake laugh at something I couldn't quite figure out a few times and that was it. I switched the radio off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

TBP wrote: »
    Listened to it from 6 to 6:40am yesterday morning and within that period Gallagher spoke I'd say at most 3 sentences

If he kept it to that it might be bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mao21822

Two of the biggest muppets i ever heard,i am going back to Today FM.
    Why would they want to wreck a good breakfast show.(They have succeeded in doing that)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

mao21822 wrote: »
    Two of the biggest muppets i ever heard,i am going back to Today FM.
    Why would they want to wreck a good breakfast show.(They have succeeded in doing that)

Quite strange that you would choose to setup an account just to tell us they are muppets but it's quite obvious you have an axe to grind it seems. Personally I would have tried not make it so obvious. Jealousy has no barriers it seems.

Sorry I don't really have a comment on the 4fm breakfast show as I have never heard it, although a friend listens all the time and she loves it and she would be in her late thirties and the conservative type, so it's obviously reasonably inoffensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Quite strange that you would choose to setup an account just to tell us they are muppets but it's quite obvious you have an axe to grind it seems. Personally I would have tried not make it so obvious. Jealousy has no barriers it seems.

Sorry I don't really have a comment on the 4fm breakfast show as I have never heard it, although a friend listens all the time and she loves it and she would be in her late thirties and the conservative type, so it's obviously reasonably inoffensive.

A first post could be someone just Googling Damien and P.J., and registering to give their opinion.

Almost as strange as someone who admits to not listening to something yet feeling the need to defend it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

How did it do in the jnlr ?

Advertisement