Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Problem

Options
  • 08-02-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My wife has a 05 Ford Focus that hasnt been started in the last 4 weeks because she was having a baby.
    Last night I decided to try and start the car, but no joy. The key turns and it looks as though the battery is fine as the lights, radio, etc seem to work. But the car just wont kick.

Would it be that the car is damp from not being started or should I look at maybe jumping it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Congrats on the new arrival!

It sounds like the inactivity and recent cold weather has killed your battery. You could try jumping it but I'd just replace it, especially as she'll be driving the baby around.

Bear in mind that you will lose the radio code in the Focus once you've disconnected the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Congrats on the new arrival!

It sounds like the inactivity and recent cold weather has killed your battery. You could try jumping it but I'd just replace it, especially as she'll be driving the baby around.

Bear in mind that you will lose the radio code in the Focus once you've disconnected the battery.

Thanks very much! Im so wary of the car because its got low profiles and we've had issues with the potholes and blow outs in our area. We're going to get rid in the summer and look at something a little better!

Ill try jumping it tonight and then get a new battery before the weekend. Its due the NCT on Saturday so Im hoping its nothing major!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sounds like it is just a dead battery from sitting up for a few weeks. It has enough power to turn on the lights / radio, but not enough to turn the engine over.

If the battery is still healthy enough then jump starting it and giving it a bit of use should be fine. If the battery is banjaxed, it won't hold charge even after a decent drive, and will need replacing.

Advertisement