Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handbrake Miracle question.

Options
  • 07-02-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

A few days ago my handbrake broke, could be pulled up the full way easily and wouldn't hold the car. Anyway I ended up driving around with it broken for awhile untill yesterday, by mistake I drove a mile with the broken handbrake up.

I noticed it was up, put it down, and kept driving. When I got home, the handbrake was miracously fixed! What happened? Did something maybe snap into place? It seems as good as new :D I suppose I should probably still get it checked out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What car, year etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

Cian92 wrote: »
    A few days ago my handbrake broke, could be pulled up the full way easily and wouldn't hold the car. Anyway I ended up driving around with it broken for awhile untill yesterday, by mistake I drove a mile with the broken handbrake up.

I noticed it was up, put it down, and kept driving. When I got home, the handbrake was miracously fixed! What happened? Did something maybe snap into place? It seems as good as new :D I suppose I should probably still get it checked out.

Yes.... get it checked out to be sure. Its unusual for a problem to rightify itself like that.
    What may have happened.....
    1) probably due to wear, something became loose (not held in its usual place) popped out and found a new place, hence the brakes started working again. But this may only be temporary.

or 2), cos the lever was pulled up and you drove.....something got very warm and expanded, so the mechanism became tight again???
    Is it free now that the vehicle sat for a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

A lot of cars have self-adjusting mechanisms that are supposed to automatically adjust as the shoe wears. Its like a wedge shape that drops (or should) as the wear increases. Sometimes this gets stuck and doesn't adjust. I'm betting its an older VW like a Polo perhaps? The other possibility is you have a leaky wheel cylinder thats lining your drum with fluid making the shoe useless. If you drove with handbrake up for a distance, you could have burned off the residue and now you have friction again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

Something similar happened to me before. Turned out the brake shoe lining had completely parted from the shoe and was moving around the drum. Sometimes the hand brake was great other times woeful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

It is a 1998 5dr Fiat Punto, 1.2 Engine.

It still seems to be working fine, I have left it sit overnight now. Strange :confused:

Advertisement