Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny Houses

Options
  • 15-07-2015 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Is there a minimum footprint below which planning permission is not required for a tiny house project? I had heard it was 11.6 square metres. My second inquiry is does having a tiny house trailer mounted (or on wheels or as a pre-fab) have any bearing on the planning permission question?
    I look forward to your response, and thank you.
    Shane Beary

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is there a minimum footprint below which planning permission is not required for a tiny house project?

No...all new houses require planning permission.
    I had heard it was 11.6 square metres.

:eek: That's about the size of a bedroom! 11.6 m.sq. a house does not make! :)
    My second inquiry is does having a tiny house trailer mounted (or on wheels or as a pre-fab) have any bearing on the planning permission question?

Then it's not a house, it's a caravan. You don't need planning permission for a caravan...but...you do need planning permission for where you park a caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shanekbeary

Hi DOCARCH

Thanks for that. Was curious as in other countries i.e. Thailand, bamboo structures, a minimum (100m2) does exist, a legacy from accommodation/resting space for people involved in the rice harvest.

Minimum footprint - Whilst I agree an 11.5 sq.m. footprint is really small, there are some great examples of 2 storey units with very small footprints, that allow single/two person occupancy with great functionality (fold away beds, drawers in stairs etc.), that although not ideal for families, all us to provide a new bottom rung on the property ladder, to those who do not have the means to secure mortgages for more expensive options. Take a look at what is being done worldwide.

Caravan/Trailer Home - My neighbour has a trailer home in his garden used to accommodate friends and family visitors. He says he does not need planning permission. Is it only a registered caravan/trailer park renting out accommodation/parking space that needs planning permission?

Regards
    Shane

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

He says he does not need planning permission...

So he says....;) He is incorrect BTW.

Hi DOCARCH - Okay, but I wont tell him, he may not sleep :-)

Thanks
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

Good to see other people intrested in the tiny house , im getting my house repossessed and I thinking about building a tiny house I am from up north I know up here there is a hight regulation of 2.5 m for a temporary structure but when your on wheels its a whole different game in the us they are building houses to suit trailer laws , so the eu trailer regs might be a good place to look then there is a code of conduct sort of thing for caravan builders but it voluntary as for as I know if the electronic s and the gas is done to regulation ?

• Advertisement

Hi Pat,

Sorry to hear of your situation but pleased to see you are proactive in seeking a solution.
    I will follow your suggestion and will let you know if I find a solution.

Regards
    Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abbienotawasp

If someone could actually provide me with similar information on a tiny house, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Me and my partner are look to build a tiny home in order to save money in the long run, what laws and legalities must we look into prior to buying materials as ive read many forums and it just left me confused honestly.
    Thanks very much!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If someone could actually provide me with similar information on a tiny house, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Me and my partner are look to build a tiny home in order to save money in the long run, what laws and legalities must we look into prior to buying materials as ive read many forums and it just left me confused honestly.
    Thanks very much!

without being flipant, but there are no laws or legalities different for "tiny houses" than large ones.

same planning laws, same building regs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks very much!

Planning and development act
    Building control act
    Health and safety regulations

List is not exhaustive

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

sent PM with link to tiny homes facebook that has a sticky on minimum sizes affecting tiny homes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭yurtyaherne

mike_2009 wrote: »
    sent PM with link to tiny homes facebook that has a sticky on minimum sizes affecting tiny homes....

Could you screen shot and post that her please?

As far as I'm aware, any structure you plan on living in requires permission regardless of size

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

Do you need planning to park a caravan on your own drive way. And maybe from time to time have guests stay in it....?
    Can't see anyone going through all the hassle and expenses applying for the permission for that.
    Anyway if you were reported by begrudger or concerned citizen if no permission surely you just move it back and forth?
    What are the actual planning laws on mobile tiny homes?
    I'd imagine hard to enforce?
    Only time I see tiny homes are on camp sites. Grand short term but for me not long term. If built to regs and local authorities open minded could get Alot of people out of a hole even short term.
    Food for taught.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's been well debated already

We do not want American style trailer parks here

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

DOCARCH wrote:
    Then it's not a house, it's a caravan. You don't need planning permission for a caravan...but...you do need planning permission for where you park a caravan.

I know of two different occasions when planningbwas rejected so a caravan was parked on the site to be and lived in for a period and then planning was granted as it already had a dwelling on the site.

corco2000 wrote: »
    Do you need planning to park a caravan on your own drive way. And maybe from time to time have guests stay in it....?
    Can't see anyone going through all the hassle and expenses applying for the permission for that.
    Anyway if you were reported by begrudger or concerned citizen if no permission surely you just move it back and forth?
    What are the actual planning laws on mobile tiny homes?
    I'd imagine hard to enforce?
    Only time I see tiny homes are on camp sites. Grand short term but for me not long term. If built to regs and local authorities open minded could get Alot of people out of a hole even short term.
    Food for taught.

Yes planning required.
    Planning will be refused.

You can store the caravan for a certain amount of time but the moment tou allow people to sleep in it, you are breaking the law.

I know of two different occasions when planningbwas rejected so a caravan was parked on the site to be and lived in for a period and then planning was granted as it already had a dwelling on the site.

Can you quote the planning reference number then.
    It’s publically available on the councils website and is free for the public to view.

I’m not saying I don’t believe you....more like the info you were given was a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Looking over your shoulder for 12 and a half years while living in a caravan just to eventually get planning for a replacement! I'd rather buy a house in the area....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

All we obey the law in this forum, comments suggesting otherwise will be removed from now on. Thanks

Advertisement