Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizon Channels - Virgin

Options
  • 12-11-2015 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Tonight I've noticed a few new channels on Horizon.

142 - Channel 4 HD
    226 - H2 (I think that is new)
    241 - Russia Today

Great to see new channels - finally.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

142 - Channel 4 HD
    241 - Russia Today

Plus comedy central HD and Nickelodeon HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If past experience is anything to go by, they will move that CH 4 HD channel up to 111 on Horizon boxes before long and remove the SD version altogether.

For example, on my Pace (HD) multiroom box in the bedroom, BBC1 SD is on 109 and BBC1 HD is on 139 but on the Horizon box BBC1 HD is on 109 and there's no BBC1 SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

coylemj wrote: »
    If past experience is anything to go by, they will move that CH 4 HD channel up to 111 on Horizon boxes before long and remove the SD version altogether.

For example, on my Pace (HD) multiroom box in the bedroom, BBC1 SD is on 109 and BBC1 HD is on 139 but on the Horizon box BBC1 HD is on 109 and there's no BBC1 SD.

Hopefully they will does ch4 HD carry Irish ads? If not it would be first on the EPG I would imagine. Look where BBC2 HD is for example, great see them finally add some new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Nope, C4 HD carries London adverts so will not be moved to 111.

142 - Channel 4 HD
    241 - Russia Today

I wish they would add the HD versions of BBC3, BBC4 and BBC News plus ITV2,3 & 4.

• Advertisement

Nope, C4 HD carries London adverts so will not be moved to 111.

Surely they can easily slot the Irish ads. into the HD channel?

Surely they can easily slot the Irish ads. into the HD channel?

No, it's not easy. A separate satellite stream is required. C4 only has one HD version .. they don't have separate versions for the various UK regions so I can't see us getting one anytime soon, if ever.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, it's not easy. A separate satellite stream is required. C4 only has one HD version .. they don't have separate versions for the various UK regions so I can't see us getting one anytime soon, if ever.

Not necessarily. At this stage, Virgin gets most of it's channel feeds over fiber connections, not via satellite. They would only use satellite as a last ditch backup.

So it would be relatively easy for C4 to supply an Irish variant of the HD channel over fiber, even if they didn't have the bandwidth for it on satellite.

Now I'm not saying they will bother to do this, but satellite capacity definitely isn't a reason why they wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You'd be surprised as to how much TV is still sourced by providers over satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Does C4 HD definitely not come under the public service broadcasters RTE/BBC that Virgin can't demand an HD sub for?

I'm guessing it doesn't as it is blocked on mine but just curious as C4 does get some public service funding I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wonder if they've any plans to make the app actually work.

FilmOn ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Watching sky news hd,it's all Irish opt out ads on it now. Can they not swap out the sd version at this point? ?

mollser wrote: »
    Watching sky news hd,it's all Irish opt out ads on it now. Can they not swap out the sd version at this point? ?

Indeed, likewise for Sky1 which now has an Irish HD stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is Sky Sports/Movies/Bt available on Horizon?

mikeym wrote: »
    Is Sky Sports/Movies/Bt available on Horizon?

Yes - if you pay for them, they're premium channels.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/television/premium-channels/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Morf wrote: »
    Does C4 HD definitely not come under the public service broadcasters RTE/BBC that Virgin can't demand an HD sub for?

I'm guessing it doesn't as it is blocked on mine but just curious as C4 does get some public service funding I think.

It doesn't get any funding, but is still a public service channel. It is state owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

icdg wrote: »
    It doesn't get any funding, but is still a public service channel. It is state owned.
    Channel 4 is state owned? I don't think so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

http://www.channel4.com/info/corporate/about

Dont just take my word for it, read it from the horse's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

Just goes to show, I always assumed it was a plc.:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Possibly not for long the way the Tories are going, but it has been state owned since day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Just to confirm EPG numbers

142 Channel 4 HD - Value HD Pack
    177 Comedy Central HD - Value HD Pack

241 RT - Value Pack
    226 H2 - Max Pack

634 Nickelodeon HD - Value HD Pack

Unfortunately Channel 4 HD requires the HD pack and not just a HD box like the RTE, TV3, TG4, UTVI and BBC HD channels

These 3 new HD channels brings the total to 45 HD channels on VM

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

There's a bt sports app now on horizon box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

These 3 new HD channels brings the total to 45 HD channels on VM

It's 46 HD channels, forgot BT Sport Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sorry for going slightly off topic but if your using the Horizon app and your in a house that isnt Virgin Media Wi-fi will it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah. Most of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

For some channels where they have the rights to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

what about the cbs channels will virgin carry them at any time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    what about the cbs channels will virgin carry them at any time

Despite shared ownership in the past, UPC never bothered with them so I'd not hold out much hope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

We hope you’re enjoying being one of the first people in Ireland to try our great new FREE Horizon features
    On top of all the features you’re enjoying, we’ve added some more channels:
    3HD
    3E
    BT Sport1 ESPN HD
    BT Sport Europe HD
    BT Sport 1 HD
    BT Sport 2 HD
    Setanta 1 HD

Is there something I'm not getting as I already have all these channels? Are they offering them for free now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

I was just looking at the virgin uk site ,they have a very good channel line up compared to the Irish virgin line up

Advertisement