Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(NOT)Getting a Horizon box

Options
  • 10-11-2015 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Am going to get a Virgin 3 ( tv/phone/internet ) in 1 deal. Currently have a UPC box ( black cisco one ).
    From what I gather I will be told to get the Horizon box which i think is the TV + internet, I have been told its a piece of **** and not nice. I have also heard that you can "force" them to give you a separate modem. So I'm asking,

(a) How to force them to give me a separate modem tv boxes ?

(b) Is the Horizon box that bad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I was also looking into trying the Horizon box. Played with it in store a few times - doesn't seem too bad (apart from that daft remote). Like you, have the same black Cisco receiver at the moment.

Was told there would be a once-off charge for decoupling the TV and internet of €40. It's a bitter pill to swallow but at least it's an option, especially after Bridgegate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

About a dozen consistent Internet naysayers on boards and well over a hundred thousand horizon customers...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Using it for a year now its not that bad i have never had an issue with it i have a small property and the Wi-Fi coverage is excellent throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

About a dozen consistent Internet naysayers on boards and well over a hundred thousand horizon customers...

+1 The naysayers often get heard over the silent majority. We had one particular whinger who was clearly on a personal crusade to rubbish the Horizon box and who dived in within minutes of anyone starting a thread about it. He even continuously poked his nose into threads on the 'Talk To:UPC' forum where he wasn't wanted.

Will be honest and say that some of the menus and options were better (and a lot faster) on the old UPC box but the ability to record four concurrent programs outweighs any of the deficiencies which since the last s/w upgrade are now very minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Is it OK - yes. Would I recommend it - no.

Many people are happy with just OK. If you're not, then look at other options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've had the Horizon box since it was first launched. I really like it. No issues for me at all. It does exactly what I need.

It's not brilliant, and could be improved (what device can't be improved in some way???), but I do like it.

Advertisement