Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax on newly purchased but as yet unused car

Options
  • 08-02-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I bought a VW Beetle on the 9th of January knowing that it was in need of some repair - got a good deal on it and the work is going well. There's been a couple of delays in getting it on the road, including being let down by a foreign supplier on a new coil pack, but no panic, new part will be in soon and car should be ready in about a week or so to take to the road.

As I got the new registration cert in the post this morning, I will be looking to tax it shortly and get to driving it when the work is complete. However, since the car has not been on the road, will I be stiffed for back tax for January or will it suffice to get the declaration of non use section signed at the local Garda Station.

Even though I can stand over the fact that it has been off the road and have a mechanic willing to verify that as well, I still hate the idea of being asked a bunch of questions!

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fill out the declaration of non-use and have the form stamped by a Garda. Don't worry, they're nice about things like that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Thank you for that, I've heard they aren't too scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

They won't be asking anything, because they are not confirming it was off the road.
    It's you who is declaring it, and garda by his signature and stamp is only witnessing your signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sometime they will head in to the back to check pulse and see whether the vehicle has been spotted on the road, sometimes they'll just sign it off (going off what I'm told in the office by the folk who head to the Gards to get things signed off).

No worries on either account OP, if it has been off the road.

Advertisement