Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car security / driveway

• 07-02-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

After having my car stolen from my driveway 4 weeks ago, I'm keen to improve the security now my brand spanky new car is on the driveway. I was thinking of getting one of those steel posts in the ground that you take out but had a quote of €230 for this which seems a little excessive. Does anybody know who could do this cheaper? Also could I also get a tracker fitted?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Brand spanky new car not worth spending 230 euro for peace of mind no?

Im sure you will get it a bit cheaper somewhere but you get what you pay for

Like verything they are a deterent that makes them think twice but id they really want it they will get it its just about how dificult you make it for them in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Car trackers

Google "parking posts ireland", there are many suppliers. - just make sure that they're insured.
    You can see prices for one supplier here http://www.parkingpostsireland.com/#!__products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A steel post is probably the best deterrent, backed up by a tracker, either a monitored one or something SMS based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Cant they just back the car out breaking the post down? Just wondering how effective these are. How deep are they bed in? I would have thought a large family saloon being backed over one of these would easily press it backwards ripping up the end through the drive allowing the car out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Aswell as the steel post, install a motion sensor light. Not many scumbags will want to try break into your car in the middle of the night while there is a light shining on them....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You have to get inside the scumbags mind when planning security. Many of them are lazy so anything that makes them go "too much effort" will make them go away and find another target.

A massive chain and a security light will see off most robbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Buy a shotgun!

smash wrote: »
    Buy a shotgun!
    Theres a sure way to get locked up over your car.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Slap up some CCTV and Beware of Dog signs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Thanks all, post, tracker and light it is. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Isnt it f-ing disgusting we even have to discuss putting a Metal BARGE pole in front of our property that we have worked hard to get. To prevent some Gear head from deciding that our property is better off being his! and he doesnt even have the manners to ask politely for it!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Cell-track do full tracker tracable on ur laptop if it goes walkies, steel bar normally results in thief just ramming car or laser cutter will remove in 30seconds..PM is ya need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Be fairly easy to get rid of a body. Doubt he would have broadcast where he was going to many people. Just another missing person statistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Buy a shotgun!

Nah, that's all legal now man! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

vetstu wrote: »
    Be fairly easy to get rid of a body. Doubt he would have broadcast where he was going to many people. Just another missing person statistic!
    Have a supply of pigs ready to dispose of the body.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Buy a shotgun!

Nah, that's all legal now man! ;)
    Not really the forum to go into it in detail about it so all ill say is no its not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

The biggest problem with the posts is that its very easy to just not use it. Every single day whether you are tired or if it is raining or a hurricane you must use it. To not use it actually highlights an opportune time to rob it.
    Im just not that into protecting my car, although maybe if it was worth robbing i would feel differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

A brand new car would have to be stolen with keys, so they'll be coming into your house anyways. Are you going to keep the key for the post on your keyring along with the car keys? Sure then it's no use...

If you plan on hiding the key for the post, bear in mind the stories that get posted about when these scumbags can't find car keys - usually involving waking up to them standing over you with a kettle full of boiling water asking you where your keys are. I've seen that story posted here quite often, so while it may be a bit of an urban legend, I'm sure scumbags could read it and get ideas. I'd probably be among the skeptics too, only I heard it myself from a Garda after my dad's car was taken.

Tracker is the best option. Even if it is just a hidden phone with a hardwired charger and WheresMyDroid installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

jumbone wrote: »
    A brand new car would have to be stolen with keys, so they'll be coming into your house anyways. Are you going to keep the key for the post on your keyring along with the car keys? Sure then it's no use...

Not necessarily, the car that I had stolen was an 08 Focus and they didn't get the keys. No idea what they did but maybe they got in, let the handbrake off and towed it or put in on a trailer.

Advertisement